HERMAN THE GERMAN! '91 Scala 20vt

Scirocco Register members projects

Moderator: Scirocco Register

Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
treefingers
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: HERMAN THE GERMAN! '91 Scala 20vt

Postby treefingers » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:39 pm

Oh I realised I never posted a photo of the subframes I made for the seats... They're sliding - with some effort! The pivot at the back is around a couple of M8 bolts and nylocs, with the bolts done up tight the seat is held in place pretty well. They're designed just for my driving position really but I can slide them out and move them forwards or backwards if I have to.

In other news Herman may have some engine damage. More to follow... eep

treefingers

Postby treefingers » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:50 pm

Update.

Things been happening.

Plans afoot.

Deep into rebuild.. phase two..

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Postby mark1gls » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:07 pm

What's happening then?
Was you getting bored in the evening with not working on the car so needed something else to do?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323

treefingers

Postby treefingers » Sun May 24, 2015 8:58 pm

nope i bent a conrod a few months ago..

got some nice shots about a week before though!

currently engine is out and stripped completely down. plan is complete engine rebuild, improved cooling, more powerful turbo, improved chassis handling, better front brakes, paint and more.. lots more learning and doing :) basically take the knowledge of how the car ran after the build and do some real improvements. then finally take this car to some roadtrips/tracks/shows..

sorry for lack of updates! had a mental day of graft at work today and i'm going to the funfare tonight and currently drinking talisker (dark storm. WHAT A WHISKY MMMMMM) while i wait for my girlfriend to pick me up so quickly here are some photos..

parts blasted

valves out, parts cleaned, valves lapped, head skimmed

block repainted in por15

used ko3s turbo currently in for refurb, new bearings and turbine

more suspension travel. low with proper rear handling and wheel centered in arch

lightened abf flywheel on the work lathe

dealing with first time build installation paint damage

new daily driver too, borrowing the rocco wheels until i can get some decent 16s! what a bloody fun car.
Last edited by treefingers on Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Postby mark1gls » Sun May 24, 2015 9:03 pm

That's a rather bent Conrod..... I must be hungry as I keep looking at those muffins!

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323

treefingers

Postby treefingers » Sun May 24, 2015 9:22 pm

damn they were nice muffins!

treefingers

Postby treefingers » Wed May 27, 2015 8:00 am

so the skoda turbo that I won on ebay at 5am for £31 came back from it's rebuild and I am pretty blown away at the results. It looks brand new, and now it is as good as! New internals and 30-40HP more than the one that came off :)

After rubbing down with 500 grit paper I gave the bay 3-4 more very thin coats of primer last night

DrJ

Postby DrJ » Wed May 27, 2015 10:28 am

I do enjoy a good engine build thread.
Love your work!

chris_d66

Postby chris_d66 » Thu May 28, 2015 8:14 pm

Great work, don't suppose you would be able to lighten another ABF flywheel.

2001 A3 1.8t getting ready to be a donor
2003 Picasso dirty diesel
1995 Golf GTI 16V
1989 Scirocco GT undergoing restoration
1965 2A SWB Landy

treefingers

Postby treefingers » Thu May 28, 2015 11:35 pm

top coat on the engine bay last night.. two coats of 2 pack at a 2-1 ratio with the hardener and about 30% thinners.. first time ive sprayed 2 pack, and first time topcoating on a car ever so im quite pleased with the result

treefingers

Postby treefingers » Thu May 28, 2015 11:36 pm

chris_d66 wrote:Great work, don't suppose you would be able to lighten another ABF flywheel.

possibly id have to ask my friend as he's the one with the turning skills.. you'd then need to get it balanced at a machine shop of course

treefingers

Postby treefingers » Sat May 30, 2015 10:22 pm

so twice i've tried to order an offside steering boot and I keep getting a nearside one.. damn LHD cars confusing things! I got one boot replaced today anyway.

took all my coilies off today, stripped them, cleaned the threads and re copper greased them.I am now very very broke having spent more on parts this month than I had planned, the little bits just add up.

Here's what's been keeping the postman fit.. gaskets, seals, plastigauge, conrod bearings, copper washers for the turbo feeds, a hydraulic tensioner and I've finally found a decent set of grommets. The last box I bought were really hard and you couldn't get the flippin things in! A prize if you can spot Herman..

treefingers

Postby treefingers » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:12 pm

Ballsface and clamshackles.. just typed out a really long message on here and then accidentally pressed a keyboard shortcut and lost it all! what a spunktrumpeting jizzbanger. So I'm going to type it out for the second time!

The main thing holding the car build back is money at the moment so I'm putting in as many hours of over time at work as I can to pay for it. Hopefully selling my Corrado driver and replacing it with something crap and cheap to run to free up some Rocco funds. Not keen on doing it but needs must, I can handle driving something crap if I know this will be on the road sooner! I'm going to try not to rush this second build as much as the first time though. I was so keen to get it on the road I didn't spend as much time as I should have done on some parts, mainly thinking things through. Also I've realised it's such a waste of time and effort trying to cut corners as you just end up redoing those things later how you should have done them in the first place! Hopefully I can stick to this ethos from now on.. the novelty of doing things for the first time is wearing off slightly and I'd prefer to do a job once now, do it properly, have it work and not have to re-do it if I can avoid it!! I had limited skills when I started this but that has increased to a little bit of skill, so we'll see. I've been offered a working 1.8t engine to drop in this car, and for cheap too. I did think about it, I could have had a running car sooner! It was tempting but I'm determined to get an engine built, I've never done it before so I like the challenge. I'm not particularly anal or diligent which are qualities you need when engine building so it's a good test!

So this week I visited a local machine shop to pick up some of Herman's engine parts.. and he now has a part lightened and fully balanced rotating assembly.. result. This thing should be smooth as now.

These crankshafts are supposedly balanced before VW install them but they're not all done to precision it would seem.. The crank and pulley were added together and spun up. Then material was removed from the number 1 piston counterweights:

Either side of number one piston big end journal:

And on one of piston 3's counter weights:

Here's the balancing report.. the bottom sheet is for the crankshaft and the top sheet for the flywheel and pressure plate. No material was removed from the flywheel which is pretty cool, it means our lightening job must have been a pretty good one! Pleased with that for a first effort.

After getting my block sand blasted and painted I found out a machine hone wasn't good enough for it and the 120k block would need reboring to be built back up.. a massive arse and more £££!! You can see the wear in each cylinder..

One bore was so bad it had wear around nearly the whole circumference

The machinist was surprised I didn't have oil blowby and a smoky exhaust! With the price of a rebore and new pistons and rings I decided to look for a new block as I already have my rings and pistons waiting to go in! I managed to find an Audi A4 cabriolet block on ebay that had had turbo failure. It only had 53k miles on it and looked in good condition.

Drove down to give it a health inspection and it still had the original cross hatching! The bores looked much better so I snapped it up!

I asked the machinist 'what's the advantage of you honing it? what's wrong with me just using a honing tool on a drill?' to which he quietly replied 'well my honing tool cost £60,000'. Good salesman..

treefingers

Postby treefingers » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:46 pm

It's bon voyage to the Corrado now.. it was costing me more to run than the pleasure it gave me so I sold it and I have been converted to the dark side.. diesel and vegetable oil to power my daily voyages across the planet. All you Jedi's needn't worry though as the force is still strong.. and more cash is free'd up to spunk away on the only car that really matters.. of which has just received a wash, clay and polish. Herman lives outside and too much crap falls onto him while he patiently waits in the calm before the storm.. i.e. a trick new heart! He'll be back on the road driving when he's done, realistically I think he will be back together for the autumn, then I can break in the new engine before the winter sets in and really tweak the car over the winter months ready for 2016:summer of fun.

All shiney once more! Also with new grill pin striping that I have masked and sprayed. The red tape was just useless at sticking.

Now I have a cover I feel a bit less bad about the car being outside

Got my new Audi block honed and the bores are mint now :) All explosion ready now!

In my new quest to do things properly I had the block shot blasted together with a new valve cover (the correct one for my coil packs)

Then spray painted with POR15 engine enamel, thinned using POR15 solvent. I had to do a lot of ridiculously thin coats as I'd thinned my last bit of paint too much! Managed to do the block with about a quarter of a pint. Can't believe I managed to get it to go so far.

To prep I used POR15 marine clean degreaser and they POR15 metal prep and ready which is a zinc coating that helps the paint adhere. You can't see a lot of detail in the photo but it's come out really nice and should be corrosion free for a very long time now.

More soon. Bug jam this weekend..

treefingers

Postby treefingers » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:23 pm

Tried out some new hi-temp aluminium paint for parts tonight. POR15 again, me likey lots

Return to “Projects and Restoration”