Blast from the past - Marmite

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Blast from the past - Marmite

Post by james butler »

steve bain wrote:
I know everyone is going 1.8T, but i like the rawness of the old engine
in keeping with the age of the car too

even so gotta love those 20v turbos

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

i've been a busy boy

new sandblaster is awesome!

took about 10 seconds to get it this clean!

used 3M 4229-P tape which i got off ebay. just bolted both screws in and then stuck it on. no room for adjustment after so you have to do it first time. much easier than gluing though

pressed metal plates are on. also sandblasted and painted the headlight frames with ZG-90 with is a high zinc one coat stuff i got from the local metal fabricators. seems good

test fitting the mk2 golf grill i bought. the guy i got it from was banging on about how desirable the original 7 slat single headlight grills were. didn't feel guilty at all cutting it up! at the moment it is zip tied on so i could look at it, but with eventually fixing it to the rear of a scirocco grill. i like the single headlamp look and don't want to run my chunky 4 slat passat grill and eyebrow anymore as i think it looks dated. this is a bit more oem (in a way). will prob paint the vw badge black

glass in. 5mm rope from screwfix, bottle of window clean. took about 3 minutes per side! so easy.used that window sealer that you guy recommended too. seems good stuff. the windscreen was obviously a pain and took about 30 minutes but its in snugg and hasn't broken! needs a clean!

also fitted a mk3 golf interior mirror. just popped the metal ring off, removed the golf arm, and refitted in reverse on the rocco arm. works great and looks suitably original for a fiver.

i've also sandblasted and painted some bits and bobs too. looking forward to getting her out in the sun and getting some proper pictures! not the easiest in the garage!

My build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14083
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

i've been putting more bits back together and its slowly looking like a car!

i spent ages realigning the tailgate. must have had it off about 5 times. but it is now perfect. refitted the struts after the now compulsory sandblast and coat of black paint to the fittings. I used the windscreen goo to seal the mounting holes and used new stainless steel button head allen key bolts. In fact i am replacing everything with stainless steel as i go. stainless nuts and bolts from toolstation are so cheap! wiring in and ready to go (just need to sandblast the number plate bulb holder and paint. also fitted the tailgate glass, number plate and lock with a new seal. obviously needs a clean up! mounted the number plate direct to the paint using double sided tape as my plastic thing is completely knackered and can't really see its purpose, maybe on a white car, but fine on mine.

number plates are pressed metal and were only £17.50 off ebay delivered which i thought was a bargain!

just looks mean!

fitted the drivers lock, handle and central locking which took ages to get to work spot on. I am currently spraying the inserts black. i've gone back to standard handles now, but i used to have chinese spec ones which look like mk3 golf ones.

and new strike pins from classic-vw. bargain at £3.50 each!

also, when i refitted the bodykit i chose to use 3m 4229-p tape. its dead strong but can be easily cut through with dental floss in the future. the tiger seal i used years ago tore the paint off when i removed the kit

also refitted refurbed bonnet pins, sandblasted loads of bits, boot lock and strike, bonnet safety latch etc etc ready for painting. painted the vw badge satin black too.

hopefully this week i will finish the exterior and start the interior. then its engine out...

My build thread:
Risocco

Post by Risocco »

Looking so good dude, looking forward to more progress

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

cheers mate. I did a bit more last night but nothing exciting so no photos.

I spent about an hour fitting the headlight frames so that the indicators sat perfectly in the wing! fitted passenger side lock and handle, sprayed all the locks and stuff i sandblasted the other day, fitted the hooks to the b-pillars (yep, i do count that as progress!)

I had to repair the gearstick as the garage did something odd to it and took we a while to work it out. It turned out that the circlip on top off the spring had slid up the shaft where i assume they pushed down too hard. annoyingy the circlip wouldn't reseat that strongly and my box of circlips didn't have the correct size so i used the original circlip with an 11mm fuel hose T-clamp above it. its not going anywhere now!

I also welded a threaded rod on top of my gearstick so i could refit the original gearknob. I sliced it off yeahs ago to fit an aluminium aftermarket one. at the same time i stepped it back about 8mm and made it more upright so it looks like a normal gearstick. I always hated the long leaning back one. I have short shift so no problems with space.

I fitted the drivers seat to ensure the gearknob was where i wanted it and then drove backwards and forwards a bit. the seats are so comfy!!

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

I also forgot to mention that i fitted the boot seal, but more importantly had a look at the cobra alarm which wasn't working. One new battery in the key fob and it all works! alarm, central locking, flashing lights, the lot. Very pleased indeed as will save a load of hassle compared to replacing it.

My build thread:
james butler

Post by james butler »

looks good buddy and good tip about the 3m tape on the plastics, i will have to remember that one.
that sand blaster is awesome i use mine loads, its worth buying a little bag less vacuum if you can to suck out the dust as you blast then any grit you suck up can be reused when you come to empty it.

steve bain

Post by steve bain »

so i had a good days work on sunday. welded 4 more holes in the pan that i found. that has to be all of them! waxoyled everything again, fitted last skirt, door seals, cleaned and fitted carpets, centre console, rear seats, front seat, headlights with new adjusters, front bumper, replaced door lock bolts with stainless steel ones (countersunk m8 - 35mm long inc head in anyone wants to know), bit of painting, bit more cleaning and fitted all of the sunvisor area.

lowered it a bit more but am stuck now until i get the wheels powdercoated and tyres which won't hit the arch! i even had to take the spacers off for the moment.

photos in no decent order and not very useful, but its all i took.

sandblasted, painted and new stainless button head bolts

back seat!

very minging sunvisors, came up very well...no pic though

new and old headlight clips. i used the original frame mount with new brass bolt and swivel head.

sound insulation. this is the stuff i put in about 15 years ago that my dad gave me when he was restoring a car

grubby seat prior to cleaning

where it got to on sunday...leaking....

with spacers taken out of the rear until i get new tyres and set ride height / trim arches

I also went for a spin up the road and i have forgotten how fast it is!

few photos in no particular order. i must learn to take better pictures!

I also found an old amplifier. its an XSA-720 one from 2000. it works and is a whopping 4x90W rms. from memory it was a really good amp, but it looks like shit. I also have pioneer one that is 4x35W rms which from memory was a bit lacking and is from 2008ish . I can't decide whether to use these and accept they look crap, but they are in the boot, or cough up £150 odd and buy nice new ones which will probably be better i guess.

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

few more pictures from bits and bobs i've been doing.

so my bonnet latch thingy was broken so i made one out of aluminium. I think i am going to reprofile it to match the original one at some point as it does look a bit bulky

sandblasted,painted and refitted number plate lights. I also redid all the dodgy connections with heat shrink etc.

I want to get my wheels powdercoated soon and before i fork out £260 i wanted to double check the colours. I bought a can of u-pol mixed paint in RAL 1001 off ebay. it goes on so nicely. lovely to use. this is just to test colour so no prep!

the cardboard trick works really well to keep paint off the tyre

hmmm. more yellow than i expected. defo the wrong colour, i wanted them more brown so good job i did test them. amazing how the finish looks ok in the picture...but it really isn't!

looks ok with the flash on

when its seen with the tan leather the colour is clearly completely wrong!

i've ordered a can of RAL 1019 which looks like this. it may look better, but its so hard to tell without actually painting a wheel!

i think if this doesn't work i may try darker colours, but i do like the idea of a lighter cream

My build thread:
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Great to see this old beast coming back together Steve - one of the cars that got me back into the Rocco love back in '05.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

very quick mock up of the colour. more brown/beige than the previous colour which was too yellow imo. maybe not to everyone taste, but i'm happy with it. matches the body colour, goes with the tan and something a bit different to silver. they will be dropped off at the powdercoaters on saturday and have had some 175/50 r15 tyres delivered to go on. (currently 195/45 r15)

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

Last Friday I finished off the centres for the wheels and before i took the wheels off and took some metal off the engine to take to the powdercoaters I popped into the loft to grab some bits before putting the car back in. Then it all went a bit wrong! Ladder slipped and I fell about 7ft onto concrete on my back and broke it. Along comes the ambulance and of to hospital for 3 days.A week later and I can walk on my own and expect it to be another week before I can do normal stuff again. So my wife was the attending paramedic and I made sure she cleared the garage and put the Rocco away despite the fact I couldnt move and was in agony, but you have to get your priorities right in these situations. So in good news she did it perfectly and no damage was done. Phew! Anyway, there will be not so many updates for a couple of weeks.

My build thread:
DT1

Post by DT1 »

Not good...hope you have a speedy recovery.

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Bloody 'ell Steve!

Take care.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
james butler

Post by james butler »

blimey take it easy buddy.
backs are one of those things that once damged give you a liftime of trouble, take it from some one who knows!