The A Reg Storm, she WILL live on

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
scrappy1382
fill in the right answer: 15

The A Reg Storm, she WILL live on

Post by scrappy1382 »

whilst driving her back home on a lovely ish saturday afternoon allowing a oncoming car have his right of way i was rear ended by a silly arse hackney carridge driver not paying attention to what was infront of him.less than 20mph he hit me, not once, not twice but 3 bloody times. ( even i still cant quite figure this out )
this is how she looks now[img]
IMG_20160618_135322229.jpg
[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by scrappy1382 on Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Scirocco Shane
84 cosmos blue storm - mafia car choice 2015 rip :-(
84 Havanna Brown Storm - 8-)
BlackGTX

Re: Is This The End Of The A Reg Storm ???

Post by BlackGTX »

Dont worry, your car will live on as part of mine and several others

duggers
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by duggers »

OOH no one likes to see that.
Absolute write off i'm afraid.

Apparently the dreadful paint on my Rocco is PATINA....
Membership # 432
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

OHHHHHH NOOOOOO what the **** :-o
Feel or you mate, what a nightmare, you may find your insurance will write it off but anything is reparable.
let us know how you get on.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
scrappy1382

Post by scrappy1382 »

had a call from my insurance, they are sending an assessor out sometime tomorrow to check the car over. i will keep posted the outcome if i find out by the evening.

Scirocco Shane
BlackGTX

Post by BlackGTX »

Make sure you tell him about all the work done underneath. Propper sell it to him so he can see the value in itl

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Agree with BlackGTX ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
All the work you have done (have you declared all the mods?)... rare car.... not many on the road.... only 250 ever made in this colour..... future classic car..... blah blah blah... :-)

Car hit by a taxi driver not looking out the big front window in front of him and seeing 2 big brake lights.... they are meant to be professional drivers!!! Was he on his phone by any chance? The amount of people I see every day checking and looking at there phone is unbelievable! ( sorry going off topic)

Membership No. 323
scrappy1382

Post by scrappy1382 »

car is now being decided if its a cat C or D write off. assessor came round today. first moment he saw the damage his words were "oh dear". estimated damage to be between 2-2.5k . car still with me. waiting on email tomorrow for final outcome.
with regards to the phone, if the taxi driver gets sxxtty about it, i will ask for his phone records. and yes my brake lights were on aswell as handbrake too.
with regards to mods, i kinda blagged the question "any modifications" er, only upgraded brakes and that VW backbox. wheels on the black car now were on the storm when rear ended. ( out came his tread depth gauge )..

Scirocco Shane
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Why would he get his tread depth gauge out and check your tyres as you was stationary and the other car hit you!
Any excuse for insurance companies not to pay out is un real!

Membership No. 323
scrappy1382

Post by scrappy1382 »

i know, ironic really as he tested the tread on the tyres on the wrong car. the ones i had on were the 15 ats alulines. yet he checked out the original bottle top alloy ones. weird. took a pic of my mileage, the replacement wing ( different colour ) supersprint backbox entire car aswell as the engine bay !!! something seems alittle fishy here !!!

Scirocco Shane
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Basically, if you have undeclared mods or your car is in any way not roadworthy, they can get away with not paying out. Your insurance is only valid if you have described the car truthfully to the insurer and made sure it remains roadworthy. They'll be thorough when it might save them a few quid.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
scrappy1382

Post by scrappy1382 »

the only thing noticeably different is the backbox and the replacement n/s wing. so hoping it shouldnt be too much of a problem. its only a backbox for peets sake... but on a win its actually a vw box

Scirocco Shane
vpreynolds

Post by vpreynolds »

That can be put right easily. I've put several frames straight using a tractor and beam. Tie the chassis to an anchor using the chassis strongest areas on the front and weld on pulling tabs to the under body and as few upside areas as possible. With the angular know how you'd be surprised how straight a car can be pulled with a well controlled hydraulic tractor beam. The impact area has been primarily absorbed by the chassis itself so I'd bet that pulling the chassis straight would rectify "most" of the wrinkles topside.

ThomasD

Post by ThomasD »

I'm so sorry to see this. I'm always worried about getting rear ended - I see it all the time where I live. So many people on their phones. I ride a Triumph most of the time and always have to keep one eye looking behind me for the same reason.

In your favor is the fact that it isn't hard to find advertisements for Storms for a fair amount of money. Just look at B213 DUX you posted recently. You should show that advert to the adjuster. And you could argue that being an "A" reg, yours is actually much more rare. Out of the 600 built, I'd be surprised if even 10% were A reg - probably much fewer.

I hope they give you a good deal and you're able to get the car repaired properly. Good luck!

Tom

Mk2 Scirocco Storm
Mk3 Golf GTI VR6
scrappy1382

Post by scrappy1382 »

cheers guys for the tips and hints etc. i did however get carried away with a heavy duty chain attached to another chain around a big chunky tree. its made it look more presentable given the fact of how the impact was. it will be making an appearance at the nationals 20th anniversary, but then stored back in garage to await outcome.

Scirocco Shane