Project Storm in Cosmos Blue

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
SciRossco
fill in the right answer: 15

Project Storm in Cosmos Blue

Post by SciRossco »

Well I may have bitten off than I can chew! but it is a storm so its worth a shot of restoring, going to take some time and perseverance but will hopefully bring it back to its former glory....

It starts and drives but didn't want to take the chance of driving it back from Glasgow so towed it with the old astra diesel

Checked the vin and engine codes and all matches up so its a genuine storm but it does have a dark history although no insurance write offs on file and checked body with magnet only a small amount of filler on o/s wing

Body has had a respray and chassis is rust free even the filler neck and axle so no issues there

As for the mechanical side I may need to overhaul the engine, possible oil scraper rings and bearing shells or worse....

Electrical side is going to be a nightmare the oil light comes on randomly with buzzer and someone instead of fixing the problem has just thrown in an oil pressure gauge could be a dash issue or a sensor but the mfa works so hopefully just be a broken wire somewhere, electric windows don't work etc etc....so at least i know what im doing for the next few years ;)

1992 Scirocco GTII
1984 Scirocco Storm Cosmos
2007 Touran SE
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Project Storm in Cosmos Blue

Post by mark1gls »

Ohhhh another blue storm has appeared on here, not sure what is going on with the Home made looking "Storm" badge on the bot lid?
Engines are easy to get parts for as they are used in alot of cars.
Oil buzzer coming on could just be a faulty sensor or if it is an oil pump they are cheap to buy and an easy fix.
The oil pressure buzzer only work when the revs are above 2000rpm, the sensor is the one just above the oil filter, buy a genuine VW as after market ones are not always very good, I believe it should be a white coloured senor, you can still get them from a VW dealer.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
scrappy1382

Post by scrappy1382 »

was this advertised on the car and classic site ??? fair play to you buying it and not some young chav that doesnt have a clue.... nice to see another saved and in good hands.

Scirocco Shane
84 cosmos blue storm - mafia car choice 2015 rip :-(
84 Havanna Brown Storm - 8-)
SciRossco

Post by SciRossco »

Yeh it was the one on car and classic, funny because I was just having a quick look for a car for my girlfriends dad and came across it and thought for the sake of 50 miles it was worth a look, couldn't resist buying it for half price tho lol ;) But its going to have to sit for a while I have enough things to do just now and I can see me firing tons of money into it but hopefully get it there eventually!

1992 Scirocco GTII
2007 Touran SE
scrappy1382

Post by scrappy1382 »

look forward to the seeing the work you put into it.... half price!!! bonus factor

Scirocco Shane
84 cosmos blue storm - mafia car choice 2015 rip :-(
84 Havanna Brown Storm - 8-)
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

mark1gls wrote:Ohhhh another blue storm has appeared on here, not sure what is going on with the Home made looking "Storm" badge on the bot lid
It's had a replacement boot lid at some point, there were no badges on Storm boot lids, only the decals on the section above the bumper.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
SciRossco

Post by SciRossco »

I was just about to ask that after having had a look through Google images and not seeing any badges and that comment about the storm badge being home made loI I wonder what someone was thinking to do that bit weird well they will be getting removed anyway it's had 11 owners so I'm sure I'll find plenty more mistakes when I start stripping it down

1992 Scirocco GTII
2007 Touran SE
ThomasD

Post by ThomasD »

Excellent! Glad to see this one went to a good home!!

Here is a thread that was posted here in 2011 about the problem the owner of your car was having with the oil pressure light:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9210&p=66155#p66155

if you search by the author's name (johnsm) you can find a few other posts he made as well.

I know he advertised the car on here for sale in 2013, but I can't seem to find that thread anymore - for some reason some threads seem to disappear. I'll keep looking in case it has any useful info for you.

Enjoy your new Storm!!
Tom

Mk2 Scirocco Storm
Mk3 Golf GTI VR6
SciRossco

Post by SciRossco »

Just been speaking to the guy I bought it from he bought it from a guy called John Smart but never said much about the issues he has raised here! Im happy to find out that to the best of my knowledge it wasnt clocked based on dvla mot history just a new binnacle fitted but the engine is most likely needing bearing shells and piston rings or a replacement dx lol cheers for looking into it tho quite interesting posts the guy obviously tried to fix it then gave up!! got a possibility of montreal alloys so keeping it original is my goal ;)

1992 Scirocco GTII
2007 Touran SE
BlackGTX

Post by BlackGTX »

I got a spare dx

SciRossco

Post by SciRossco »

Where do you stay? There's a guy I've been speaking to in Glasgow that has one as well prob be easier just changing the whole block over lol

1992 Scirocco GTII
2007 Touran SE
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Lots of DX engines about as they also fitted them to Mk1 Golf cabriolet and there is loads of them still about.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

And a nice set of Renault wheels! Just sold a set of those. Nice looking wheels

My build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14083
SciRossco

Post by SciRossco »

Can't believe I've been sitting on this for 5 years now, ah well it's been garaged so saves adding milage to it. Defo going to do it this summer 😃

1992 Scirocco GTII
2007 Touran SE