1982 mk2 build

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
BlackGTX
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: 1982 mk2 build

Post by BlackGTX »

If he makes a bang on template from some original fabrics there are probably a few people willing to order a leather trim

mark watson

Post by mark watson »

the guys are busy with templates will get 1 over there and the guys can see if the quality warrants going forward

so far engine picked up , brand new gearbox from the agents

aftermarket ecu with harness and map sensor

more to come , threw the tank away as it is full of who knows what , will order new tank with built in high pressure pump from agents tommorow

mark watson

Post by mark watson »

buzzed vw and the tank is not badly priced around 110 pounds , sender unit 16 pounds , so just ordered a new one , the fuel pump delivery pipe is still at the bottom and uses an external pump but no acc on the 2009 model , so will just put an external aeromotive in , i thought the pump was internal but was wrong , but not a train smash will still look neat

mark watson

Post by mark watson »

took some pics tonight , and i suppose this is not the way to try fit a 20 valve , bit of a hatchet job , but i suppose that is what the brother in law is for seeing as he is qualified in welding and such so i will keep him busy the weekend so i can get the engine bay sprayed out and get the mechanical stuff back.
just waiting for the rear axle beam and anti roll bars to come back from powdercoating , and a bucket full of brackets and bolts that are at the platers

drivers side mounting , not sure what they were trying to achieve , basically broke it off by hand , but have new one that will go back with poly bushes

typical clutch cable issue , will cut out and fit the new system ( now that everything is out you can see the diffs )

passenger side mounting was the best as i tried to figure where they put the nuts for the bolts

and finally figured out how they got the nuts on , wee bit of repair work , no help in putting the plastic liner in and hoping it will go away

but got it up on stands and is now bare as can be , so a lot of cleaning and paint black underneath

goodies starting to stack up a bit , cant wait to get them back in

well i suppose if i cant carry on tonight , might as well pour a cold brandy and light the fire ( braai as we call it )

just some of the brother in laws handywork , had to do something with the a8 after hitting a cow

Village Idiots
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Village Idiots »

Not just me building a mid engined Beetle then!!
Mine is also roof chopped by 4 inches and has 6 inches cut out of the bodywork all round. Bodywork modding is a nightmare as everything is so curved!

mark watson

Post by mark watson »

that is what he also told me , but he is nuts anyway , gotta keep his hands busy

in his stable is an original small bumper golf gti with extended nose s3 audi all wheel drive / 2.8 32 valve audi motor twin turbo , now changing to s2 20 valve 5cyl setup
an old audi 100 late 70's ( not sure of the model over there ) twin round headlights similar to mk1 scirocco , audi 2.7 biturbo motor with single gt35 conversion
an old chev chevair around 74 model that we dropped a 1uz 4l v8 toy motor in and chucked a gt35 at it.

as said he does not have idle hands , maybe pissed off wife ( im not sure )

mark watson

Post by mark watson »

picked up tank / new steering system complete / gearbox mounting / few small goodies from the agents , big shout out to mike ferreira at our dealership , man this guy pulls part no's out of his head and has been a massive help with the rocco.

even my daughters b7 audi that did not come out with the cover over the battery like the b6 model , he did a check and the b6 scuttle cover / battery cover actually fits the b7 , cleans the engine bay up nicely and no more leaves stuck around the battery looking like crap , and cost peanuts covers and bonnet seal - less than 35 quid

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

thats impressive mark and really nice to see the work thats gone into these projects.
i look forward to seeing the finished article

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
mark watson

Post by mark watson »

thx james

did reply on pm , bit pissed off with dhl , but what do you do
you must see the drama trying to get the stuff at my sisters place crated and get sent here , had less drama from ghana to here .

but had enough of crawling on the floor and asked my guys at the factory to quickly whip up a turntable effort , 1 hour later and i had this

mark watson

Post by mark watson »

ok so had a day off , sent the wife and daughter horse riding , so could get a bit done , 1 off my guys that work for me ( shadreck - good ole zimbabwean ) stays with me , and he pushes me harder to get the rocco done than my wife , this guy has no limits , just jumps in and keeps asking whats next , has no flippin limits , eventually have to give him some dough and tell him to bugger off and go have a couple of beers and some munchies out , and the next 4 days are site meetings / project meetings , plant inspections and seeing new cussies so wont even be near the factory till friday

but anyway got a few things done and started to repair some of the bodge jobs on the car ,
straightened the hack in the side chassis rail

2 rust issues which are not serious , considering 34 years old

my main man shadreck getting into cleaning , the underside of the car looks flippin good , but now i am tempted to stone chip and spray body colour underneath but getting a bit of flack as the wife says i am pushing it to far , but damn it would look good champagne gold underneath ( concourse model ) , did my moms cortina p sign years back the same in antique white and what a beauty , pity as i got done she passed away. bummer

rear axle came back from powder coaters , they even got the arb to match the weichers kit that i imported

now the wife is getting the hell in as some parts have migrated onto the back of the house , running out of space in the garage

but i suppose its because she wants the home gym re powdercoated and it is sitting in the front of the house

but i suppose if she tried this , can understand why the bad mood is there , caught her ear on a screw on her cupboard door , 12 stitches later , dont know if she is blond or redhead at the mo ( and i am glad she does not have my password to the scirocco forum , if she saw my spend detail she will kill me )

even had to retap the sump plug as it was stripped , so went from m14 to m16 to sort out

but big shout out to the following ,
stephen clarke for a load of parts
christopher ruby for plenty even offering to go to sis and sort parts out
james butler for the support
gee beats for parts
sean / mark / chris for taking the clutch jobbies and giving feed back
joost for the parts , many thx , just cant wait for the guides ( got 2 mk2 this side to sort out )
guys at vw heritage , man 6 day turnaround and parts at my door
any many more on the forum , getting old so might forget

still waiting to get my register letter that sis is forwarding , cant wait , the sticker will be proudly displayed in the window.

but as said before , please guys check out the parts list and prices , maybe i will be able to send stuff back at good price ,
did manage to get new tank from agents but slightly bigger than the rocco's tank but did get to fit , slight mod.

mark watson

Post by mark watson »

but what i am looking for is a momo steering wheel , light coloured wooden job , had on my mk1 and would really top it off .

seeing as i am over already 8000 pounds on this build

mark watson

Post by mark watson »

really crappy day , started out fighting with civil engineers on site that cannot read drawings and castings in the completely wrong place and need to be redone , project timeline stuffed up 3 weeks , luckily they work for the client and not me otherwise they would have been looking for jobs today , then my 220 ton mobile crane stuck on their weighbridge and now the exit from the premises is blocked until i can move the stupid thing , so we are giving each other the evil eye , got home early to decompress and the wife tells me she accidently paid a supplier 210 thousand rand instead of 2100 rand , so me thinks disappear to the garage for some rocco therapy before i go tilt. grrrrrr

but got a few things done before quietly re-entering the house

spacers for the larger fueltank
test fitted the branch
got the springs for bonnet latches and wiper mechanism back from platers
deleted the cam sensor and fitted 276 camshaft
just waiting for the epytech mounting so i can see how much i must mill off the side cover
started to assemble the motor ( still a few bolts to come from platers )

but at least it helped cool things down , including a cold one
Last edited by mark watson on Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Looking good fella

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
mark watson

Post by mark watson »

thx mr funk , some good therapy

got some more pics today , as got home early due to cancelled meetings , i am not complaining

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Need to do similar to mine but finding a decent powder coater who isn't a complete climp is difficult.

Lookign forward to play with one of those brake bars.

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.