A16 GTX - a long story

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

A16 GTX - a long story

Post by GTXTRA »

Thought it was time to properly record A16 GTX on here.
the original car- a lhd 16v in gun metal grey that bell and covill converted to rhd.
It showed an 11/85 (i think) build sticker but was not registered till F plate (88/89) which ties into how few of these cars were sold. List price was about £11k when an 8v was £9k or so.

VW Audi Car Magazine 1990 Inters Report -

Aero-mods and weight loss programme Spring 92 - Car was rolled in the Lake District, perhaps linked to edgy handling/steering due to what turned out to be a pretty shoddy rhd conversion.

Then owner acquired an 87 GTX 8v to act as donor car for all the running gear to b transferred across in July 92.
A16 GTX plate purchased and assigned at this time too.
Reshell lead by other mate who owned the mk2 Storm in background.

off to Inters 93 to win Rocco show and shine believe it or not..........

The lost years - 1994-2006
Lost touch with owner Mark and he continued to use the valver as a daily until 98/99 when a combo of crash damage, parts availability and a growing family saw the car consigned to a dusty 7 years in a Docklands garage.
After returning from five years in Oz we then meet up for a few beers, I had no idea he had kept the old car all that time.................once he found out I was firmly back in Rocco mode he then said I should take it on - it was being threatened with a trip to the scrappy due to his Missus wanting to turn the garage into a playroom..........
As I found it.
As delivered for re-commissioning at the Phirm, Feb '06

Spec at this time -
Standard KR
K&N
6 x 15 Mim Alloys
Autocavan Superbrake linkage conversion
Drilled discs all round
Koni Top adjustables/Eibach Springs
Neuspeed Top strut brace - to complement factory K bar
BRM headlamp loom/bulbs upgrade
Leather seats - bought in '93 from a scrappy with near new written off scala that had a factory option from the time specced.
Aftermarket A/C- came with the donor 8v chassis - precluded use of 16v radiator due to compressor and saw fuse box relocated to glove box due to interior outlet.

Despite being off the road for so long car only needed new rad, oil cooler and a full service to get up to MOTable state. Fuel system and suspension issues were apparent but I wanted to give the car a few runs before I committed to other expense although couldn't resist swapping to the set of black indies run on the beast until then.
Sadly the first trip to NR was curtailed by a clogged fuel system, not rust but a red sediment from the old petrol. New fuel tank fitted to guarantee no further issues.
First NR and Inters 2006.

Bodywork not great, bonnet and roof full of small dents and scratches, drivers door had received a belt from a scummy eastend kid years before. Front bumper twisted after light impact with an impatient police car, windscreen a mess.

August 2006- fresh from the PhirmFX after whole offside, bonnet, sunroof panel and welded up top of nsf wing resprayed with the remainder being mopped. Refurbed the Beasts RA's and fitted these to the Valver.
ready for Mafia, G2B and E38.

Still a few running/electrical carryovers from the long lay-up and the front suspension clearly not in good health.
New Koni fronts fitted.

Not much to report other than contantly cursing the poope summer and how to keep a black car clean until finally decided to remove the grille spoiler for Retro Rides and Mafia Meets '07- a cleaner look methinks.
Black rooflining sourced a this time too.

Early '08 , clear indies

temporary borrowed manifold

while this was being sorted in time for the Summer shows

e38 purchase in time for end of season Post74 meet-

and the first of its treats for 2009.........

UD 2009 shots from Jon

Serial Rocco-ist.........
GTXTRA

Re: A16 GTX - It's been a longtime......

Post by GTXTRA »

ready for Inters.

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

temporary back to basics look - all very 1993 when this car won Rocco class at Inters.

cross spokes off to get refinished soon ( I just can't be doing with the polished rims) and fitted with lower profile tyres - along with some AP coilies after positive experience on the gtl.

had a few running issues with this recently - soaking the isv with brake cleaner has helped stop the dramatic idle dip when dipping clutch.
still not convinced the dubpower down pipe is for me - won't get round to deciding whether to revert to standard until a winter exhaust replacement, looking at a custom job with standard style tailpipe.

cleaned up behind near side front lights when replacing headlamp today and some more wire brushing and general engine bay prepping in advance of edition.

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

picked the 16v up from the phirm on friday- wheels had been off for a refurb to a less fussy finish.

before - a right bass-turd to clean too........

NOW

much happier with this look and VERY pleased I didnt sell the wheels after all.
tyres swapped for some 45 profile ones and the koni suspension swapped for some AP coilies. MUCH happier with the look (lower but not stupidly so) and continue to be impressed with the AP kit.

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

more tweeking - fogs off for edition.
also (after 3 years.....) got round to reconnecting the ambient temp sensor to inside of bumper today and more general bay work with wire and paint brushes.

anybody seen the weather for next weekend yet..............?

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

nothing much has happended since NEC show - taking advantage of the occasional breaks in the weather to give a run out where possible but pleased to report this flew through its MOT just now.
now the pre UD clean up can start - once a visit to the Phirm next week for a bit of a tune up is out of the way. Possibly a new clutch needed sometime soon........

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

going well, recent new oil pump and crank bearing shells plus a re-wire for the oil temp gauge.

a (part) day of sorting interior rattles beckons tomorrow.

still a bitch to clean.

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Down to the Phirm today - front brakes well worn, evidence of a binding caliper so took the plunge and went for new Tar-ox discs, some trick Ferodo pads and (the reason i went with the Tim option) some refurbished Girling calipers too.

measuring up for a new exhaust too - combining the dub power manifold (for now) with a combo of off the shelf and custom components all with the intention of retaining the factory 16v tail-pipe look.

G Beats

Re: A16 GTX - 'real' enough for me

Post by G Beats »

Lovely car it is a lovely show and shine car, i seen this car in the flesh at nec classic car show last year were we meet GTxtra who is a very nice man, i have seen to of these cars in the flesh and this is the best 1, the other 1 was at bristol volks fest in 2007, were the person was try to sell it but the paint was flat it is a red 1, Darren said who was there looking at the car cuss the person wanted to sell said there was only 9 of this left in the uk , cuss 10 left hand 1800 16v injections were imported to this country , i do know this is a right hand drive 1, is this true GTxtra ? Does you car still have full black leather seats in it? and what other plains do you have for her?

G Beats.Been into MK 2 V.W Sciroccos since 98.Now on my fourth MK 2 Scirocco. R.I.P two MK 2 Scala DX Engine's.Sold GT 2. No longer have a mk 2 v.w Scirocco as it was stolen back in February 2020 .Or another one know have a 1980s BMW.
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

the next phase begins -

Bill

Post by Bill »

You know how to upset someone :hugegrin:

Rusty dan

Post by Rusty dan »

Love this car! even more so than the BRM motor.

Click below for Rocco build pics
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w114 ... occo%20GT/

insanecreations.net
markh
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by markh »

Another stunning mk2 from the Fleetwood stable !! :vcool:

Don't ask me....it was like that when i got here !
Dutch GT

Post by Dutch GT »

I think those wheels are my favourite on a mk2 'rocco! Get 'em on sharpish and show us.

doc400sp

Post by doc400sp »

Absolutely love this car :vcool: