Two brown Scirocco's! Mk2 Storm - Ianaudia4

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
stormin

Two brown Scirocco's! Mk2 Storm - Ianaudia4

Post by stormin »

Hi All, I'm Paul and as promised here's the start of my restoration thread for the Mk2 Storm that I bought following the very sad loss of Ian Croucher RIP. I hope what I achieve would meet with his approval and all of yours too. My plans will be to restore the car keeping it mainly standard, but just adding a few personal touches here and there.

So, as collected from Ian's mum and dad and on our way back to Hampshire! And again, massive thanks to Sean, Ant and Peter for their help

To join my my Mk1 Storm that I restored a few years ago!

So its going to be a bit of a slow start I'm afraid. Business commitments and tackling a massive house renovation too means I've achieved very little thus far. I've spent most of the Summer with no roof on my house sleeping under the stars so not surprisingly, that's had to take priority.

The car was quite badly dented, dinked and rippled bodywork wise on most panels.

Fortunately I have one of these who is a magician and straightened everything up nicely for me. Big thank you Jon

And I've been having a bit of a play in my limited spare time with the paintwork to restore some of its lustre! Loads of swirl marks in it!

But fortunately, I have one of these!! You can see how flat the paint looks under the rotary.

And starting to look much better!!

So, a very slow start, but I wanted to show its in good hands!! I still haven't had much time to decide how to tackle the Storm but watch this space!

My girlfriend thinks Scirocco's only came in brown!!
ThomasD
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Two brown Scirocco's! Mk2 Storm - Ianaudia4

Post by ThomasD »

Very nice start! Glad to see Ian's Storm went to a good home. That Mk1 is beautiful too! That will be a very nice collection!

Best,
Tom

Mk2 Scirocco Storm
Mk3 Golf GTI VR6
bluestreak56
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by bluestreak56 »

Fantastic to see its gone to a good home .. Ian would be proud!

eefy

Post by eefy »

Awesome to see this not only being brought back its prime but also becoming more individual to the new owner a perfect way to keep the car running.

I'm sure many members will be watching this thread with real interest, I know I will :)

Good luck with the rebuild and I'm looking forward to seeing what mods you've got planned :)

Bill

Post by Bill »

Stunning

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Great to see the car will be looked after by you. Great job on the Mk1 any more pictures or info?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Great stuff.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
stormin

Post by stormin »

Thank you guys for the kind words. I must admit I've been feeling a little apprehensive about posting here. I know Ian was a very popular member, I know he must have loved his car, and I know I wouldn't have it but for the tragic events that occurred. It was odd how I ended up with the car. I had been looking for a Mk2 Golf for 3-4 months before suddenly thinking one day, 'I don't like Golfs, I love Scirocco's!' Popped on here for the first time in a long time and there the car was just with its new MOT and all ready to go.

My plan will be to get the Mk2 to the same standard as the Mk1, with a few subtle changes here and there. Wheels are a must, (I happen to have a set lurking in the garage already), and I may have a play with the head lights as Ian had in the past. Other than that, I will rebuild it mechanically, run it through the paint shop and refresh the interior in time.

My Mk1 is fully restored. I bought it on eBay in 2004 for about £600 if memory serves! It had a very brief description and no pictures. When I arrived to collect it, the guy explained that he had never had it running and had bought it from the original owner who sold it following the mechanical issue as VW couldn't fix it. Thus it had only ever had one driver from new with history and only 45k on the clock to this day! The mechanical issue that VW couldn't fix was a seized fuel metering head stuck in the full throttle position causing massive over fueling, which was sorted with some WD40 and the car was running perfectly by the next day. It doesn't get out much I'm afraid and just sits in a Carcoon, and I'm sure you're now all going off me?! I ended up going to town on the panel work, and a friend resprayed it for me as I send loads of work his way.

So again thank you all, as soon as I get a chance to get started properly I shall post away. A house renovation currently takes priority and apparently, a staircase instead of a ladder is more important??! Just don't see it myself!

My girlfriend thinks Scirocco's only came in brown!!
mazellann
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by mazellann »

So pleased its gone to a good home, spent a lot of weekends with Ian working on it, good times!
Hopefully see it again at one of the shows

Cheers
Tony