88 scala project.

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
essextom
fill in the right answer: 10

88 scala project.

Post by essextom »

8-) hi, thought I would start a thread to document my cars progress. its an 88 scala 1.8 8v carb.

bought the car couple of years ago for £700 in the condition as below. I was told that the car completed the cannonball run Europe some years ago but I have no proof. it has the weber carb conversion, some cheap coilovers, compomotive mo5 alloys, k&n filter and a scorpion back box.
IMG_0069.JPG
had the car for a year. during this time I fitted a 4-2-1 manifold, got a custom set of floor mats made with the rocco label embossed and removed a large number of stickers from the rear windows and all over the dash. I then sold the car to a friend which I regretted. bought a mk1 polo to restore but with work commitments and a lack of space to sort the bodywork had to sell it. I then bumped into my mate and managed to re purchase the rocco back from him. since the re purchase just before xmas I have slowly been amasing a large pile of parts-

weitec top adjustable coilovers
performance cam
willwood 280mm minilite 4 pot conversion
9" brake servo and 22mm master cylinder
rear beam from a mk2 golf gtiwith disc brakes to convert over (mainly for looks)
golf mk2 5 slat grill to chop to fit the rocco
golf gti big bumper front splitter (might fit)
twin carb manifold from bengould to be fixed and played about with
loads of other little bits and bobs.

got bored a couple of weeks ago and decided to sort my extremely wonky exhaust, cut the scorpion bodged back box off and welded together bits and bobs and ended up with a 6x3 oval which sits pretty well and sounds good.

car is currently down my mates workshop being prepped for a re spray

body isn't in too bad a shape, little bit of rust round front arches, around the rear of the sills and on the rear inner wing. rear bumper metal frame had completely rotted away but was able to get one from nate which is in good nick.

next job is to hunt down a new windscreen as I got a bit excited and cracked mine removing it and to decide whether to have the b pillar black stickers.

after the car is back from paint I plan on fitting some of the collection of parts but to maintain the car on the road to hopefully attend some shows. going to hopefully take the car off the road in oct-nov to remove the engine, weld the cracked bulkhead (got a stick on patch to fix it temporarily), smooth the engine bay slightly, re position the battery and fit a new engine. not completely sure on engine yet as I seem to change my mind every other week! anyway ill add some new photos once painted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by essextom on Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:01 am, edited 4 times in total.

treefingers
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: red 88 scala

Post by treefingers »

looks good, good parts too! you keeping the bodykit? (ahem keep it off!) and a tip for the b-pillars.. if you really want them black you'd do better painting them black or leaving them body colour. just my opinion but a few people have had problems with the quality of reproduction pillar vinyls.

good to see a new project thread pop up :) keep us updated..

essextom

Post by essextom »

Body kit is going back on, I prefer the look personally. Got a mate who is a sign writer so if I do go with the b pillar vinyl it will be done properly.

essextom

Post by essextom »

cars stripped and almost ready for the first coat of primer.
Last edited by essextom on Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

essextom

Post by essextom »

finally in primer, hopefully be painted for national meet. needs flatting back then another layer of primer before base coat, hopefully be nice and straight.
Last edited by essextom on Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

essextom

Post by essextom »

had a few issues with painting which has slowed my progress down, was hoping to make the national meet but its still a few weeks off.
whole shell has been primed.

hopefully get the rest painted over the next week and then get her back together. all ive gotta do then is the btrake conversion, new suspension and decide on what im going to do with the engine.
Last edited by essextom on Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

essextom

Post by essextom »

Almost there now
Last edited by essextom on Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

ANOTHER awesome looking project coming together.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
essextom

Re: Not red 88 scala

Post by essextom »

Ok not posted in here for a while. Car has been painted and I've had it back a few weeks now. Got an mot booked tomorrow so I have mainly been sorting out bits for that. Welded a few holes in the rear inner arch. Changed rear coil overs as they were corroded, and a few other bits n bobs. Slowly amassing more and more bits n bobs but hopefully I'll have a bit more time now to get a few small exterior parts finished off and get all the interior done before Xmas. Managed to fit my refurbed/ modified headlights, pretty happy with them, just need so Swartz clear indicators now.
Last edited by essextom on Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

scirockirb

Post by scirockirb »

Looking nice man... Lights look good on the car too!

essextom

Post by essextom »

Thought I should do a little update. Decided it was time to get the engine bay painted so I've been slowly stripping the front end. Thought I'd check my wheel fitment with the new brakes, didn't go too well, the rh mesh alloys I had didn't clear the callipers so it looks like I'll be sticking with the compomotives. Spent last few days gunking the engine bay and front arches, absolute pain in the arse.

essextom

Re: 88 scale project.

Post by essextom »

Right, bit of an update. Slowly getting the engine bay smoothed off a bit, taking longer tha I thought. Almost ready for primer though! Then all I've got to do is work out where to run all the wires and also what ones I can do without.

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

Where did you get the wilwoods from? They a bolt on or did you upgrade to the mk2 gti carriers?

- David
essextom

Post by essextom »

Got them from rally design, yes bolt on kit 280mm. It's the same set as for a mk1 golf gti.

essextom

Re: 88 scala project.

Post by essextom »

Not done an update lately this is what I've been up to-
Repainted singing block.
Head skimmed and painted, new seals getting fitted at moment.
Carb rebuilt and painted.
Engine parts painted (mounts etc.)
Engine bay smoothed and painted.
Last edited by essextom on Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.