87 GTS

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: 87 GTS

Post by GTXTRA »

Looking brilliant - a classic P-wheel/colour combo.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
JDUB

Post by JDUB »

Thanks GTXTRA
Drums fitted, Handbrake cables connected and adjusted. Got Pagid cables and although they were longer overall than the originals the travel and adjustment is the same so they fitted fine. Also they run a little nicer under the car and the part that inserts into the tube on the floorpan is metal instead of plastic like the originals, which had broken.

Brakes bled and back on it's wheels

Front brakes are next

JDUB

Post by JDUB »

Front brakes didn't look too good, but were within limits

They got replaced anyway

Plan to refurb the front running gear completely, like the back, but for now aim is to get car back on the road and mot'd. Just need to get exhaust sorted for that I think. May depart from stock for this as OEM parts just too expensive and don't fancy cheaper pattern parts. Wisdom on the forum seems to be Jetex are a good option, anybody recommend a decent downpipe to go with the Jetex half system ?

Also does anybody know where I could get OEM front struts from, just the bottom parts which hold the damper insert ?

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

The front struts are no longer available from the dealers! Crazy Quiff's have them advertised but showing as out of stock. You could fire off an email to VW heritage and ask them.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Try here as well but they are also showing not stock.
http://www.classic-vw.co.uk/mk1-golf-po ... 1046-p.asp

Made try and find a power coater near you and ask how much to shot blast and power coat yours?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
JDUB

Post by JDUB »

Thanks, I'll fire off a couple of Emails, Could Media blast and finish mine myself but was thinking if I could get some others I could build them up with new shocks and springs then just swap them over, save some time.

JDUB

Post by JDUB »

Not located any front struts yet so getting on with service parts - and a bit of re finishing while I'm at it.
Timing belt due replacement, cover off

and refurbed

Any recommendations for timing belt kit ? GSF ok or Euro Car Parts ? or would it be worth going to VW ?

Radiator also needs replacing as it's got a small leak, while I'm there shroud needs refinishing

Same question, Anyone used GSF or Euro Car Parts for a radiator, they both list them ?

ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

I always use Conti belts, so whoever sells them cheapest! Get a new tenshioner as well, last time I bought a belt it was cheaper to buy separately instead of the kit from ECP. Search for a Nissins radiator, seen some on Ebay for about £30.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Conti belts for me as well and the better quailty tensioner from euro car parts.
I've got a nissins radiator fitted to my Golf, they are thinner than the old one but seems to cool the car better but might be beacuse the old one was 20 odd years old, had it on the car 3 years with no problems, think it cost about £20 from ebay as no one else bid on it, it was even new! :-D Just keep an eye out as there is some bargins out there.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
JDUB

Post by JDUB »

Stripped the sound insulation off the inside of the bonnet cos it was all crumbling and falling off, the foam came off easily enough but it's left the glue behind.

[img Image/img]

Have tried to remove it with White Spirit, Meths, and inhibited solvent but it wont shift. Does anybody know what will get it off ?

ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

I used white spirit to remove the old glue on both my cars. The method I used was to brush the white spirit on and leave for a few minutes then scrape off with a plastic scraper, an old credit card will do the trick.
One tip, cover the engine bay with a sheet or suchlike as the old glue gets everywhere!

JDUB

Post by JDUB »

Thanks Ian - Couldn't shift it with White spirit but found some stuff in Halfords for removing "sticky stuff" that got it off. Used the credit card and an old sheet to cover the bay as you suggested. Messy job and glad to see the back of it. Looks much better now and wont shower the engine with filth every time I close the bonnet.
[img Image/img]

ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

Looking good mate.
One thing, change the black header tank cap for an uprated blue one!

JDUB

Post by JDUB »

Finally got round to posting again - Hopefully going to get the GTS out and mot/tax it from April ready for the summer.
Was going to update my thread with some pictures but, all my pictures have gone ? and it seems photobucket doesn't work anymore ?
Any one know how to upload pictures to this forum now ?