1985 GTX + 1991 GT2 20VT!

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: 1985 scirocco GTX barn find restoration

Post by the edmundator »

That age wouldn't have had indicators on the wings.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
mk2daz
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by mk2daz »

the edmundator wrote:That age wouldn't have had indicators on the wings.

great cheers!

steve bain

Post by steve bain »

I think they all had indicator except really early ones and storms, but someone who knows better will be along soon. Go check out Dr dubs scirocco site. Lots of info on there

My build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14083
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

Ah. Someone who knew beat me to it

http://website.lineone.net/~dr.dub/

My build thread:
mk2daz

Post by mk2daz »

steve bain wrote:Ah. Someone who knew beat me to it

http://website.lineone.net/~dr.dub/
I have been on this before actually prior to picking up the GTX as I waned to see what interiors they may of had, it's got some great info on it. Credit to dr dub!

Looks like 85 never had side indicators but they were introduced in 86. Just going by the pictures..

Cheers again for getting back to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mk2daz

Post by mk2daz »

I came across this last night while browsing through Instagram, a lad used mk1 golf rear arches on his mk2 scala, they seem to fit pretty nicely and would obviously be a cheaper alternative for replacement arches.

They look a bit wider than standard Rocco ones so I'm Not sure if this would interfere with the fitting of the bodykit

Has anyone done this before? It's tempting me because the arches are available at 17£ a side from heritage

Daz

steve bain

Post by steve bain »

they are indeed wider and the bodykit will no way fit so you would have to go kitless. i love the look of them with the mk1 arches but it does mean that you need get get all the crusty rusty bits looking perfect with no bodykit. you would have to do the front wings to match too and is likely more work than you would think!

My build thread:
mk2daz

Post by mk2daz »

Took the wings off yesterday morning to see what the inner wings were like, they are pretty solid so that is good, you can also see how bent the front valance is in these pictures too.

Passenger side first:

the drivers side:

Not entirely sure what I will do with these yet, I definitely won't be scrapping them anyway.

This is how she is looking.. When time persists and weather gets better I will crack on and get on with the panel repair, I'm still practicing with the welder so hopefully when the time comes il be confident enough to go ahead and get stuck in.

Invested in a cheap cover from eBay to hopefully help keep water out, only £11 posted next day so will do for the time being!

Made up some spacers from wood to wedge up behind the front valance to hopefully reshape it over time, its still not quite where it should be I don't think but its slightly better anyway. Im sure the front panel will be off at some point in the near future so il get it lined up better then. more to come!

hiltow

Post by hiltow »

Interesting detail re. the wing indicators from '86> model years - hadn't noticed before.

That said, I've been looking at the picture of the '86 model year GT on Dr Dub's excellent 'site and it doesn't have any indicator repeaters on the wing. My November '85-registered GT is one of the early '86 model year specs and it has repeaters. Maybe VW were using up some of the old wings when building those very early '86-spec cars for the publicity shots?

I believe that at the time VW introduced the next year's spec from the September. Looking up your car on the DVLA site says it was registered in the August (one of the early 'C' Plates), so is likely to be the 1985-spec. The alphabetical model year code on the VIN will confirm - 1985 was the 'F' model year (e.g. WVWZZZ53ZF....), 1986 was 'G' etc.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Is the front valance not hidden behind the plastic cover so it may not matter if it's not 100%?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
mk2daz

Post by mk2daz »

mark1gls wrote:Is the front valance not hidden behind the plastic cover so it may not matter if it's not 100%?
It is I believe but I'd rather try and rectify it anyway while the kit is off, and also where the front wings bolt to the front valance was damaged due to how it was bent so it's to sort that aswell. But yeah you are correct once the kit is back on it's quite hidden anyway :D

mk2daz

Post by mk2daz »

Had a better look at the fuel filler neck today and its not actually as bad as I thought, it would definitely last a bit longer if cleaned up and painted with some rust proof paint. With that said though I am gonna go down the route of a plastic filler neck off of a E36 after some reading of previous posts. I shall get down to the nearest scrappy and see what is there, failing that there seems to be a fair few E36s breaking on eBay.

Does anyone know is it from any E36 model? or a specific one? cheers

Reverend Frog

Post by Reverend Frog »

As for rear arch repair panels, get in touch with a guy called Chris Salaj. I think he's in Belgium. He makes his own reproduction rear arch repair panels specifically for the mk2 Scirocco, which will fit in behind your bodykit nicely. I'll PM you his email address.

Now I'm not sure if he has any available at the minute - I think it's a case of supply and demand. But worth dropping him an email.

Previously owned:
1988 1.6 GT
1989 1.8 GT
1982 1.6 GTI
1993 Corrado VR6
mk2daz

Post by mk2daz »

Reverend Frog wrote:As for rear arch repair panels, get in touch with a guy called Chris Salaj. I think he's in Belgium. He makes his own reproduction rear arch repair panels specifically for the mk2 Scirocco, which will fit in behind your bodykit nicely. I'll PM you his email address.

Now I'm not sure if he has any available at the minute - I think it's a case of supply and demand. But worth dropping him an email.
Hi there thanks for this but I'm
Actually in contact with him via Facebook already, I think he has some stock left too.

Cheers!

steve bain

Post by steve bain »

i used his ones. really good they were.

My build thread: