Aubrey - Mk2 1990 Scirocco

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
T33stat
fill in the right answer: 15

Aubrey - Mk2 1990 Scirocco

Post by T33stat »

Sooooooo

After a few years of trying to find a Scirocco that I'm happy with for a sensible price within a sensible radius of me I have finally come across a car I have decided to call Aubrey, the car is a two owner from new GT2... Pretty much all standard with very little rust, car seems to run good, a little bit noisy (believe it to be the alternator) the clocks don't work, the accelerator peddle has dropped and no current MOT.

For the MOT it needs rear wheel bearings, rear brake hoses and a patch of welding, all will be done and then I will look at taking the kit off and see what I uncover!

The bodywork is generally tatty and it has been resprayed in areas and not been done particularly well, it's got a plastic rear window as it was smashed by those pesky vandals, and will probably need a new drivers door, possibly a passengers too.

Anyway... Some pictures to follow and hopefully regular updates

Mk2 1.8 GT2 Project - Aubrey

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19331

mr.brown

Re: Aubrey - Mk2 1990 Scirocco

Post by mr.brown »

Looking forward to pics ;-)

T33stat

Post by T33stat »

So the first few pictures of when she was delivered :)

T33stat

Post by T33stat »

Progress on week 1...

'Rust' hole that failed the MOT... Was actually a big ass stone that has broken a bit of the arch liner off and punctured the strut tower...

Hole cut out

Plate to be welded flush

Also has two little bits of corrosion on the strut tower but will grind these back and treat then re-paint.

Also done the two rear wheel bearings...

Just the brake pipes to go and then it's MOT time

the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by the edmundator »

T33stat wrote: 'Rust' hole that failed the MOT... Was actually a big ass stone that has broken a bit of the arch liner off and punctured the strut tower...
Nah, they all rust there thanks to the filler neck trapping dirt and moisture.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
T33stat

Post by T33stat »

The stone was still ontop of the arch liner...

Or maybe that was just co-incidence

I have tried to straighten out the door a little, but the panel just pops back into a dent as soon as you apply any pressure to it, guess the damage and length of time has made that the natural shape... Any idea how to keep this in the outer position? May try heating and cooling and see if that helps

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

I think a fast-moving stone might pierce a fragile rusty patch, but not solid metal.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
T33stat

Post by T33stat »

Makes sense really. Weakened through corrosion and then the stone was the straw that broke the camels back!

connorj19

Post by connorj19 »

Was this on eBay by any chance?

T33stat

Post by T33stat »

Nope never seen the open market really, was owned by a gentleman in Doncaster until he passed away, then taken by his son to Glastonbury who had it for a year in his garage (but didn't register with DVLA) before finally deciding he wasn't going to keep the car. He has a very nice old Porsche and I guess two classics is just too much effort to maintain!

As far as I'm aware I was the first to view and bought her :)

T33stat

Post by T33stat »

So not really made that much progress recently, in in the process of moving house and it's dark by the time I get home from work so motivation is low!

I have however welded in the plate and ground back, gave it a quick slap of hammerite rust protection paint to keep it nice till I get some paint and give the area a decent little re-spray.

Also nocked the dent out in the door but found the metal to be stretch and with the slightest nudge it popped straight back in, was advised the solution for this is to heat and rapidly cool the panel and let it retake it's original form, spent a few hours doing it so far and it's much better... Pressure in the right place will make it pop back in but no where near as bad! Hopefully a little more time will improve it further! Would be a shame to replace the door as it's pretty much solid other than the dent! Just a little surface rust at the bottom.

T33stat

Post by T33stat »

So attempted the brake hoses over the weekend... Didn't go well

The pipe end of the joint is very damaged and the nut rounded off, am going to try and salvage it by cutting the nut down from an 11mm to a 10mm but will probably end up replacing the rear pipes.

Had to drop the beam to get access as there wasn't enough clearance to get between the tank and the beam to undo the nuts :(

It's all back together now but the breaks don't work until I can re-seal the system!

On another note I put a new battery in her as it was stuttering a little with the lights and blower on, dropped to around 11.5/12v. New battery in and sits happy at 13.3v

Went for something with a little more CCV for those cold lonely mornings...

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Crows foot spanners are handy to use on brake lines as they have a little bit more metal to hold on the to the nut.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Siegen ... SwgNRV70Vw

I also found I could undo the rears with this tool with out the need to drop the rear beam but on the plus side you know the nut's holding the rear beam aren't sized on.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
T33stat

Post by T33stat »

Didn't even know they existed! Ordered a set up, I'm sure they will come in handy!

Decided to drop the beam completely, replace both brake pipes, seemed a good opertunity to wire brush the beam and give it a coat of lime green paint... I kid, I went for black!

Unfortunately didn't get a picture of it when it was off but here it is back on.

Both hoses were changed as required for the MOT...

That's about as far as I got today, the passengers hose came off no problem but I thought as I was replacing one pipe I might aswell do both!

T33stat

Post by T33stat »

Went out today and bled the brakes 3 times, kept getting little pockets of air, think I will leave it to settle and drive it around the block a few times and then bleed again, used the Haynes which suggested

Drivers rear,
Passengers rear,
Drivers front,
Passengers front,

Repeated 3 times in the pouring rain...

Need extra brownie points for this!