HERMAN THE GERMAN! '91 Scala 20vt

Scirocco Register members projects

Moderator: Scirocco Register

Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
BlackGTX
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:53 pm
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: HERMAN THE GERMAN! '91 Scala 20vt

Postby BlackGTX » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:45 pm

Superb project, nothing it too much trouble



mr.brown
Posts: 1229
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:13 pm
fill in the right answer: 15
Location: Surrey

Re: HERMAN THE GERMAN! '91 Scala 20vt

Postby mr.brown » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:06 am

Looks superb, I can't wait to see this in the flesh someday.

Regarding the washer bottle issue you can use the rear one - just run a water pipe (with non-return valve) to the front. All you need to do then is to swap the wires for front and rear washer at the back of the fusebox.



treefingers
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:04 pm
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: HERMAN THE GERMAN! '91 Scala 20vt

Postby treefingers » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:18 am

mr.brown wrote:Looks superb, I can't wait to see this in the flesh someday.

Regarding the washer bottle issue you can use the rear one - just run a water pipe (with non-return valve) to the front. All you need to do then is to swap the wires for front and rear washer at the back of the fusebox.


Thanks, great idea.. If I have to move the wires at the pipes anyway this is a good option! Will have to check that I still have the rear reservoir on the shelf



treefingers
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:04 pm
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: HERMAN THE GERMAN! '91 Scala 20vt

Postby treefingers » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:25 am

Spent another 12+ hours yesterday welding up the chassis. This consisted of building up bits of wheel arch and sill, and then some seam sealing.

I've removed both the front jack mounting cups to cut out the rust underneath. I added strength with some 3mm plate before putting the cups back on. Then gave it a good hard sealing.

Image
Image
Image

I'm happy to say that welding is now completed on the chassis!
Image



treefingers
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:04 pm
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: HERMAN THE GERMAN! '91 Scala 20vt

Postby treefingers » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:02 am

Yesterday I wire wheeled the sills to bare metal. I had to replace more metal when I found an extra hole, so the welding wasn't as finished as I thought!

I was mainly doing filler work. As time the boot is off this time, I've been able to remove the hinges and get in there properly with the wire wheel, likewise around the door hinges. I don't want paint flaking off in a few year's time! I exposed so much bare metal on one side of the car, it made sense to get it in primer.

Image

Wheel arch is getting there, some more filling and sanding needed but I'm happy so far.

Image



treefingers
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:04 pm
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: HERMAN THE GERMAN! '91 Scala 20vt

Postby treefingers » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:52 am

Must be nearly 100 hours in now. Prep is epic. It's just as well I enjoy thinking as I've been having to do lots. Decided to redo the primer I had done as I should have been using 2K primer instead of QD phosphate, and mainly I can't be sure I didn't get damp and dust into the work. Anyway my friend is letting me use his workshop space and he has a lift, never used one before and it has been amazing. Being able to have the car at the right height while using a sanding block/da etc. has been awesome! Even having the car half a foot higher/lower makes a massive difference for all that repetitive wrist action. No, not that kind of action.

Image

I've been doing loads of reading on the internet about prep work for paint; dealing with dust, grease, moisture, using the right grits.. also using the right products, and in the right order. There is so much to it, I've realised I can't just guess and hope I'm doing the right thing as I'll pay for it later!!

With that said I stripped all that primer back and keyed it up properly using 180 grit on the paint and 80 grit on bare metal.
Image

It took me so long to get those stupid insignificant looking bits of filler how I want them. It's ridiculous.
Image

Fully prepped for primer now, much more than before!
Image

Used etch primer on the biggest areas of bare metal. Could/should have used epoxy primer here, but I had etch in the cupboard and it is fit for purpose here. Block sanded with 400 grit and went over with a scotch and degreaser afterwards, ready for 2k primer.
Image

In 2k hi build primer now. Hurrah.
Image
Image

Still LOADS to do... front valance, bonnet, doors, boot, wings.. I've found the way to get through the daunting work load is to constantly break it down into small tasks, and not to deviate, i.e. to work on a single panel at a time, and not to move on until the task has been completed. As with life if you don't create order, you get smashed to pieces by all the chaos.




Return to “Projects and Restoration”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 5 guests