1985 GTX + 1991 GT2 20VT!

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
mk2daz
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: 1985 scirocco GTX barn find restoration

Post by mk2daz »

Turned 20 and finished my last exam the other day there so can focus my attention back to the scirocco :D

Got out today and managed to grab a few bits here and there from a breaker that wasn't too far from home. It's been sat 10+ years but the shell is surprisingly good. I'm actually considering buying that shell and transferring the bits over from the GTX! Decisions... :lol:

anyway grabbed these off it today until I decide what to do. Took a fair while getting the wings off in the cold frost with limited tools but I'm glad I kept at as they were worth every penny. The drivers door is really solid and the bottom corner where they tend to go is solid too

Also grabbed the front bumper as the clips and bumper skin are broken on my current one.

The project is a bit on hold for the moment as waiting for some storage space to start work on her, the weather and dark evenings aren't helping much either..

il need to take a bit of time to think about the whole reshell idea, the donor shell is a red GT2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mk2daz

Re: 1985 scirocco GTX barn find reshell/restoration

Post by mk2daz »

As you can see from the change of title of the thread I am going for the reshell.

It was too good an offer to refuse and the amount of work in terms of welding up the body will be reduced.

This morning I went and picked up the red J reg GT2 shell. Took some of my own steelies along to bolt on so it was rolling and we could get it on/off the trailer. I will be transferring everything over from the GTX. Bodywork wise the GT2 is a lot more solid. The sills may need one minor patch and the rear valance is needing patched up similar to the gtx. The rear arches don't feel to bad underneath, The bulkhead is like new, front valance and slam panel are solid. It was raining pretty badly today so got the car home and under a cover and on the next dry day il start taking out the grubby carpet etc and drying everything up and go from there. Plan is to straighten all the bodywork and respray in tornado red then transfer everything I can from the gtx over renewing things like wishbones brakes suspension etc. Basically to build a tornado red GTX... :-D

Heres a couple pictures of the shell

Not the best pictures but its all I got.

BlackGTX

Post by BlackGTX »

if your gonna keep the gt2 interior my gtx needs the original seats

ive got a excellebt condition set of designer cheque ones if a swap can be done

mk2daz

Post by mk2daz »

BlackGTX wrote:if your gonna keep the gt2 interior my gtx needs the original seats

ive got a excellebt condition set of designer cheque ones if a swap can be done
Sorry pal il be keeping the early GTX interior!

Good luck with the search though.

steve bain

Post by steve bain »

Well this escalated quickly! At least you will have loads of spares. Keep the pics coming. I like your thread.

My build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14083
mk2daz

Post by mk2daz »

Small picture heavy update..

Been pretty tied up for spare time lately and the weather hasn't been too great but iv started to strip the GT2 shell down, waiting for some storage space and finer weather before I rip out the engine and start some welding.

couple of pics of the shell, it was jam packed full of S**T from where it had been sitting, newspapers from 1996 and bumpers lights etc from other cars.

Engine is still in the car and it does turn over by hand, not sure its really worth much the way its sitting though.

stripped out the interior, the carpet, and pretty much most of the junk that was in the car

started to take the loom out

Will be handy to keep a hold of!

bulkhead sound deadening was out next, it was soaking! removed the heater box as well and kept a hold of it

stripped some of the ancillaries from the engine, washer bottles plastics etc

bulkhead seems pretty good, im gonna strengthen it anyway for good measure

then removed boot carpet to check out the boot floor, to my delight its solid and so are the suspension turrets and surrounding areas where the gtx had holed through

and then brushed up and cleaned it all up

Its quite hard to see and I never took any proper pictures at the time but there are two holes symmetrical to each other right behind the inner seat rails right in the corners that will need welded

Thats about it really! not much unfortunately

Im pondering which engine to go for, Il either stick in the 1800 Kjet from the GTX or il go down the route of 1.8 20VT from a mk4 golf. Its a long way away till I'll be doing this anyway but 150hp unmodified in a little scirocco is quite tempting!

When I get some space in the garage the car will be stripped right down to a bare shell and it will be put on a spit to straighten out the bodywork

My mk2 golf will be getting used daily until this scirocco is built and the plan is to take the golf off the road for restoration and daily the scirocco!

more to come

daz

mk2daz

Post by mk2daz »

OK slight lack of update on this one

Busy at uni and poor weather and a MOT prep for the mk2 golf have gotten in the way of things (it passed though, happy days!)

I've been doing plenty of reading on the web and on here and I have decided that I am going to go for a 20vt conversion for the red gt2

Just awaiting some storage space to get things started then the purchase of a donor car to really get going with it... I'm thinking tornado red, bodykitless (I think, I'll have a spare bodykit anyway if I change my mind), lowered, early GTX interior, possibly wide grill up front deleting the inner lights

If I was going bodykit it would be something along these lines! I'll see how it goes

Some parts will need transferred from the GTX such as the dash, interior, sunroof etc etc

But long term plan for the gtx is to restore it to an original standard, keeping the K-Jet injection engine and just building a lovely OEM original car! probably put the original seats back in when it comes to it

Not really sure how to title this thread now... :P. should I separate them into two?

mk2moo

Re: 1985 scirocco GTX barn find restoration

Post by mk2moo »

mk2daz wrote:I came across this last night while browsing through Instagram, a lad used mk1 golf rear arches on his mk2 scala, they seem to fit pretty nicely and would obviously be a cheaper alternative for replacement arches.

They look a bit wider than standard Rocco ones so I'm Not sure if this would interfere with the fitting of the bodykit

Has anyone done this before? It's tempting me because the arches are available at 17£ a side from heritage

Daz

Awesome my car was noticed through Instagram.

I would say they look awesome on mk1 golf arches. It is easy to do the outer skin but to do it properly you also want to do the inner. I found getting the inner right was the hardest part.

I have since chopped these our and making my own bolt on arches which are in touch with the berg Cup style. Silly thing was this was after finishing all 4 arches!

mk2daz

Re: 1985 GTX barn find + 1991 GT2 20VT!

Post by mk2daz »

Got some time on the gt2 yesterday so went about stripping off the bodykit to see what's what's hiding underneath

Now for the bad bits:

Rear valance

Front valance

and some pictures of the bonnet which is rotten

And there is a fair bit of rust around the number plate lights, is there a repair section for this?

so a fair bit of work to be getting on with!

I'm looking for a straight bonnet, a rear valance, a front valance if anyone knows of anything

Cheers

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Your rear wheel arches look rust free, that's a bit of good luck.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
mk2daz

Post by mk2daz »

mark1gls wrote:Your rear wheel arches look rust free, that's a bit of good luck.
Yeah they are good considering the time the car has sat for! Just the valances letting it down.. I'm searching far and wide for donor panels though as I don't fancy the cost of the full rear panel from Germany especially when it's only the lower section needing done..

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

If you keep the body kit it will hind the rear valance and you can get it patched up?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
mk2daz

Post by mk2daz »

mark1gls wrote:If you keep the body kit it will hind the rear valance and you can get it patched up?
I'm planning no bodykit, but il have the kit spare anyway if I change my mind

Nigel GTII

Post by Nigel GTII »

OMG - just seen your post - you cannot be serious about restoring that - it's a breaker by miles ! To resort that you must have serious issues ha ha !

mk2daz

Post by mk2daz »

Nigel GTII wrote:OMG - just seen your post - you cannot be serious about restoring that - it's a breaker by miles ! To resort that you must have serious issues ha ha !
Im serious about restoring it, these two sciroccos aren't gonna die, not on my watch anyway