Show & Shine

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
Chris M GT
fill in the right answer: 15

Show & Shine

Post by Chris M GT »

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and have just applied for my club membership form as well as purchasing my first Scirocco.

The back ground of the car is that it's a 2 owner 1986 MK2 1.6 auto GT in white with a black bodykit. It has covered 54,000 miles and been stored in a dry garage for the last 5 years.

My only real plan for the car is to keep it as an immaculate yet subtly modified original example.

The reason for the title is that I plan on spending the next few months bringing the car up to standard and hopefully debuting it at the Ultimate Dubs show in March 2016, my ultimate goal is to be on the scirocco register stand.

Any feedback would be welcomed :)

Chris

Here is the one and only picture I have of the car so far.

1. Removed rear lights to inspect behind them (which was ok) before cleaning and waxing. I have now replaced all bulbs and stripped/ cleaned the rear lamps before refitting.

(Please ignore the discoloured washer pipe this will be replaced ha ha)

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Show & Shine

Post by mark1gls »

Welcome to the register, car looks clean from the 1 picture but as always more pictures is what we want to see.
Seems you have a very good car to start with.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Chris M GT

Post by Chris M GT »

Thanks mate.

Haha I know I'm usually quite good at progress pics aswell!

I'll get some sorted when I get more done over this weekend :)

Chris M GT

Post by Chris M GT »

2. The first retro modification/ accessory comes in the form of a Fischer Cassette Box

3. Wax on wax off... Windows!

Now this car is 7 years older than me and with it been stood for as long as it has a large ammount of dust has settled on it so it's time to start with a little bit of detailing.

As you will probably gather once you've read this I have a bit of an OCD when it comes to cleaning cars ha ha

Here's a before shot showing the dust/ streaks

First of all the whole surface was dusted down and a detailing brush used to agitate the hard to reach areas such as under the spoiler

Secondly the windows were cleaned using AG fast glass

Then they were clayed and we're surprisingly clean, I've seen a lot worse on car windows that are only a year old!

Then on to the AG window polish which was allowed to cure for around 15 minutes and buffed off

Finally two coats of Poorboys world paste wax which in all fairness having been using a lot more expensive products is excellent, just to finish off and get them shiny!

So there we have it, how I spend my bank holiday Monday's while it's pouring down.

Waxed so it's now like... Glass ;)

4. Something I think really sets off the rear end of the mk2 which my car didn't have... Now fitted

'Scirocco' script decal

I did plan on claying the full car and giving it a mop today but I've ran out of detailing tape so will have to wait for that!

Anyway next up will be removing individual pieces of bodykit to check/ clean and protect behind.

A quick pic of my daily that was at a show yesterday beading while I wait for the wax to cure on the rocco.

Yes it's a vauxhall shame on me :(

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

:good:
Alot of care gone into cleaning the glass, I normally just use the wipers... :-D
I bet this is going to be a very clean and tidy car when you have finished with it, keep us updated.

Membership No. 323
connorj19

Post by connorj19 »

From the above pictures looks like you pay attention to detail, makes the car stand out from the crowd. Looking forward to seeing this once machine polished!

Chris M GT

Post by Chris M GT »

mark1gls wrote::good:
Alot of care gone into cleaning the glass, I normally just use the wipers... :-D
I bet this is going to be a very clean and tidy car when you have finished with it, keep us updated.
Thanks for the comments mate really appreciate it :)

I will do but so much to do so little time it seems recently! :( ha ha

Chris M GT

Post by Chris M GT »

connorj19 wrote:From the above pictures looks like you pay attention to detail, makes the car stand out from the crowd. Looking forward to seeing this once machine polished!
Thanks mate :)

I do beleive it's the small details that make a car what it is!

I've got a lot of NOS parts to fit already so will keep updating as I progress...

SYNCRO

Post by SYNCRO »

Looking most excellent there :)

1984 T25 Autohomes Kamper (BIFFA)
1987 Scirocco Scala (TERRY)
2014 Golf GT TDi (Dirty Gerty)
Chris M GT

Post by Chris M GT »

SYNCRO wrote:Looking most excellent there :)
Thanks for the comment mate :) this is just the beginning! Ha ha

Chris M GT

Post by Chris M GT »

So I've been cracking on with removing the bodykit and I'm pleased to say so far it's immaculate underneath with no nasty surprises!

Anyway next little updates:

5. A bit of a mundane chore today. I removed the old original plates which had been screwed on into the body with steel screws and rusted the holes.

So I ground away all the rust back to the clean metal...

Applied some rust treatment to ensure the metal was good before applying primer and paint. Obviously it's behind the number plate so it won't be seen. I've only done this to ensure the car is properly protected. I also filled in the 4 original holes which are the ones surrounded with black putty using black silicone to make sure there are no water leaks and it finished up looking like this after a polish and wax.

I cleaned and refitted the number plate plinth this time using stainless steel screws.

And all this to allow me to fit my heckblende...

Got loads of parts to go on it's just finding the time to fit them and update!

Thanks for looking!

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I did not think the rear number plate holder was attached to the car like that with screws? Is there not 4 bits of plastic which goes through the 4 original holes and the attached on the inside of the boot?
No 27 in the link.
I've not ever took one off so I may be wrong.....
http://www.partsbase.org/vw/scirocco-sc ... ustration/

Membership No. 323
Chris M GT

Post by Chris M GT »

mark1gls wrote:I did not think the rear number plate holder was attached to the car like that with screws? Is there not 4 bits of plastic which goes through the 4 original holes and the attached on the inside of the boot?
No 27 in the link.
I've not ever took one off so I may be wrong.....
http://www.partsbase.org/vw/scirocco-sc ... ustration/
That's correct mate :) I've only put those screws back in where the old plate was as I didn't want to leave two bare holes in the back of the car. With me fitting the heckblende it sits off that panel you see.

Chris

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Strange some one drilling 2 holes in the car as its always a good place for rust to start unless it's painted, which you have done. Top work fella. :ok:

Membership No. 323
G Beats

Post by G Beats »

Love what are doing here looks real good.

G Beats.Been into MK 2 V.W Sciroccos since 98.Now on my fourth MK 2 Scirocco. R.I.P two MK 2 Scala DX Engine's.Sold GT 2. No longer have a mk 2 v.w Scirocco as it was stolen back in February 2020 .Or another one know have a 1980s BMW.