Dazfx's 1985 GT

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
Dazfx
fill in the right answer: 15

Dazfx's 1985 GT

Post by Dazfx »

Hi all.

After much deliberating and searching the Internet ( mainly the bay ) this cropped up fairly near to where i live.

Unfortunately been ill this weekend so couldn't get down to view it. But I thought why not and brought it blind. Picking it up next Saturday.
Advert says it needs welding and a few other bits but I work for a fabrication company so that kind of thing doesn't bother me. I have full access to the work shop weekends and evenings, also benefit from a garage about 50 meters away with helpful mechanics who are there six days a week and always helpful when advice is needed.
Plan on doing a full resto over the months years.
Also just found out that will be moving into our first brought property so have a hectic weekend ahead.

More pictures to follow
Last edited by Dazfx on Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dazfx

Re: Dazfx's 1985 GT

Post by Dazfx »

more pics

rear damage

more to come once i have collected the car.
Last edited by Dazfx on Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty dan

Re: Dazfx's 1983 GT

Post by Rusty dan »

Looks a good one.. Welcome to Scirocco ownership!
If I buy another one day I would like to get an early one without the kit.

Click below for Rocco build pics
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w114 ... occo%20GT/

insanecreations.net
Dazfx

Post by Dazfx »

Yeah it does look like a good one but haven't had the luxury of viewing it
As I was ill over the weekend.
Luckily I was first to enquire about it so just brought it over the phone as he
said he'd had a lot of interest.
Just hope she's not to rusty under neath.
Bit of an impulse buy really but if I don't jump in at the deep end and buy
One I never will.
Last edited by Dazfx on Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

Looks fine apart from the damage at the rear. Chief nightmare on the earlier mk2s tends to be rusty rear wheel arches but that shouldn't be a problem for you.

It's actually an 1985 which makes it pretty much one of the last non-kitted mk2s :-)

Dazfx

Post by Dazfx »

Really that's good to know. Pretty lucky find and kind of a blessing I was ill really then as I probably wouldn't
have been trawling the internet if I was well. A good price as well at 500 notes.
Just spoke to seller and we are on for 9am collection on Saturday.
Don't like to wish my life away but can't wait to pick her up.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Welcome along and that's a fine looking car from the pictures, you don't see many of thoses about I recon its a rare model and hard to find one as orginal looking as that one.
As aleady mentioned rear arches, clean them regular inside under the lip if using as daily drive and check the fuel filler neck as its a real rust trap under the wheel arch and you don't want dirt and rusty water getting into the fuel tank and fuel system.
Keep us updated. :-D

Just noticed from the pictures I think it's even got the original radio fitted!

Edit... Check the coolant level as either the expantion tank bottle is really cloudy which can happen and you can't see the coolant level or there no coolant in there.....

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Dazfx

Post by Dazfx »

Thanks for the tips guys. Will check all those things out when I get it home. Not driving it, it has no MOT.
A friend of mine has a transit car transporter which he uses for his drift car so taking that down.
It's only going to be a weekend toy but will check all the areas mentioned above for rust/crud. And get those sorted first.
What coolant you recommend using? Is G12 the standard VAG stuff?

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I just use this stuff, it's ready mixed or you can buy the concentrated version if you wish.
No need to use G12 as they are old cars.
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-a ... &0&cc5_865

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Dazfx

Post by Dazfx »

Nice one cheers mate will check that out.

Dazfx

Post by Dazfx »

So picked her up today. Was a mission. The fan belt on the transit we where in decided to snap about 3 miles from where the car was. We got there got the car on and then spent the next hour and a half trying various auto factors for a belt, with no brakes no water pump and no alternator. We eventually found a belt fitted it and hastily headed home. What a morning.
Still hadn't relly checked the car over as the fan belt incident had kind of over shadowed it.
Any ways got her back to the work shop and up on the fork lift.
Well all I can say is that the front end is pretty much mint but, as I have been told above rear arches are pretty bad. :-(
So basically started girnding some of the rust out looks like I'm going to need inner and outer repair panels.
Are these available from vw heritage?
Sills aren't to bad and the doors have seen better days but not worried about these parts at present focusing on the rear at the moment then some door repair panels or new doors can be sourced.
Plus side engine runs sweet as a nut and front end is pretty dam good to be fair.
No rust anywhere arches are great.
So guess I'm going to start at the back and work toward the front. Then once all body work is straight, stone chipped, wax oyl the underside and then give her a respect in the original colour.
Sorry for the lack of pictures the excitement of getting my first rocco had got the better of me and I just got stuck straight in. Hopefully find some repair panels in the week and get them ordered.
If any one knows where I can pick some up that would be great but I'm guessing vw heritage.
Thanks in advance.
Daz.

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Rear arches: inner I think you make yourself (someone might correct me), outer are available from Blueshark on this forum (will require shipping from Netherlands) - they aren't available elsewhere.

Doors: you can probably track down some good second hand ones, but failing that they were available from VW Classic Parts last time I looked - not cheap though.

Always check the fuel filler neck and fuel tank very carefully, as both commonly rust and cause running problems with crud in the fuel system.

The filler neck is a rust trap where it mounts to the inner rear wing, so check the driver's side inner rear wheel arch as these usually rust-through. If your arches are gone at the back I'd be surprised if this place is still solid.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
Dazfx

Post by Dazfx »

Thanks for quick rely inner I have found n eBay outer I have not found.
I will pm Blueshark.
I have found a set of doors on eBay but they are in Sheffield. Bit of a mission from where I live.
I will sort rear arches first then sort doors.

Dazfx

Post by Dazfx »

Hi all bit of advice needed
What's the best way to check the filler neck? As this is my next job before I start repairing the panels.

And can any one recommend a good brand of body filler.

Thank you muchly.

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Take it off. It's not difficult, as long as the fuel tank's not too full and you jack the car up at the same corner. It's the only way you can give it a proper check over.

That way you can also check the inner arch properly for rust, which often happens where the dirt gets trapped between the filler neck and the body.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX