Blast from the past - Marmite

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
steve bain

Re: Blast from the past - Marmite

Post by steve bain »

so, it turns out my friends new boyfriend is a coded welder and has offered to weld my driveshafts and make custom exhaust and any other pipework. result.

He's keen to come over and help with the conversion too as he loves all things cars.....

My build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14083
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

What a result. :-D

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
G Beats

Post by G Beats »

Car looks lovely at Ultimate Dub's well done.Now on with a new Project I read here will keep you very busy indeed.Will there be a new one next year after this one or will this be it ? Please let me and us know your thoughts on this here.As of course it always makes good read what you are doing Steve.

G Beats.Been into MK 2 V.W Sciroccos since 98.Now on my fourth MK 2 Scirocco. R.I.P two MK 2 Scala DX Engine's.Sold GT 2. No longer have a mk 2 v.w Scirocco as it was stolen back in February 2020 .Or another one know have a 1980s BMW.
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

finally managed to get my engine to ecu wiring loom stripped back to just this! my brain aches but it'll be worth it. Just needs final location and taping...after fitting the engine of course!

i've done a bit of cleaning up and painting of components such as starter motor, gearbox etc. just waiting for the big now, but still too sunny at the moment to take her off the road....

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

So i have made a tiny bit of progress on the turbo set up for the VR6. very small.
After being let down on a secondhand turbo 'package' i have some other secondhand bits turning up, so a step in the right directions.

Bosch 440cc injectors from a Focus RS with adaptor cables to fir the VR plugs
X parts cast turbo manifold
Turbosmart wastegate with screamer pipe (upside down in photo for some reason!)
3inch Downpipe and wastegate pipe for modifying as was from different wastegate (shown with tial, but not included in purchase)

So all i have to get now is turbo, headspacer, intercooler, intercooler pipes, make a short runner intake, ecu chip, BOV, arp headbolts, arp rod bolts, loads of gaskets! and were pretty much good to turbo. i hope my wife never finds out about this! and fit engine to car that it isn't meant to fit of course!

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

look what just arrived!! exctited! off to the powdercoaters we go.....

even came with bolts which was a pleasant suprise.

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

so a load of bits have gone to the powder coaters and some turbo parts have arrived! yay.

i've been ordering bits too, decompression plate, head bolts, head gasket, sump gasket (so i can fit turbo oil return and reinforce the sump), cold temp spark plugs, manifold studs and nuts, gaskets and probably some other stuff

at a local show

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

Turbo!

My build thread:
roccodave

Post by roccodave »

Wow blast from the past is about right just found this thread and read it through, awesome build thread buddy need to meet up and have a good look around it at some point.

steve bain

Post by steve bain »

so i have taken the rocco off the road for the year to do the conversion. We have just had a daughter so the work will be slow! i managed to grab some time (at 1am!) to do a leak down test on the vr6. One of the exhaust valves is blowing badly but the rest are good and consistent. The head has to come off anyway to fit the decompression plate so figured it makes sense to get the head all fixed up nice. A local machine shop is going to do the lot, clean it, new guides, new seals, cut valves, skim etc. This means i know that once bolted down its as good as can be. The bores are clean with good markings which is good and the chains and tnesioner are still as new. its a bit of progress.

i also noticed that my larger injectors are 10mm shorter so the fuel rail will need modifying.

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

Got a phone call from the machine shop and it was indeed the exhaust valve guide. They said they were all a bit iffy so replaced the lot, so new guides, seals, skimmed, relapped valves and cleaned. Should be ready next week ready for engine rebuild.

My build thread:
BlackGTX
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by BlackGTX »

Sell the injectores and get a taller set with the flow rate

steve bain

Post by steve bain »

Few pics of progress....

My build thread:
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Making progress.
Lots of valves to grind in, bet your glad you dont have a 16v, took me ages with just 8 valves :-D

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

bit more progress. lightend flywheel, 6 puck clutch and turbo stuff! not lon until i can swap the engines!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My build thread: