crusty rusty rocket

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: crusty rusty rocket

Post by james butler »

been doing a bit more to the car and im glad to say the front suspension is now back on with fresh hubs with new wheel bearings and a lick o paint.

so i first needed to knock the flange out o the centre of the hub with a suitable sized socket and a big hammer
to knock this

out of the centre of this

then remove two of these out of the hub to get the remnants of the wheel bearing out

then press the remaining wheelbearing out, (conveniently an old brake disk has the right size hole for the wheel bearing to pass through when using a press)

so your left with this

once sand blasted

then reinsert the flange side circlip and using the old wheel bearing as a drift press the new wheel bearing in the same way.

and reinsert the other circlip behind it.

next you will still have the flange with a bit of wheel bearing stuck on it. there are proper wheel bearing puller devices but i prfer the grinder as its free and to hand. gently though mind!

then clean it up and press it back into the bearing in the hub

Image.

with a nice lick o paint its as good as new.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
james butler

Post by james butler »

ive also started work on the new filler neck credit to joost for supplying the cap end piece.

james butler

Post by james butler »

just having to wait a while for the rest to be bent into shape as my brother has a 10 ton bending machine but ive no idea how it works and have folded two pieces allready NOT GOOD!

but while i had the welder out i made a camber adjuster/measuring device that will allow me to find my camber angle before i take suspension apart so i can set it again after. what so special about it is it will take the weight of the car whilst adjustment and measurement can be made to the suspension.
plus it wont have to be on really flat ground. as long as its in the same place when you took the suspension apart ( not like its going anywhere with the suspension off lol) it will be fine.

james butler

Post by james butler »

its gotta be said hammerite really is a crappy paint
i seem to remeber it being awsome once upon a time but no longer!

ant
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ant »

Project looks like it's going well, was looking forward to seeing the camber adjuster device after you mentioned it when I saw you the other day!

1988 Mk2 Scirocco Scala 1.8t AGU - now sold :-(
james butler

Post by james butler »

ant wrote:Project looks like it's going well, was looking forward to seeing the camber adjuster device after you mentioned it when I saw you the other day!
hi ant thanks for the support and cant thank you enough for the drive shafts!
thanks to you crusty will very soon be back on its wheels.

james butler

Post by james butler »

the paint fiasco continues,
i havent been working on the car for the last 2 weeks as its been so cold. i went on thursday to find out my paint job has gone all pimply.
apparently according to the local paint shop they reckon i must have had moisture in the paint which when frozen in the last two weeks has expanded causing the blistering over most of the flat panels.
unfortunately it seems the only remedy is to flat back and start again :shock:
the paint has been such a nuisance but it will have to wait till the summer to be fixed now.
the show must go on the car will be built with the paint as is and i will blow over it in the summer.

i have almost finished the filler neck which can go on the car as soon as i have welded the breather joint in at the top of the filler neck

james butler

Post by james butler »

james butler

Post by james butler »

for anyone interested in the common issues and causes with paint defects this website had some usefull info
http://www.paintforcars.com/blog/common ... ng-part-1/

Chris6969

Post by Chris6969 »

Love how sexy the body is on the Mk2 and this is a great example of when its at its best, NO bodykit and nNo square headlight :P I need to get a chassis tilt though hate working on mine without one :(

Roxanne the Rocco
james butler

Post by james butler »

thankyou for the compliment chris6969 i like the non kitted roccos too but has to be the right colour to pull it off! (so hopefully ive succeeded).

here are some pictures of further progress.

i decided to remove the standard servo and go with the 16v abf mk3 servo and master cylinder and ended up cutting the ball of the back and cutting a thread onto the shaft just like ant did in his 20v turbo rocco to make the audi a3 servo fit.

bending all the copper pipe to get it to fit was a mission in itself!

also started fitting all the brakes back on and realised im missing some bolts so couldnt fit the pads untill the new ones come in the post.

Chris6969

Post by Chris6969 »

Looks good man!! I'm doing mine in a wine red, no bodykit, mk1 headlight and no spoiler with a pd130 engine :D

Roxanne the Rocco
james butler

Post by james butler »

Chris6969 wrote:Looks good man!! I'm doing mine in a wine red, no bodykit, mk1 headlight and no spoiler with a pd130 engine :D
awsome make sure you do a build thread especially on that engine. i will be quite interested on how you get on with it.

james butler

Post by james butler »

so onto the engine for the moment as ive just bought £200 worth of parts and wanted to do something mechanical.
so took the rocker cover off for a degrease and start the timing belt replacement

and the cover put back on with the new timing belt

tensioner now has a built in spring to keep the tension which ive only seen on newer engines.

ive been on the hunt for a new alternator belt to fit the current setup and no A/C

james butler

Post by james butler »

also trimmed the timing chest down to fit the rocco engine mount.

i destroyed the old rubber mount so bought a new one to replace it but what a pita to fit!!!
knackered both my hands trying to force it in with the vice as the mount wont fit in the press properly.