Project Gitanes - 1981 Mk1 GTi - last of the line, built to drive

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

Project Gitanes - 1981 Mk1 GTi - last of the line, built to drive

Post by GTXTRA »

The Mk1

Back in the mists of time....a growing fleet of Mk2's and then this thing popped up on the forum. Rolling chassis project plus a lot of spares - mainly window seals and a gopping red interior. Optimistically priced but seller was open to an offer.

Bought off the photos, picked up by Ant who was just starting out on his move from civil servant to Grotto Ace and was looking for a car to master the dark arts of cutting, welding and prepping on.

81 Scirocco GTI - Baikal blue, last of the line, very little history........
some time in the early 2000's and an 81 Scirocco GTI is enduring a bodged makeover somewhere in the NW.

A few years pass and it has a spell as a scene bbq.

The rescue - just before NEC CLASSIC 2008

Ant started looking at it during Summer 2009............needless to say being a Mk1 Rocco there were corrosion issues......

Early action shots

More filth

http://s54.photobucket.com/user/GTXTRA_ ... sort=3&o=0

Serial Rocco-ist.........
GTXTRA

Re: Project Gitanes - 1981 Mk1 GTi - it's been a long time comin'...........

Post by GTXTRA »

And more filth

An early front valance secured from Pongos stash in Manchester all those year ago

A very abridged summary of the different stages Ant went through in 2010.

By this time the car had been rebuilt literally from the wheels up including new floors and sills on one side, fully refabricated inner arches front and rear, front cross member reconstructed etc etc.

Ant hadn't painted a car by this time so once primed it was important to get something on the car - some Baikal blue cellulose was made up and applied by one of the chaps he shared a workshop with.

It's the original colour, bit of an acquired taste but because this was alway going to be a car to entertain I didn't want to go down the show car/usual metallic route.

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

2011 arrives and while Ant continues as Fuzz I am 'Tim' assembling as many goodies as funds allowed...........

NOS rear lights..........
Rooflining hell............

The all important standing in engine bay shot - heater pipes needing a good pull through............

Looking like a car now

Things stalled a bit due the growing order book at the by now buzzing Rocco Grotto.

Vision for the car was a little bit lower but still usable, some old school rimmage and power wise I'd try to stick with the 1.6 engine if I could find one............. back up plan was to scrap A20 GTX and but the BRM 2-litre lump in this.

More to follow.

steve bain

Post by steve bain »

Nice. I love mk1's!

My build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14083
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Collecting dust and clear indies at the Grotto

After a few false starts with different wheel ideas I settled on a set of ATS Type 5's - 7 x 15' et30

Post refurb

Earlier in 2012 I'd got an engine - a long term stored 1.6 GTI - shifted up to the Grottos Derby College subsidary for GT Matt to strip down and rebuild. Sadly some dampness had found it's way into a cylinder via a loose spark plug.........

By years end an alternative had been sourced via Mk1 Golf owners club forum - a fruity little 1588c EG that allegedly came from a GLi originally before being prepped for a Golf.

Marshall picked it up for me and Matt set about stripping and rebuilding this one - here it is on delivery to the Grotto in early 2013.

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

On a visit to the Grotto in early 2013 - some Newton Goodness and the initial set of seats - they don't fit kids due to the centre rail/fore and aft lever being the wrong way round.

One idea re seat material - never implemented but the material still part of the stash

First try of the ATS Type 5's.

Loomage courtesy GT Matt

Motor in

Summertime 2013 - more new bits are on including AP fully adjustable coilies, a K Bar and a Jetex.

Post pick up tweeking commences

Needed some lowering........

Ah yes - better.

16v_coupe

Post by 16v_coupe »

GTXTRA wrote:
The all important standing in engine bay shot - heater pipes needing a good pull through............

:good: Glad to see you start a post about this mk1 GTi Sean :vcool:

> Looking forward to seeing more updates on this project :!:

88 Scirocco 16v, 1.8 litre PL, L90E
87 Scirocco 16v, 2.0 litre 16v 9A, LY3D
82 Scirocco S2, 2.0 litre 16v 9A, LK5Y
81 Scirocco S1, 1.6 litre 16v EW/PL, LA3V
80 Scirocco Storm, 1.6 EG, L98F, GTG 951W (sold, in PA)

:pilot:
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

It's not been smooth sailing with Project Gitanes.

A few running issues still being totally worked through but it has to be said this is a total hoot to drive.
Would never make for a daily - terrible ventilation compared to the much more refined Mk2 and Ant does one day want to paint it properly.
It's a good 20 footer at the moment but because it's not (and I'd rather it never becomes one) a concours car I think I've got an almost perfect Mk1 Rocco tbh - quick enough to surprise people but not so precious I can't take it to Tescos or drive it in bad weather.

Have a new sunroof to replace the current leakable remnant from the 80's. I think the badge will need changing.

One particular treat in 2014 was securing a set of black and grey 81 GTi spec seats from Craig. A perfect match for the black GLi door cards he'd sold me previously.

Kick plates from a USA Scirocco S - cheers Mr Brown.

Recent clean up including Mer bumper snot - will need a few more goes but so far it's brought these faded old bumpers back to life quite nicely.

16v_coupe

Post by 16v_coupe »

I love the close up pictures of your GTi ... especially the pictures of the wheels (ats type 5), American clear front turns (funk soul kitty) and the replacement moon roof, with LR on it :vcool:

88 Scirocco 16v, 1.8 litre PL, L90E
87 Scirocco 16v, 2.0 litre 16v 9A, LY3D
82 Scirocco S2, 2.0 litre 16v 9A, LK5Y
81 Scirocco S1, 1.6 litre 16v EW/PL, LA3V
80 Scirocco Storm, 1.6 EG, L98F, GTG 951W (sold, in PA)

:pilot:
eefy

Post by eefy »

awesome build mate and a credit to both Ant and you :)

treefingers
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by treefingers »

never knew so much went into this car. awesome.

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

I've been really impressed looking through these photos Sean and Ant - well done! I had too had no idea how much work had gone into this car, you only have to look at the photos to understand. I totally get your idea on how the car should be, usable, and not too much of a garage queen.
Mines been MOT'd and taxed since April and I've covered 150 miles in it - wrong.

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Yes - but your car is a beauty Jimmy and a real labour of love.

I'd love a car like that, Matts or Hywels but this car came from a very different starting point - it's initial purpose was to give Ant a no-risk platform to practice on and if a driveable car resulted then great, we've saved a Mk1 from a near certain demise.

I've enjoyed the little bits of fine tuning - Tim a the Phirm has been brilliant sorting the running issues out, loved sorting the stereo set up with poor old Ian, the door strap excercise most recently of course - and theres still a few things to do beyond the eventual respray.
I've got a clock to go in, a black dashboard insert to replace the standard gold panel and when it does go for paint i'll sort a rooflining, the new sunroof, keep the tops of the doors interior side body coloured and a set of Joosts bonnet lining. Need to hook up with Nate too at some stage to get a decent rear shelf off him.
Peter still owes me a loom with relays to bring the headlights into something resembling the 21st century.

Forgot to thank Jake for the gearbox too plus inputs from Marshall and Matt can never be underestimated.

I'm particularly happy with the fully adjustable AP coilies - they're set up half a turn off full soft and provides a nice (to me) compromise between lowering and driveability. Even in London.

Itching to drive it. Always.

chopperoli

Post by chopperoli »

It's looking great GTXtra, love a nice blue Mk1 daily that handles but of course I would be bias ;)

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Love it.

Octavia elegance kombi TDI