Mk2 project

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
MattRocco
fill in the right answer: 15

Mk2 project

Post by MattRocco »

Hey guys picked up a little project from "everlust" last weekend so thought if start a little project/build thread. It's currently sat on my dads drive so I can only get over to it and work on it at weekends so progress could be a little slower then I was hoping.

So basically its a GTX 1.8 8v injection. It's black which I love! Picked it up knowing it was blowing blue smoke on acceleration and headgasket gone. Still I took my friend down and we drove it back at a steady 60 with a few stops to top up oil as the headgasket is leaking quite quick. It ran the 80 mile home beautifully otherwise!!

So here are the advertised pics

So dropped it off and didn't have any time to do anything so came back today. Got it Jacked up and checked it all out, I was amazed to find next to no rust. The little bit there was I wire brushed up as it hadn't done any damage, rust treated it then fully undersealed the entire underneath so I know that's good. Noticed whilst I was underneath its needs a few bits like the rear axle bushes are extremely perished and the steering rack gaitors are ripped up.
So gave it a wash as it has been standing for I don't know how long.
Wash, polish and sealed and came out a lot better. Still not happy with it some will get the cutting compound out next time to get it up much better.

So now that's done I have just started stripping the head off to see what's going on with that when it's off.
Thanks for reading, sorry its not that exciting.

Also my pictures I have taken with my phone keep getting cut in half on here, put them on Photobucket and copied/pasted the IMG code. Am I doing it wrong or is there anyway to get them whole?

MattRocco

Re: Mk2 project

Post by MattRocco »

Had a quick look again today before I have to go out

Cylinder 2 + 3 are down on compression so definately need to strip head off and see whats going on

GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by GTXTRA »

Always good to see a GTX being brought back to life.

Do check the rear arches where the body kit is attached to the inner lip JUST in case they have been left covered in rust concealing mud and grime.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
MattRocco

Post by MattRocco »

Cheers for the advice, Do I need to remove the body kit to check or just look in the arches?

MattRocco

Post by MattRocco »

So spent a few hours getting the head off yesterday. Found the compression issue, exhaust valves are burnt so not seating properly. Also found there were burnt due to over fueling. Bottom end thankfully is fine, bores are good and Pistons still ok just need a little clean.

Will hopefully get the head stripped at work in the week during free spaces of time, will replace the valves and stem seals as well as a skim

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Good to see some progress, how much fun did you have getting the injectors out?
Inside the block and head look good should see you for another 100,000 miles...

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
MattRocco

Post by MattRocco »

If I get 100k out of it i would be more then happy!

Haven't taken them out just took the lines off of them, will strip head this week hopefully. Presume they're an ass to get out then?

MattRocco

Post by MattRocco »

So stripped the head today, ready to go off for a skim. Cleaned the valves up and there not actually damaged/pitted or anything so I am just going for a skim, new valve stem oil seals and re-seat the valves and build it back up
The compression being down so much is I assume because of the poor seating the valves currently have as you will be able to see by the pictures.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Just make sure the same valve, spring etc goes back in the same place and if you can get the drive cog of the cam shaft as well change the oil seal at the end while it's all out, it might come in a gasket set if not you can buy them on there own.
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volks ... 9c4&000426

http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/c/V ... 311&000426

Membership No. 323
MattRocco

Post by MattRocco »

I'm assuming the cam seal will come with the head set but I will be replacing it either way as you say may as well do it all while its out. Yeah Ive put a tipex mark on all the valve etc so I know what came from where for the rebuild

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

The bolt which hold the drive cog on the cam shaft is tight, I held my cam shaft with some wood as packers in a vice and be careful of the little metal key/woodruff key when you remove the cog and don't lose it on the floor then spend the next 1/2 hour trying to find it like I did... :oops:

Membership No. 323
MattRocco

Post by MattRocco »

I'll buzz gun it off and on to change the cam seal while its at work. Bits and head should be arriving tomorrow so hopefully be refitting this weekend if all goes well

MattRocco

Post by MattRocco »

So progress is going better then I expected!

Head is back from skim, sat for hours and lapped in all the valves (which is not fun!) and cleaner it all up as was caked in oil everywhere. Rebuilding at the moment but hopefully will be refitting it on Sunday fingers crossed

MattRocco

Post by MattRocco »

Little update with some annoying/bad news.

Started putting it all back together around 3pm yesterday, completely forgot about the fact it now gets dark early! So got it all back together by half 5. (Pitch black by now) cranked it over, it will start then just die. Give it a little Rev and it will run at what you Rev it at, as soon as you let it idle it cuts straight out. Very frustrating but it was too dark to see if I had missed anything but I'm sure I hadnt. So now have to wait until next weekend to try find out what's going on

MattRocco

Post by MattRocco »

Update time:

Taken longer then expected but it's fully MOT'd (no advisorys) and on the road.
My list of replaced things are:
Steering rack bushes/tie rods/track rod ends.
Rear axle bushes.
New brake pipes all round including and found it has goodridge braided hoses.
Plugs/leads/dizzy/rotor arm.
Full top end rebuild as above and every seal top and bottom.
Stainless steel 4 branch manifold.
Clutch kit.
Cut out a section of the sill that had a hole in and weld new plate in.
Then just other bits and bobs, re-wire radio, attempt to fix clocks and fail haha.

Then patched up a hole in the passanger door

Also changed wheels and that's about it