MK1 Storm Passes MOT.. but....

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
hermmy
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: MK1 Storm Passes MOT.. but....

Post by hermmy »

Thanks as always Jimmy, the timing certainly needs doing and I'll get this done in the week. I'm quite a novice working on cars so all input is welcome.

jimmy h
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by jimmy h »

Hermmy, no problem, glad I can help. I'll keep an eye out for your updates. You'll be pleased to know the Bosch K Jet injection system as fitted on your car, once set up right, is trouble free and bullet proof. Get the basics right like timing and mixture settings and you'll be sorted.

bengould

Post by bengould »

Gunson do a gas tester for the diy enthusiast. But don't bother buying one, they are hopeless.

Better off saving your money and just taking it to someone that has the right equipment.

Gunson is around £100.
MOT gas analyser is around £6000.

There is a very good reason for this price difference.

I know this from experience. I bought the gunson one, and took it back the same day after spending several hours trying to get a stable reading from it. Took the car for an MOT, asked the man nicely and I had it set right within a few seconds while he was checking my lights.

Ben.

hermmy

Post by hermmy »

Hi Ben, thanks for that. I think you're right taking it somewhere that has all the right equipment. Will get them to do the timing and settings, I think my dad could probably do it all though wouldn't have the right equipment to get it bang on.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I bought a 2nd hand Gunson Mk2 gas tester for £30 from ebay and tested my carb feed Scirocco and set the mixture on the Webber carb 2 days before my MOT and I got the same CO2 reading as the MOT station (I got a printout of the emissions) so mine seems to work alright.

One like this.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gunsons-Gaste ... 1ea47fe30c

If you are not sure what you are really doing then it is worth taking it some where to set it up but you will need to decided which petrol you are going to be using, Super unleaded or normal unleaded as the timing is different for them. I find Super unleaded works best with the fuel injected cars as that is what VW recommend using.
Before you pay some one to set the car up it's worth making sure it's in tip top condition, new spark plugs, new HT leads, new dissy cap and rotor arm (or all in very good condition, HT leads do need replacing every few years.)

The mixture and idle speed should be the last thing adjusted so don't mess with it till the other stuff is done.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
bengould

Post by bengould »

Mine was the newer digital version.
The reading would wander quite a lot without me actually touching the mixture screw.

I followed the setup/ calibration routine to the letter several times. And still couldn't get a stable reading.

Maybe the older ones are better. But I didn't have any luck with the digital one.

Ben.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

bengould wrote:Mine was the newer digital version.
The reading would wander quite a lot without me actually touching the mixture screw.

I followed the setup/ calibration routine to the letter several times. And still couldn't get a stable reading.

Maybe the older ones are better. But I didn't have any luck with the digital one.

Ben.
Guess I was lucky with mine I just needed to get it some where near for the MOT and I was surprised it was close but as you said the equipment the garage uses is far superior and tells you alot more info.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
hermmy

Post by hermmy »

Car is booked in for Friday to have the timing, and emissions etc all sorted out and hopefully getting it running spot on. Now on the search for a new exhaust, the middle has started to blow a little in a middle so thinking of replacing that and the back box. Also replacing the fuel neck filler, found slight hole near the top so want to replace this as well.

Starting to look at workshops and restorers who will be able to take the car in over the winter and sort out the welding and wings for me. If anyone knows of a decent place to go please feel free to message me. I reside in Dorset though happy to travel if it means getting the right place for the car.

Thanks

hermmy

Post by hermmy »

Sorry for the lack of updates. Been a very busy 6 months with work, family and everything inbetween. Haven't done much to the old girl she's been sat in the garage since Christmas, though I have bought a new exhaust system that's going in this week. Then it's onto the body work eeeeeeek!!