Blast from the past - Marmite

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
steve bain

Blast from the past - Marmite

Post by steve bain »

Evening all.

Some of you may remember me, but most will not. I used to be on here all the time with my scirocco storm which i bought when i was 16, spent 3 years or so restoring and drove it for quite some time. I am now 29 so I have had her a while!

anyway, I stopped being a student and got a job, but doing 2 hours of driving a day was taking its toll on her and I needed 2 new tyres, new wishbones, polybushes (mine had pretty much all given up!) and the exhaust was doing something funny. no problem. bought a polo and used that and kept the rocco for weekend. Then someone drove into the wing and it needed replacing and then the missus left and I decided to park the rocco up for a while until my situation changed and i drove an awful mondeo estate. anyway, 3 years later my situation as changed and I want to get her back on the road.

during the time she was parked up I had some building work done and they scratched some of the bodywork, then some dink came on my drive and keyed all my cars.

so I have a good list to get sorted. So far I have freed of the brakes and got the engine going which is a small relief.

To do:
new battery - done
new fuel relay (took a while to work that one out!)
service: dizzy, rotor arm, new leads, oil, oil filter, fuel filter, flush and replace coolant etc
free brakes - done
mot welding - both rear arches need attention, front jacking points
weld over aerial hole
replace wing
replace rear arb strap
fix headlamp
fit new wishbone, polybushes and top mounts (already have)
fit drilled and grroved discs and ebc pads (which I already have and found the other day, not that i remember buying them!
see if i can free up sticky handbrake mech on rear caliper, if not just replace
replace stainless steel 4 branch manifold as it has rusted and has holed. I have heat wrap and i think not using it has made it retain moisture and rust.

take to bodyshop and get paint fully sorted, top to bottom
underseal underside, doors etc
clean interior and tidy up
clean engine bay up
replace tappets
replace amps i had to sell!
most likely sort out the electric windows which will no chance work!

take 1.8T out of my audi and put into scirocco, next year i think

for anyone who doesn't know the car heres the spec i can remember and some pics of it prior to coming off the road.
Bodywork - single wiper, front washer jets deleted, rubbing strips removed, vinyl removed, single lamp conversion with internally tinted lamps, spoiler deleted, rear dewipered, rear washer jet deleted, scuttle and rear lamp location seams deleted, chinese spec door handles, custom eyebrow spoiler, mk3 golf front bib, german spec plates, pinstriping to front wings, F1 style mirrors

engine - 2litre bottom end with dx head, match ported to inlet, 16v golf tb match ported to manifold, pipercross filter in drilled box, newman high lift cam with kent vernier pulley, mocal external oil cooler, stainless 4 branch into powerflow custom exhaust, vdo gauges

other bits - 256mm front brakes and rear discs with uprated larger servo, front lower strut brace and rare as rocking horse poo aluline alloys

and lots and lots of other stuff which i forget!

My build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14083
the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Blast from the past - Marmite

Post by the edmundator »

Welcome back, Steve. I certainly remember you and your car. I think you had a fairly impressive Beetle project as well - what happened to that?

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
Risocco

Post by Risocco »

Indeed, welcome back Steve :beers:

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

ah poo. just wrote a post and deleted it by accident! heres some pics of cars i've had since i was last one here. and some of the beetle which is...er...ongoing :)

beetle
before

after

the audi I owned for 2 weeks before the ex took it :(

landy - bloody brilliant

resprayed ready to sell...

the boat

westy - currently on ebay

my daily - this is where i'm getting the 200bhp 1.8T for the rocco from. sorry audi.

My build thread:
Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Love it love it love it.

Used to be one of my favourite cars, subtle but incredibly menacing. Good to see you back fella.

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

what the Funk said Steve. :hi:

Serial Rocco-ist.........
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

right. i've done some more thinking on this one. I don't need to get the rocco on the road as i have another car so figure i'm going to fix her just the once. I hate to say it, but i think i am planning a light resto. Rather than mess about i'll just strip everything, replace or rebuild it and then i know its done for a good few years then. i'm going to start in one corner and work my way around. drivers side first as i can actually get to it! it was 1999 when i pay £130 for her and it wasn't until 2002ish that I got her on the road which was 10 years ago now!! so a bit overdue really.

job one. welders broken! typical so its off for repair tomorrow :) and going to gsf to do a serious shop!

to be fair I have gone though it and the list is not that bad really. I know a lot more about cars now and how to fix them and have a little more money than when i was 16 so i expect to have it done over christmas ready for next year. just need to get the bathroom finished first! why is it we see to always be refitting bathrooms!

My build thread:
The Autoad

Post by The Autoad »

bloody hell! :swoon:

Welcome back Steve, look forward to seeing what happens here...

Your friendly neighbourhood Scirocco restorer for hire
go-for-it1

Post by go-for-it1 »

Welcome back, think I remember seeing your car down the south west a few years ago

1990 Mk2 GT2 in Pearlescent green.
2012 BMW 520d M Sport
2013 Golf TDi 140bhp
Member No 1241
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

thought i would drag this post up rather than re-type it! Life and stuff got in the way of getting her back on the road last time, but spoke to a guy yesterday about the bodywork and think a full respray is the way to go as every panel has a slight blemish and by the time you have done half the car i may as well do the rest and this has spurred me on to get it done as its not really that much work.

I need to get all the welding and repair work done before paint as sods law says i will scratch it! same issues as before and still plan to start at the front and work around it.

so assuming the weather holds up, work starts TONIGHT! ideally i would like to get both new front wishbones on and discs and pads. I would be happy with that. Maybe get the new wing on too and adjusted and work out the extent of welding to the cills i need to do! perhaps waxoyl both front arches.

One question i have. Would you mot it before paint? or do all the repairs, paint it and then mot it? the guy painting it will have it for a couple of months as it will be a gap filler for him to keep costs down so it will be sat around wasting mot and tax etc. or i can just trailer it over and mot it afterwards. My garage are pretty good so not concerned about them damaging it.

Also, where can i get the rear arb clamps from? mine have both rusted through.

So i think the plan is to get everything sorted while the weather is good and get it painted over winter as the spray guy is fully booked until july and i'm getting married in september so timing just doesn't quite work out to get her on the road this summer.

i will keep you posted.

Steve

My build thread:
Nate

Post by Nate »

I'd test it last of all, save having it sat with test going to waste.

Crazy quiffs do stainless arb clamps

Good to see ya back. This was always one o my favourite roccos

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

ha! just realised the original post i said i was going to get the car sorted in was from 2012! how time passes. cheers nate. i'm looking forward to getting her sorted. bit scared of taking the bodykit off though!!

My build thread:
essextom

Post by essextom »

What front splitter have u got fitted, I bought a big bumper golf splitter but I'm not sure about it yet.

steve bain

Post by steve bain »

mk3 golf i think. i had to reprofile the curves on the corners but generally fits well and take a beating....

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

just a quick update. I was good to my word and work has begun. so far:

removed damaged drivers wing
Offered up replacement - needs a bit of tweeking, but will fit fine
painted and fitted both new wishbones with polymounts
painted lower strut brace and fitted
painted both front hubs and other bits nearby!
painted and freed up both front calipers
fitted new ebc green stuff pads
cleaned up old discs
waxoyled under wings
fitted new top mounts to both front coilovers
removed all heat wrap from 4 branch ready to remove it and get repaired / replace
replaced front arb bushes

thats it for 2 evenings so far. wondering why i havent done this ages ago as its proving to be quite quick!
next job is to get the exhaust sorted and engine started / serviced so i can get the car out and start on the rear end. I love working on this car so much!!

My build thread: