Show & Shine

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
Chris M GT
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Show & Shine

Post by Chris M GT »

I know some people just think about effects a few years down the line sometimes...

Thanks for the comments really appreciated :)

Chris M GT

Post by Chris M GT »

Anyway as promised I haven't just purchased a scirocco rear panel and cleaned it up, it is really a full car! Ha ha

Removed the rear valance and bumper etc and it's really very clean. The dirty looking patch on the right is actually some tape VW fit so the bumper doesn't rub the paint and it's gone manky so I will be replacing it.

Chris M GT

Post by Chris M GT »

6. So today as I stripped the rear I cleaned all the loose debris in the recesses where the rear bumper fits without trying to disturb the factory underseal too much. Then I applied another coat of rust proofing to ensure it's protected in the future.

Can anyone guess whats in the box to fill the holes?

Chris M GT

Post by Chris M GT »

Not updated for a while and got loads of things I need to get round to posting.

7. The windscreen the car had fitted was starting to delaminate a very tiny bit in the corner on the n/s at the bottom as shown in the first picture.

Excuse the dust it's been sat for a longgggg time!

So I've had a genuine VW replacement fitted today and it is 100 times better. Aswell as that the mirror is now bonded on neatly instead of a big patch of glue that was doing my head in ha ha

In this picture you can also see the replacement bonnet been test fitted before paint, the sound deadening on the old one had trapped a lot of moisture and it had started to rust underneath.

Just a few bits that I've bought...

New genuine VW bearing carriers at over €200 each from Germany :( got new hubs and bearings to be pressed in aswell...

Original dealer plate set

I've also had my calipers and carriers electroplated in gold before been rebuilt with new seals

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Ohhhh I Love shiny new bits!
Keep it going.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Chris M GT

Post by Chris M GT »

I know same here, always waiting for the post man it seems recently! Ha ha

Haven't actually posted any pictures of the interior yet so here it is, completely standard and original...

Chris M GT

Post by Chris M GT »

Been to the classic car show at NEC today and got plenty of dinitrol to seal the underside!

Got a few boring and unclear pictures of what I found behind the arch liners...

Rust free 100% solid inner arches/ wings which is nice :)

Reverend Frog

Post by Reverend Frog »

Love the attention to detail, especially the dealer plate replicas. A real bugbear of mine when people replace original plates with the later narrow front ones with Euro flag insert.

Previously owned:
1988 1.6 GT
1989 1.8 GT
1982 1.6 GTI
1993 Corrado VR6
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Front arches always seem to be very good on these car, not even really seen a Mk2 with rusty inner arches.
It's the rears of the car which is a major rust trap..

Membership No. 323
Chris M GT

Post by Chris M GT »

Reverend Frog wrote:Love the attention to detail, especially the dealer plate replicas. A real bugbear of mine when people replace original plates with the later narrow front ones with Euro flag insert.

Haha totally agree!

The worst one for me is seeing a super car with screwed on number plates!

The last new car I bought I specifically requested the number plates were stuck on, all the interior protective covers we're left on and the dealer didn't wash it... Sad or what :( haha

Chris M GT

Post by Chris M GT »

mark1gls wrote:Front arches always seem to be very good on these car, not even really seen a Mk2 with rusty inner arches.
It's the rears of the car which is a major rust trap..
Oh no that's not what I wanted to hear I thought it was all going too well... Haha

Chris M GT

Post by Chris M GT »

Bought some Genuine OE VW back plates for the front and because they are NOS they had a few marks in the paint which is rubbish anyway as they normally rust after a while so I've had them powder coated in factory satin black for the original look...

Chris M GT

Post by Chris M GT »

So once the Scirocco is built back up and I've driven it for a little while I plan on either rebuilding it completely from a bare shell or working on it bit by bit interior, engine bay etc...

Anyway I've started collecting parts for whatever I decide and just received these today :)

Chris M GT

Post by Chris M GT »

10. So when removing the last bit of the bodykit on the N/S/R arch I found the first bit of the dreaded! Luckily only surface and could have been a lot worse...

So took it right back to bare metal, applied rust treatment, etch primed and coloured. Obviously it's all covered by the kit anyway.

In primer...

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Good job you took the body kit off and found it, as you have found it early you should be alright.

Membership No. 323