Abf'd Scala

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
daveyg

Abf'd Scala

Post by daveyg »

Hi folks,
Saw this pop up for sale a while back and with my car needing a bit of work (and an mot) this seemed like the easier way to get a road going abf. A trip to Windsor and it was mine. Only major difference to the now sold project Sabine car were it was running k jet and it had the correct 16v manifold. It's a pretty solid car and also it's black which I love!

First things first were some new boots, once the wheels were found and new tyres fitted I put them on and drove a foot before feeling all was not right. Jacked it up and saw this:
Worked out I needed to space the rears by at least 15mm and the wheels sat too far in the arches for my liking anyway so I went for some 20mm spacers
These have resolved the problem but I still think the wheels look a tad narrow in the arches so might go for 30mm. Forgot to take pics of the rear but these are the wheel in question
http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww274/daveyghut/Mobile%20Uploads/utf-8BSU1BRzAyODAuanBn.jpg[/img]
They are 7x15 oz, unsure on exact model but I really like them in a kind of rally look!
Today I fitted an upper strut brace that I had knocking about so that should aid the handling, there is already a lower one on there so just need the rear for the full package.

Once the brace was on I turned my attention to the front end. Mike told me when I bought the car that it had hit a bird at one point which went through the grille. Took the grille off and there was a plastic weld repair to the grille but I was surprised to find a feather on the radiator.again I forgot to take pictures but I'm pleased with the finish product, red stripe grille 16v badge and gti headlights

Last edited by daveyg on Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mr.brown
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Abf'd Scala

Post by mr.brown »

Pics of the car!
* looks superb. Normally the first thing I'd do is bin the fogs but they look quite cool with GTI/US lights :good:

daveyg

Post by daveyg »

Same here - Never been a fan of the fogs but it looks okay I think, may try at some point without and no doubt I will keep it that way!

daveyg

Post by daveyg »

Tiny update, one thing that had been annoying me was the broken bonnet rod clip.

99p later from VW Heritage and I had a nice new one