a57737 - Rocco restoration and G60 upgrade

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
a57737
fill in the right answer: 10

a57737 - Rocco restoration and G60 upgrade

Post by a57737 »

Hi everyone,

So as many of you at the national and on facebook have heard, my "almost finished" rolling project had to be liberated from the yard of a cowboy modifier last weekend before it was lost forever. My brother's Caddy was further gone sadly, but we were able to retrieve that as well as my VR6 to recoup some losses.

Previously the car was up to a high standard, fresh from the Grotto with a lovely new Red paint job. I was more than slightly ripped off with my poor sound system, but that seems to have gone walkies anyway. The car was relatively sound if a little stock, with the addition of Mk4 (or MK5) Golf GTI recaros.

As she sits now, all of the seals have gone, the door cards are bent, the roof lining is both mouldy and torn, half the sound system is missing, I'm short on wheel nuts as I never got the key back and I'm down a parcel shelf - I could still be worse.

I'm hoping with this thread to record the restoration of my pride and joy and dam well hope to drive her to the next national - finished (well, as finished as a project ever is).

I've made a brief collage of the car's lifespan to date:

I'll be updating as I go. Fingers crossed this will have a happy ending!
Last edited by a57737 on Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

a57737

Re: a57737 - back to square 1!

Post by a57737 »

I know this is immediate, but I wanted a separate post for progress.

So far with a new battery, she's started without issue. We've had the drive shaft that was removed refitted (as well as some suspension bolts that had gone missing).

I've refitted the (bent) doorcards and fitted some new non-mouldy seatbelts - thanks to Mr Funk!

The paint fading and glass decolouring seems to just be a super thick layer of crud. I've got the glass back to looking like glass and some of the red is now showing through. I can see daylight through the floor and the seats have new/odd mechanisms on, so that's getting addressed soon.

Progress pics:

Hopefully more updates soon. My welder friend is away for a fortnight (it is the summer time after all) so that leaves me time to refit the stuff I know about and fiddle with the sound system.

filmidget

Post by filmidget »

Glad to see the car is coming back 'together' - just go steadily on that paintwork as Ant advised and it should turn out OK.

When you know what's missing/needed make a list and i will see what I have knocking about in the garage.

Also can't help but caution again against that engine plan - seems complicated and asking for more trouble... I am thinking a 2 litre 16v conversion would be nice and simple and effective - 150-160bhp if well sorted, which believe me is plenty. The guy that had the track car with the 20v turbo said in a lot of ways he preferred the car with a 16v in, and was actually planning another n/a 16v conversion.

Best of luck with it either way.

'82 GTI 'CagedRoc' - MG Midget - Volvo 850 T5 - Citroen C2 GT - Lilac Trailer Custodian
Current owned:roadworthy factor = 75% (personal record)
DJPremier

Post by DJPremier »

Good talk to you at Cosford. I saw the car in its dark livery at the grotto, just before the redness.
Here is the info about my audio components. All cheap stuff but seem to play very nicely together.
Head. Silvercrest cre520. Discontinued but I picked up the one in the Rocco on eBay, unused for 35 quid. Has a remote too.
Speakers. Alpines http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-sxe-4625s. These drop straight in without any mods.
Sub. Blaupunkt thb200a. Also discontinued but crop up on eBay at around the 70 to 90 mark.
All the best with getting yours back from the twighlight zone.

Shiny Metallic Brown MKII Storm
a57737

Post by a57737 »

That's great, cheers for that. Now I know where I recognised your car from (I think she was indoors when I dropped mine off). We'll see how things pan out, I've got a half made lower shelf in I might try and use. Gotta get her back on the road!

R.Webster

Post by R.Webster »

DJPremier wrote:Good talk to you at Cosford. I saw the car in its dark livery at the grotto, just before the redness.
Here is the info about my audio components. All cheap stuff but seem to play very nicely together.
Head. Silvercrest cre520. Discontinued but I picked up the one in the Rocco on eBay, unused for 35 quid. Has a remote too.
Speakers. Alpines http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-sxe-4625s. These drop straight in without any mods.
Sub. Blaupunkt thb200a. Also discontinued but crop up on eBay at around the 70 to 90 mark.
All the best with getting yours back from the twighlight zone.
Followed your link for the rear speakers. Spot on! Do you have a link to follow for some door speakers? :-D

1989 Mk2 Scirocco 1.8 GT Grey
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

It's the same speakers fitted to the front door pockets as the rears.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
R.Webster

Post by R.Webster »

Oh really?! Ok great stuff :) Thanks

1989 Mk2 Scirocco 1.8 GT Grey
a57737

Post by a57737 »

R.Webster wrote:Oh really?! Ok great stuff :) Thanks
Yup, although from experience, I would advise against 4 ways or cheap 3 ways, despite the temptation. They're just too tinny.

a57737

Post by a57737 »

Quick update,

I've bought a donor car (Corrado G60), running very smoothly and some other bits and bobs.

The G60 gets stripped this week, then the Rocco goes in for her transplant (and some welding up of mysterious deliberate looking holes in the floorpan #cowboy).

a57737

Re: a57737 - Rocco restoration and G60 upgrade

Post by a57737 »

Quick update - the engine is now physically in the Scirocco.

Didn't get a chance to take pictures last time I was down there, but here's the empty space where the engine was:

Just ordered a new exhaust manifold and twin pass intercooler for the conversion.

New pedal box and hydraulic kit coming in the new year to work the new clutch (using a VR6 clutch for those playing at home).

a57737

Post by a57737 »

Sneaky picture of the new engine in the Scirocco:

treefingers
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by treefingers »

Are you still after a parcel shelf? I have one. Pm me if interested.

Good to see the lump is in

Risocco

Post by Risocco »

Good stuff man 8-)

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
a57737

Post by a57737 »

Quick update - the new engine is now running in the Scirocco.

The garage have now started fabricating the pedal box, then it's on to the home run (well, to the exhaust place anyway :P)
Last edited by a57737 on Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.