1988 Scala 1.8t agu conversion

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
ant
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: 1988 Scala 1.8t agu conversion

Post by ant »

mark watson wrote:very nice ant , read from the start , enjoyed the pick of the drivers side mount mod as i am running the jetta 4 apk ( same block ) and very informative thx,
did order epytec mounts , drivers side and modded front but our post this side is slow so still not here after 4 weeks,
going to run a local aftermarket ecu ( have fitted over a 100 of these things already ) but we dont use the maf sensor , we run a map sensor and we have got the standard throttle body with its idle control to work well and so far so good , but love the build really looks good ,
actually have the same wheels on mine
Hi thanks. Would be so much better not running the maf, it can cause alot of trouble when it goes wrong. Need to refurb my wheels as they have been bashed a bit by the previous owner... Another job on the list ha. Good luck with the build!

1988 Mk2 Scirocco Scala 1.8t AGU - now sold :-(
ant

Post by ant »

After almost two years of owning the scirocco and the boot being totally empty due to a leak when i originally had it destroying everything, i have finally got round to sound deadening it with silent coat and carpeted it. I have also made a new wooden parcel shelf, underneath was wrapped with carbon fiber and the top carpeted. I have replaced the two side covers two with plastic (used old ones as templates) which was also wrapped with carbon fiber, just need to do similar to the back seat rear covers that have seen better days. Its made a big difference to noise level which was starting to get a little unbearable!
Boot sound deadening.jpg
Boot carpeted.jpg
Boot carpetedleft.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ant

Post by ant »

Had a little time today to do some finishing touches, fitted the mk2 scirocco gear knob to the mk4 gear stick which had to be threaded with an m12 1.5 die. Looks a lot better than the horrible mk4 one.
Gearstick to m12 1.5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ant

Post by ant »

Also made a cover for the ecu today, normally sits on the outside of the original car. Instead i have got it sitting inside on the tray under the glove box which i recently sourced. Looked a bit messy but think this has worked nicely!
ECU.jpg
ECU cover.jpg
ECU with cover on.jpg

connorj19

Post by connorj19 »

Nice idea of the ECU in the tray.. Thanks for the idea haha

ant

Post by ant »

connorj19 wrote:Nice idea of the ECU in the tray.. Thanks for the idea haha
Thanks and no problem, it does literally only just fit with very little room for it to move (which is good as it doesn't slide. Not fun trying to get the ecu plugs through the grommet holes lol.

bengould
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by bengould »

ant wrote:
connorj19 wrote:Nice idea of the ECU in the tray.. Thanks for the idea haha
Thanks and no problem, it does literally only just fit with very little room for it to move (which is good as it doesn't slide. Not fun trying to get the ecu plugs through the grommet holes lol.

Unclip the plastic cover from the back of the plug and it fits through dead easy. :-).

Ben

ant

Post by ant »

Unclip the plastic cover from the back of the plug and it fits through dead easy. :-).

Ben
Ha I think I remember doing that and still struggling, rookie issues haha.

connorj19

Post by connorj19 »

Do people usually put the ECU in the rain tray? Much prefere what you've done

bengould

Post by bengould »

Depends how the wiring loom is converted, in the mk4 golf it sits in the rain tray. Mine was converted in such a way that it fits in there, or with a bit or creative jiggling, behind the panel that fits under the glove box. It's a tight squeeze but keeps it out if the way of the fusebox and leaves the under dash tray useable.

On the Corrado, which will be getting done soon, it will go in the rain tray where the stock ecu is.

Ben.

connorj19

Post by connorj19 »

Not fussed on where mine goes for the min just want to hear it bloody run as its been sat on the Pallet looking for a home for 3 month

ant

Post by ant »

connorj19 wrote:Do people usually put the ECU in the rain tray? Much prefere what you've done
Not sure to be honest, Ben Gould has by the sounds of it. Not sure what andy (treefingers) did with his. think on the mk2 golfs where the converaion is more common they struggle unless they extend the loom as it won't reach. Most standard cars certainly have the ecu in rain tray. I wasn't keen on that and gave it a go and luckily fitted.

Ant

bengould

Post by bengould »

connorj19 wrote:Not fussed on where mine goes for the min just want to hear it bloody run as its been sat on the Pallet looking for a home for 3 month
The first time did my 20v conversion it was about 8 months between getting the engine and turning the key and hearing it run for the first time. Well worth the wait though. :-).

2nd time took me 3 days. But that was swapping the engine, gearbox, exhaust, suspension and a lot of interior from one car to another that were sat side by side in the driveway.

The Corrado won't take long, only had the car about a month and already well on the way to getting all the bits together.

Ben.

connorj19

Post by connorj19 »

Wouldn't mind building a mk2 with a pd130 in it after the 20vt is done.. Anyways that's enough hi jacking ants thread, original is nice but I'm too young for that :-)

ant

Post by ant »

Finally got around to fitting new suspension, think it was a bit over due. Few pics of old vs new rear suspension:
Old suspension.jpg
New suspension.jpg