A16 GTX - a long story

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: A16 GTX - a long story

Post by GTXTRA »

haha! Mark -got a new cambelt cover - this one was all distorted and catching.

Had what I think is the first truly enjoyable drive in the car after all these years - real fizz and vastly improved steering.

Now I DO get the 'KR' thing...........

Serial Rocco-ist.........
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Two years later. Where did that go?

So - it transpired that the car displayed an annoying and very obvious rattle at idle when warmed up.

With budgets stretched across the fleet this one had to wait it's turn again.

With the head work and other bottom end work completed in last few years it was only the pistons that hadn't been changed - that's now been done by Tim at the Phirm but during the process he also spotted that the 'bushes' or 'sleeves' had worn the conrod bearings to the extent that there was slight movement.
Being an early KR meant the bushes were NLA so later ones had to be machined to suit.

With this all back together we went back to 10w/40 Synta having been experimenting with various stickier oil over the years - ditto for the temp and pressure senders which are now all 'as factory'.

Result? Well, Tim had been testing it over last few days and on basis of my 'long route' home tonight I have to say - previous false dawns notwithstanding - I've finally got a truly smooth and enjoyable KR car.

Having been spoilt by DX cars - they are so much more refined I think - I always found the black car 'jaggidy' to drive - lift off on throttle was never 'just so' as far as I was concerned. That's now more than sorted and, for the first time ever, I'm looking forward to driving it just for driving sake; given it's history it's always been a bit of a 'duty' car after old mate/previous owner had to give up on it before his eventual, sad demise.

So - Cosford ride sorted, once cleaned.

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Had a good day on the 16v today.

This being a reshell done in 1992 where the donor chassis had the aftermarket A/C fitted; the original owner had opted to have the fuesbox moved to the glovebox.

When the A/C was removed a couple of years ago this meant I needed to track down new passenger side parcel shelves and underdash trim (had the correct ventilation ducting left over from the original BRM) and I had to put up with one or two wires on display......

Took the plunge and set about shifting everything around this afternoon.

Biggest problem was sorting the glovebox - it really is such a piece of shit design.

Phone battery died before I could take final completed shots but I think we all know what a Mk2 interior looks like!

james butler

Post by james butler »

i know what you mean, the support bracket is a real mare to get in and out with the rest of the glove box as it always catches on the dash either way.
not to mention giving a poor fit.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

This one has come through Winter in ok shape apart from one irritating moment re.a leaking washing machine in the flat above the garage..............

Coolant leak - a loose hose and a buggered seal on the coolant sensor combined to cause me a bit of concern, all now sorted and after a quick tune up and brake fluid service at the Phirm this one certainly had a brisk run back this afternoon.

Just some minor restoration on the leather and the Zenders might be due a refresh at the end of the year due to a chafing centre cap causing some minor lifting of the paint on one wheel.

With it's 8v sister car today.

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Running better than ever - nearly got the nod for my first edition 38 since 2013 after I got the wire brushes out and spent a few hours tidying up the bay.

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

The eight years old AP coilovers need a refresh - the front right one took a hit on a particularly unpleasant drain cover on the approach to Tunbridge Wells a while back and is now leaking/rattling.

Rather than feck around with repairing/dealing with couriers have ordered a new, direct replacement AP kit from Venom for £379 including VAT.

Genuinely enjoy driving this one now - the fully rebuilt in stages KR now nicely loosened up, recent Phirm service never a bad thing.

Planning on new tyres next year, they'll be 9 years old then.

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

MOT time today - flew through but did get the cv gaitors changed prior to after spotting they were starting to crack when the new top mounts and coilovers went on last Summer.

Haven't used this since before Xmas but with a kjet tune up and new brake fluid gave it some beans on the way back from the Phirm today.

Hit 121k miles today - think I'll be adding a few more to that this year...

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Replaced the rear lights today having managed to crack one when putting space saver back on after adding air to that a while back.
Tracked a pair of gtx clusters that were even better than the existing ones and got them on today.

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

A recent trip to a dusty Silverstone revealed a rear wiper issue.

On investigation the nozzle had split within the rubber boot.

Luckily with the BRM now wiperless at rear I swapped nozzles around easily enough.

All sorted.

And then a bloody good wash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chopperoli

Post by chopperoli »

always wondered how that's held on