Got the week off work to get the engine together. Pic heavy..
Managed to blag the spray booth to do my building. About the only place I could think of that wasn't peppered in swarf. Spent most of Monday cleaning it and cleaning my tools! Complete with assembly and cleaning areas. :)
Here is the book I was referencing to accompany the Bentley manual on the iPad (so handy)
One block ready to build up!
New crank shells installed
Measured every crank journal with micrometers, all the same and bang on. Then installed the crank and plastigauged the mains
All clearances were within spec and all the same which was good
Then used this assembly lube and torqued the mains, new bolts were used.
Measured the end float (yes I know the feelers are on the wrong side in this pic :p)
Next I disassembled the AUQ (or what I thought was AUQ - more on that in a minute!) pistons
I was so ready to install the rods..
Then I found out that the wrist pins didn't fit the rods!!! Massive arse!! It turns out the AUQ engine I'd originally bought had been put onto a different block! On 1.8t's the code is stamped onto the head, I just assumed the block was from the same code. There was no way in hell I was sending the rods back to Germany! Some new pistons were to be sourced. VW parts were utterly useless and so a phone call to Mr Knox was made and within two hours I had sourced and collected a complete AUM to strip for the pistons! Other parts will come in handy too so it's not a bad thing! This is now my 5th 1.8t block since starting this project..
Today the AUM ended up looking more like this:
And I spent an hour cleaning the pistons to get back to this stage, 23 hours later!
Every ring gap was checked. All bang in the middle of spec.
Rings installed and side gaps checked. Top gap was in spec but strangely I couldn't get a 0.04mm gauge into the 2nd and 3rd grooves. Checked the old rings and result was the same so I carried on.. strange though.
Pistons lubed up with ATF (textbook recommended it as it's thin enough to allow proper ring seating) and installed, then more plastigauge. All clearances were good! Needed two of us to get the pistons in though as the oil ring kept popping out of the ring compressor.
And here's where I finished today. Rods torqued up with the ARP fasteners. Rotating assembly pretty much there. Took ages as I had to check everything!! Aside from the two side ring gaps every clearance is in spec for a brand new engine :)