Box Arch Mk2

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
mk2moo

Box Arch Mk2

Post by mk2moo »

Hi all,

I bought this of a friend at the start of the year. As some of you may know I have a had a few of these before, one of which I had a decent project going until unforeseen circumstances.

However this one is going to bigger and better.

Wide low loud and fast!

Here is my green Scala injection.

145k was a friends track car. Fully stripped out and the injection engine tuned. Pulls great and smooth.

Not fun enough though and always had big plans for a scirocco.

So I am building a wide arch vr6 which will tick all boxes and what I have always wanted to build.

Here is a sneak peak of progress so far until I update this:

Last edited by mk2moo on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

steve bain

Re: Wide arch mk2 vr6

Post by steve bain »

Oh yes, I like that. Are they mk1 golf arches?

My build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14083
mk2moo

Post by mk2moo »

The arches are made using the original arch and then using the mk1 golf arch. I just get the basic shape I want then hammer and dolly them after a few tacks to get the desired shape.

This car wont look like any other rocco out there due to the other metal work I am carrying out. Will be to some peoples taste and some will hate it. However the rocco never gets the attention it should and this project will just show some of its potential.

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

that's awesome dude. i couldn't agree more that these cars don't get enough attention.
how do you plan to space the wheels out, giant shims behind the axle?

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
mk2moo

Post by mk2moo »

I was possibly looking at having the beam widened or stud axles spacers. I test fitted 16x9 et0 wheels before I modified them and they fitted. Each side has now been widened about 3.5 inches so looking into options on how to get the width. Not one to run spacers so going to try work it without any.

Rusty dan

Post by Rusty dan »

For me I would go with box or tube cut to the right length rather than cutting and shutting the beam. You can then cut the legs off the old beam and weld them to the new. It gives you another problem though with the beam mounts on the chassis. Some clever sod will get it to work though lol

Click below for Rocco build pics
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w114 ... occo%20GT/

insanecreations.net
bengould

Post by bengould »

12" wide wheels. :-).

treefingers
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by treefingers »

bengould wrote:12" wide wheels. :-).
yep..i'd build up some wide 3 piece splits with loads of dish on the outside and not much on the inside giving massive negative offset

Rusty dan

Post by Rusty dan »

12" wide is what I am running for the white lady. you may well get away with leaving the beam standard if you get the back spacing right for the hub but there is not many inches before the wheels foul the leg of the beam. Northants tyres do a selection of 12" wheels

Click below for Rocco build pics
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w114 ... occo%20GT/

insanecreations.net
G Beats

Post by G Beats »

I like what you are doing looks a great idea.

G Beats.Been into MK 2 V.W Sciroccos since 98.Now on my fourth MK 2 Scirocco. R.I.P two MK 2 Scala DX Engine's.Sold GT 2. No longer have a mk 2 v.w Scirocco as it was stolen back in February 2020 .Or another one know have a 1980s BMW.
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

Banded steels made to fit?

My build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14083
mk2moo

Post by mk2moo »

Hi All,

Very slow progress on this. Unfortunately house and new dog seems to take most of my time.

I have been getting back in there since the new year and building the inner arch, again using mk1 panels.

I have also been working on the back panel and shaping the metal. I am removing the bumper and front and rear will be smooth with the swage lines flowing round. It is something I wanted to do on my previous project and will be easier to show in pics.

Also I will eventually be making carbon panels of the rear quarter and front wings once complete. It will test my skills but will be good to have them for when I go full track route.

Pics will be here shortly.

Liam

mk2moo

Post by mk2moo »

Still alive but with very slow progress. Drivers arch done and most of the rear end now. Passenger side half way done, then it's just the front wings.

mk2moo

Post by mk2moo »

Well I got some time in the car today. Got a lot of welding done on the back panel and started working on the rear quarter.

Not the best pics and the garage is a state Image

I'll need to show the back panel progress shortly. Not many will like what I've done but always wanted to do it and it's mainly for track use.

james butler

Post by james butler »

look pretty awsome to me dude and i cant wait to see the finished item.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!