1988 Scala 1.8t agu conversion

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
ant
fill in the right answer: 15

1988 Scala 1.8t agu conversion

Post by ant »

I bought the scirocco in August 2014 off my brother as a little bit of a project, it was a 1.8 auto on carbs with 180,000 miles on the clock and blue storm leather interior in pretty good condition. To start with it wasn't running great and had multiple water leaks, it spent 6 months off the road where I replaced some vacuum hoses, vacuum advance and the battery which made it run great. I eventually figured where the water was coming in from and sorted that too (heater matrix seal, boot seal, rear lights and behind the badges). Put it through its mot in march and it passed with no issues, i drove it as a daily for a few months and loved it but decided I wanted to take it off the road again and put a 1.8t engine with a manual gearbox in it to give it a bit more power.. I have never attempted anything like this so the little project turned into a massive project! With help from my dad (welder fabricator) and friends the engine is now fully in and running so thought it was time to write a build thread! Here is some pics of it before:
Rocco 4.jpg
Rocco 6.jpg
Rocco 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1988 Mk2 Scirocco Scala 1.8t AGU - now sold :-(
ant

Re: 1988 Scala 1.8t agu conversion

Post by ant »

First off I found a complete donor car as I was wanting to use as many original parts as possible, which would also help keep the cost down to. I found a unmodified Audi a3 1.8t agu with around 120,000 miles on the clock for £500 online, viewed it and bought it as it was a great runner!

Donor:
Audi 2.jpg
Nice engine pic:
Audi 4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ant

Post by ant »

Not long after booked a few weeks off work and decided to go for it, on the 1st few days i removed the wiring, engine, gearbox, gear shifter, fuel pump and a few other bits from the Audi. I then scrapped it to make room on the drive for the scirocco.

Engine bay labelled (wiring):
1. wiring labeling.jpg
Front of car and engine stripped ready for removal:
Engine Removal 5.jpg
Engine and gear box being removed:
Engine Removal 8.jpg
Last edited by ant on Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ant

Post by ant »

Engine and gearbox seperated:
Engine Removal 9.jpg
Engine fixed onto stand ready for prep:
Engine Removal 11.jpg
RIP Audi:
Audi 7.jpg

ant

Post by ant »

I then labelled up the wiring on the scirocco and removed it along with the engine, gearbox and everything else under the bonnet.

Wiring removal:
3. Wiring Removal 3.jpg
Out with the old:
4. Engine Removal 1.jpg
Empty bay:
7. Engine Bay 1.jpg

ant

Post by ant »

As the paintwork had seen better days I de gunked it, sanded it down and moved and added a few brackets (the old man welded them as I cant) for the new coolant header and washer bottle, unfortunately the washer bottle bracket was changed later on in the build as the original rocco one wouldnt fit. It was then primered and sprayed with r32 steel grey which looked great considering i had never sprayed anything before..

De gunking of bay:
9. Prep and Clean 1.jpg
New brackets (original coolant header blue bracket with additional support and original rocco washer bottle bracket relocated - later removed):
12. Added Brackets.jpg
Sanded bay:
14. Engine Bay Sanded 2.jpg

ant

Post by ant »

Primered engine bay:
19. Engine Bay Primer 3.jpg
R32 steel gray painted engine bay:
24. Engine Bay Painted Steel Grey 4.jpg

dingorocco
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by dingorocco »

Well done, your Scirocco looks to be in great condition !!

If it aint a MK 1 then it must be a donor

Brownrocc resto thread... http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3070996
eefy

Post by eefy »

looks like this is going to be a great build, I'll be watching with interest :)

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Brilliant start.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
bluestreak56

Post by bluestreak56 »

Fantastic looking shell, looks a great project.

ant

Post by ant »

Thanks for the comments guys, will update a little more, next fitting the clutch pedal / mastercylinder / fluid reservoir as the scala was previously an auto. The pedal was taken from the 1.8t, it had to be altered unfortunately before fitting as the brackets didnt align to the bulk head and the pedal it self sat to far forwards compared to the others.. (some work was done before the spray job but wanted to keep the pics together in the thread)

The pedal bracket was altered first (forgot to take a before pic!). Where the welds are, the inner piece sat up right from memory, slight pieces were cut out so if could be bent backwards, welded and fixed into place:
Clutch 5.jpg
Pic of altered bracket and standard pedal re-fitted:
Clutch 4.jpg
A hole was drilled in the bulk head for the clutch pedal fluid inlet and outlet:
Clutch 2.jpg
Last edited by ant on Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ant

Post by ant »

The large hole that was drilled for the clutch pedal fluid inlet and outlet then had 2 smaller holes drilled either side of it, a bolt with a washer on it was then pushed through each hole from the outside and then welded to the bulkhead to fix them into place. A slight piece was also cut out of the brake bracket below it as the 90 degree fluid pipe wouldnt alow it to sit correct:
Clutch 3.jpg
The pedal was then placed into poisiton to test:
Clutch 8.jpg
Another hole was then drilled through the top of the rain tray so that the pedal could be bolted in from the top for extra support (part of the wiper bracket had to be cut to do so):
Clutch 9.jpg
Last edited by ant on Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ant

Post by ant »

The clutch pedal originally had a 45 degree angle in it, this was taken out by cutting a right angle triangle out of the back of the pedal and it then being bent straight:
Clutch 6.jpg
The cut was then welded:
Clutch 7.jpg
The altered pedal was then fitted to the car:
Clutch 10.jpg

ant

Post by ant »

Later on in the conversion (when the engine and gearbox was fitted) the clutch pipe that is attached to the master cylinder was bent into the correct length/shape, the pipe attaches to the 90 degree bend from the pedal and then mastercylinder is inserted into the gearbox:
Clutch 11.jpg
A small motorbike fluid reservoir was bought and used seperatly for the clutch (was previously fed off the brake mastercylinder fluid reservoir):
Clutch 12.jpg