Time to try again. White J reg GT2.

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
bengould
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Time to try again. White J reg GT2.

Post by bengould »

A little update.

Halfords had a valve spring compressor cheap, so I bought it in the hope to get moving on this.
No good, Turns out it is not for recessed valves and the tube adapter I made up just wasnt helping.
Took it back and swapped it for the much more expensive type.
Still no good. :-(.
The large fitting was fine for the exhaust valves, but the small fitting was still too big for the inlet valves.

Fortunately the previous occupier of our new house left us a rather old but fully functional lathe. :-)

So half an hour and a bit of steel bar later I managed to come up with this...

Tapped to fit directly onto the valve spring compressor and the perfect size to get into the inlet valves. :-)

The aftermath of pistons and valves coming together.

Ignore all the grinding dust on them, they didn't come out of the engine like that.

So now I have a fully stripped head ready to get skimmed before I start to rebuild everything.

Following on from my last post, I remembered to take my camera out to the garage today.

Nice clean, freshly painted block...

Sump...

Head...

Inlet Manifold & Throttle Body...

Gearbox Mounts...

And Loom Brackety Thing...

All painted with the remains of a tin of black engine enamel that was kindly donated by a member of the local VW club. Unfortunately I have now run out so will have to get another tin to finish some of the above and do the gearbox and various other brackets and things I've been cleaning up.

That's all for now folks.
Waiting till payday and I will be getting the head skimmed, and then it all starts to go back together.
Hopefully without too many spare bits.

Ben

bengould

Post by bengould »

Well, the head has been skimmed.
All the engine parts have been collected ready for the re-build.
I've made myself a rotisserie to start work on the body once the engine is built.

And then I might have been a naughty boy. Lol.

One of the guys on the local vw club forum posted a link to a car for sale, at a reasonable price. So decided to go and have a nosey. I figure it can't hurt to go and have a look. One thing led to another and I ended up signing the papers handing over a pile of cash and driving home in.....

So now I need to do some thinking.

Unfortunately the Scirocco is not in amazing condition, and although repairable it will never be a mint example and therefore not worth a great deal of money. I never bought the car because I liked it, I bought it because it was cheap and it served a purpose at the time. It doesn't have the same emotional link as my other cars had, but at the same time it is a reasonably solid car. Albeit with very little value.

So, do I continue with the restoration of the Scirocco and keep it as a 2nd car. Or do I break it and scrape some of the value back in the parts I have for it.

For now, this is going on hold. It will be stored where it is while I rebuild the engine and decide weather I like the corrado or not.

Ben

Old Mac Rocco

Post by Old Mac Rocco »

Happy motoring.
Can't find the "Jealous as firk" in the smilies.
If you ever decide to move it on give me a shout if the price is right.
Happy motoring. :-( :-( :-(

A heart broken GLI - R.I.P. A loveable GT. A practical Polo now deceased.
Old Mac Rocco

Post by Old Mac Rocco »

PS Pass my regards to your Good Lady, I passed the PINK BUGGY on the flyover at Glasgow Airport a few weeks back.
Pink Buggy was in the inside lane OMR in the outside lane so your Good Lady may not have spotted me.

A heart broken GLI - R.I.P. A loveable GT. A practical Polo now deceased.
bengould

Post by bengould »

If I decide to move it on, you will be the first to know.

For now still trying to get to the bottom of a clutch issue, new copper line, master and slave cylinder on order. Eagerly waiting on the postman turning up Tues/Wed.

Ben.