Yoda

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
Mr Funk

Re: Yoda

Post by Mr Funk »

the edmundator wrote:
Mr Funk wrote: Unfortunately the warm start issue is still there. Leave it for a minute and you're fine. Anything longer and you've missed your window and you may as well grab yourself a coffee as you've got a 30-40 minute wait to look forward to.
Leaking injectors?
It's a good suggestion. Glen mentioned the same on fb.
Think I had the same problem with the Bandit and it was that.

Roh - it's an '83 tin top, so the last of the model.

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

love the mk1 mr funk, i look forward to seeing it in the flesh.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Okay, so update time.

Things have moved slowly, but this isn't always a bad thing.

There's been a delay in receiving some of the parts which has been disappointing. Bit of a pity but not the worst thing in the world, the refund will go toward a couple of bits I desperately need, like a rad hose. It's got a slight leak and seems to pish itself but only when it wants to. Nowt too bad but leaking coolant isn't a great thing and it needs sorting.

The possible problems I was talking about have now disapeered. It sounds bizarre but being in a situation where people are trying to offer you more money and excellent working conditions while your current work place scramble desperately to sort things can be a bit stressful. Consequently I've been an unapproachable, grumpy bellend for the past six weeks (few people have been able to tell the difference). But it's all sorted and means I'm comfortable spending the spare cash so the wheels or suspension will hopefully be going on this/next month.

Had a few bits arrive which have made a world of difference, most notably the rear hatch seal and parcel shelf hangers. Sound like small things the boot no longer leaks and I can work in it without the bloody thing constantly smashing me in the head - It's attached to the back of the seat and used to be held up with a piece of bamboo.

Other stuff is fairly standard - Ordered a gear linkage kit from Martin Emment. Utterly beautiful piece of kit:

In other news, the DVLA turned down my request to change the plate on the ground that it wasn't offensive enough. Personally, I beg to differ but I can live with it for the time being.

Discovered this, could well be part of the problem with the accelerator. Yes, that's a massive grommet:

Someone's tried putting towing light on I reckon leading to this.

Had a chance to finally look at the speaker in the rear door cards. They look like really old clarions

mr.brown
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by mr.brown »

I see what you mean about the plate. However, I find those door tweeters far more offensive.

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Yeah,
I'm trying not to draw attention to it. The plates are now legal so it's harder to spot but I think I'll try selling it.
The speakers are really bad. The more I look into it, the more I think it had all its work done in the late '90's.

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

linkage.............. hmmmmmm....

Serial Rocco-ist.........
Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

It's a lovely piece of kit, almost a shame to fit it to such a filthy car.

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

So....

Things have got progressively busier at work but the work hasn't stopped.

The Kbar, Gear linkage are all fitted and the wiring for the VDOs is all installed and waiting for the sender.

I'm at work at the moment so can't post the pics but you may have seen the wiring issues crop up on FB. At some point someone's hooked up something that's melted all the illumination cabling then cut them at the plug ends. It took a while but I traced it all back and replaced it like for like with kit from Autosparks along with new plugs. Spoke to Mr Butler who kindly talked me through everything and helped me trace the wires I needed.
The upshot of all this is that the VDO gauges are now on plugs and everything works. Eventually, when I finally get round to installing a stereo, I'll put in a new feed just to be on the side.

About two weeks ago I bit the bullet and shipped the car off to the wizards at D and D autos.
Been using them since I moved to Ashford and they've managed to retain the friendliness of a small garage while expanding. It worked for them as they like playing with the older stuff and because there was no rush, they could do it when they had spare time.
Picked up yesterday and I happily confirm that the problem has been solved. Apparently the return valve on the fuel pump was knackered and the system was losing pressure. At £60 an hour it isn't the cheapest but the service is superb and th ecar runs perfectly.

next up is a proper service then I can start replacing the red and yellow stuff under the bonnet. The rad cowling, cam cover and fuel filter clamp are all sat at home.

Bug Jam's in less than a month and the original plan was to spend this month's commission on Ronals but I'm not sure. The sensible plan would be to get a full lock kit, front wiper pump and a new winder motor.....

I could show you the last time I was sensible. It's was a long, long time ago.

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

So this weekend was pretty awesome.
Over the past few weeks a friend and I have been talking to a chap selling an old project. He'd had it for a while, bought a load of bits but was now having to get rid to he could fund another project. We offered him what he wanted and had it towed to mine ready to strip it of anything either of us can use and sell the rest on. He's got money in his pocket (he's also round the corner from me and we ended uyp getting on liek a house on fire) and we've got a load of spares that we both needed.
Saturday morning we went to work stripping the donor and changing everything over. The colour match was pretty spot on (I say that, Yoda's three different shades of Lhasa Green and the spray job on the donor was appalling) and I got a working passenger door (winder was busted) and a boot that hasn't blown.
The best part was new panels. A new Front and rear valance, sills, outer and inner arch along with both wings are now tucked away upstairs in the garage. These'll stay there until it goes to paint late next year.

The news wasn't so good for the donor.

At some point in it's life it'd suffered a major accident. Once we'd stripped everything back the bodged repair was pretty obvious, even to a clown like me. The weld on the rear were shocking and the rear drivers quarter was mostly filler. Plus, there were holes everywhere.
I don;t particularly like taking cars off the road but I think this was definately the right choice, it was a death trap.

Sunday bought another sunny day so the VDO gauges went back in (now have the sender unit for the pressure gauge but need to trace the right wire - not to concerned for the time being). Need to redo the harness for them but there was a delay in the stuff from Autosparks (called them to find out where the order was, turns out I never confirmed the order. Fool).

The rear build is now practically finished - just need the cover making and the foam ordering.

It's still hilarily fun to drive, although th etyres are starting to worry me and I'm hoping to get them sorted in tuime for bug jam.

meantime, here's a terrible pick of me in the yard. I look a little shocked and dim. That's normal.

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

So the past month has been incredible fun. Settle in for some ramblings

Part of the problem I always had with the other car was that I was sorting how it looked. Driving a Rocco means you're already on the back foot so I made a point of making it look as mean as possible and for the most part it worked.
The Golf is a very different beast.

Bug Jam was an amazing weekend. Ended up convoying up with an old bug and a lupo with my little sister riding shotgun with me.
This was the first it'd ever happened as there was a "small incident" a couple of years ago. She was mean to jump in with me but the shear amount of cack she decided to bring meant she had to drive herself.
So lesson learned and me passified she jumped in and off we set for a five hour trip round the M25 on a hot summer friday with no stereo.
Surprisingly, we both really enjoyed it.
(Obligatory pout pic for social media)

Superb weekend, 250 miles without missing a beat. Everyone happy.

Next up was the Scirocco Register National meet at RAF Cosford last weekend.
I'd ducked out a couple of years ago as organiser so I was a bit nervous but it was like I'd never left.
Another awesome weekend, 500 miles without any problem and I somehow came home with a trophy (People's Choice - Basically the favourite non-rocco). Pretty awesome result.
My old rocco also walked away with the best Mk2 and I finally got to meet the guy that bought the shell.
I have to be honest, it looks drop dead gorgous.

Last show of my season is VW Action in September. Always a fave and I'll have the wife riding shotgun/co-pilot which I'm really looking forward to. Sister will be in my Audi and being the blocker when we convoy up so everyone's happy.
I'm seriously considering buying a stereo and fitting it in the meantime but there's little chance of it happening. I need to research the set up and decide which head unit (needs to be bluetooth and dab and have a retro feel if posssible).
Bodywork wise I'm going to run it as a bit of a scruff for a year or two. I might get the scabs sorted, I might not, oddly I kinda like not having to keep cleaning it.
Underneath will be where the magic happens.
I've been stock piling parts to fit over the winter (have bought a couple of scrappers recently and raided them for parts with a mate and it'll get new coilovers and wheels over the winter. Engine bay will get a clean up and colour code and the interior is pretty much perfect.

jpr1977
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by jpr1977 »

You have to love a Lhasa Green Mk1, though not sure about the bottle tops... I am somewhat biased though.

Though its currently hidden away awaiting its engine rebuild...

I have a shed full of Mk1 bits and bobs that i have collected over 20 odd yrs so if you ever need a random part i may well have it...

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Just caught up on this.
Nothing much wrong with any mk1 golf; a properly sorted one in all the important areas but with a slightly lived in exterior? Love it. And use it.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Mr Funk wrote: Driving a Rocco means you're already on the back foot so I made a point of making it look as mean as possible and for the most part it worked.
Not sure what you mean here. I understand it as you're worried about what other people think about your choice of car. Oh, dear.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Not really.
If I was worried I wouldn't have driven them for 18 years and built them to them to the standard I did.
What I meant is that they've always been slightly looked down on and derided by the Vw scene in general. To be fair, that was half the appeal for me. I enjoy rocking the boat a bit.
I imagine I find it as satisfying as you do in picking holes in people and their posts.
You've known me long enough so you're either trying to annoy me or you're generally a condescending tool ed. I expected more either way.

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

So in answer to the other bits:
They aren't my first choice of wheels other but they came with the car.
Currently thinking of g60 or Ronals over the winter but there's over bits I want to sort firs