1988 Scala 1.8t agu conversion

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
ant
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: 1988 Scala 1.8t agu conversion

Post by ant »

Changed the alternator as it died last week and seems to have sorted my major running problems weirdly? still a little hesitant when in really high revs but running really well now!

1988 Mk2 Scirocco Scala 1.8t AGU - now sold :-(
treefingers

Post by treefingers »

good to hear you're getting some luck now!

is your exhaust loud? mine's straight through and i am really surprised how quiet it is.

ant

Post by ant »

treefingers wrote:good to hear you're getting some luck now!

is your exhaust loud? mine's straight through and i am really surprised how quiet it is.
Hi, my exhaust is loud but not as loud as I was expecting it to be, now its running properly it does sound alot louder to me though,what back box have you got? I bought a generic free flow one off ebay for the 1.8t, literally just a stainless box with nothing in it lol. Ive recently replaced my recirc valve for a forge 007 one and that's made a hell of a difference for holding boost and the noise that makes due to having a cone filter.

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

ant wrote:Changed the alternator as it died last week and seems to have sorted my major running problems weirdly? still a little hesitant when in really high revs but running really well now!
funny you should say that as my freinds tt alternator died last week and what a pita to change!
brought up all kinds of warning lights and loss of power.
fixed now though and the alternator was only £70 form euro car parts.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Risocco

Post by Risocco »

Great read Ant. Glad you got the car running. Loads of inspiration on here.

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
ant

Post by ant »

james butler wrote: funny you should say that as my freinds tt alternator died last week and what a pita to change!
It's strange how the alternator can make such a big loss of engine performance when on its way out, sensors must rely on a lot of battery power.. When changing mine I couldn't get the bottom bolt out as it was to long and hit the chassis leg, had to cut it off with grinder and had to take all intercooler pipework out on that side to remove it. Had to drill out the bottom thread on the new alternator and find a bolt I could push though the opposite way with a nylock on the chassis leg side. Modified cars really aren't easy to service!

It's going on a rolling road on the 6th febuary to see what she can do!

ant

Post by ant »

Risocco wrote:Great read Ant. Glad you got the car running. Loads of inspiration on here.
Thanks! Hopefully it can help people out who are thinking of doing the same. Noticed ur post on scirocco register Facebook, glad to see your enjoying the rocco I saw you with.

james butler

Post by james butler »

ant wrote:
james butler wrote: funny you should say that as my freinds tt alternator died last week and what a pita to change!
It's strange how the alternator can make such a big loss of engine performance when on its way out, sensors must rely on a lot of battery power.. When changing mine I couldn't get the bottom bolt out as it was to long and hit the chassis leg, had to cut it off with grinder and had to take all intercooler pipework out on that side to remove it. Had to drill out the bottom thread on the new alternator and find a bolt I could push though the opposite way with a nylock on the chassis leg side. Modified cars really aren't easy to service!

It's going on a rolling road on the 6th febuary to see what she can do!
you think thats bad in a tt the inlet manifold is so close to the front cross member you cant get the alternator physically out of the car.
had to use a bar to rock the engine back on its mounts to get the clearance needed.
on a DIY youtube video someone got it out by jigsawing a lump out of the cross member to get it out and used the plastic cover to hide the cut when he put it all back together! :-o

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
scrappy1382

Post by scrappy1382 »

some amazing fabrication skills :-) big thumbs up to your dad there fella. proper job done!!!!

Scirocco Shane
84 cosmos blue storm - mafia car choice 2015 rip :-(
84 Havanna Brown Storm - 8-)
treefingers

Post by treefingers »

Yeah it's a nightmare trying to do some jobs with the engine in the car.. i can't get a socket on my cam belt tensioner!

Did you ever get it on the rolling road Ant?

ant

Post by ant »

treefingers wrote:Yeah it's a nightmare trying to do some jobs with the engine in the car.. i can't get a socket on my cam belt tensioner!

Did you ever get it on the rolling road Ant?
Ha I had that issue the other day, checked my timing n only just managed to get a socket on it - was 1/2 tooth out, didn't make a difference changing it tho after all that work ha.

Not had it on rolling road, went a few weeks ago and was out of action as they where sinking it into floor, low cars couldn't get on it before, hoping to this weekend to sort the last few issues out! Will let you know when I do!

treefingers

Post by treefingers »

you can get a socket on yours! lucky boy. my engine must be mounted lower than yours.

is she running all sweet now?

ant

Post by ant »

treefingers wrote:you can get a socket on yours! lucky boy. my engine must be mounted lower than yours.

is she running all sweet now?
Not totally, alot better than what it was though. Was boosting at 5psi with alot of miss fires, now doing 10psi with just hesitant under heavy load in higher gears with the odd miss fire, should be boosting 18 tho! Every sensor tested and most replaced now..

Getting the boost/vacuum system smoke tested to see if ive missed leaks and if its not that it must be a dodgy map which that same place can sort out, if it is that I will get sum videos uploaded of it being done on the rolling road!

ant

Post by ant »

Now booked into badger 5 ltd on the 16th march for them to sort out the running issues, fed up with my local garages, they don't seem to have a clue, from what I hear it will be well worth the 4 hour + round trip! They have really good reviews on the mk4 golf and Audi sites.

treefingers

Post by treefingers »

You can't beat some proper knowledge, hopefully they'll sort it! Taking my car to the Phirm was the best thing I could have done.