The Roccie Horror Show

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
isaidthephil
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: 16v MK2 Scirocco

Post by isaidthephil »

So at the weekend i decided to remove my G60's and paint. They were in a sorry state due to stupidly using the hands car wash a few times, they were all flakey and rusting. All in all it cost me about £25 for 2 x Primer, 2 x Lacquer, 2 x Paint and a pack of assorted sand paper. It took me a few hours to sand them down and paint leaving around 15 - 20 minutes between coats then leaving them for 24 hours to dry. Anyway below are some pics or me doing it and how they looked afterwards.

Sorry looking wheel

Centre caps I had lying around

Sanded down

Masked and primed - I did 2 coats of primer

Painted - Colour is gun metal grey and I did 4 coats

Lacquered and dried - I did 2 coats of Lacquer. Little bit of overspray but that will come off easy enough as I had wet black on my tyres.

Fitted - here it is with the G60 caps and flats. I decided to go with the flats

These are just my winter wheels, i will be getting some new wheels in the summer but I still want it to look half decent through the winter.

Let me know what you think.

Risocco

Post by Risocco »

Flat caps look so much better on G60s. Good stuff.

What primer did you use? Thinking about doing this myself.

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

Thanks mate :)

I just used some grey primer from halfords. If I had bought it online like I did the actual paint i could have probably got it a lot cheaper but because the weather was good I just got stuck in and did it rather than waiting for paint to arrive.

It's nice and simple so long as you take your time and apply multiple nice thin coats.

isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

Decided to draw how I want my car to look. I am aiming to have this all done by next show season meaning i am hoping this thread should be updated quite regularly. Below is a list of what I am aiming to have done and what what pic represents;

Exterior;

De-kitted
Side repeaters removed
Arial removed
Spoiler removed
Side trim removed
Fog lights removed
Yellow tint headlights
Full respray in original green (wont be removing the engine though as the bay in mint)
Lowered on Coilover (I will be having air ride fitted but that wont be until late next year)
Bullet steel wheels

Interior;

Half cage (maybe full if I can get on that misses the dash)
Either my seats re-done in leather or some other seats such as Passat CC or Porsche 944
Fake floor in the back with some subtle speaker etc (nothing chavy)

This is my first drawing, I will be drawing a rear angle view and may try and interior one too.

isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

Sooooooo........ I have been quiet as i have been between jobs and having to just keep the motor maintained to get back and to work.

This weekend I should be picking up a little daily driver ( Dirty diesel Citreo Xsara ) never owned anything that isn't VW BUT for free who cares :)

So once I have that up and running, it will be time to start getting to work properly on Roccie the Rocco. I am going to strip it completely ready for all the body work later this year / early next.

Whilst the engine is out i am thinking about doing a carb conversion. Can anybody recommend some good conversions on the 1.8 16v KR? + what I will need to do it? I was looking at twin 40's etc but they are looking pretty expensive, so I was thinking maybe bike carbs?

I was thinking about going for a 1.8t conversion but tbh, I don't really drive like a dick and think the 16v is nippy enough + is easy to work on.

isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

This weekend I will be picking up some GSXR 750 Bike Carbs along with Manifold, fuel pump and fuel regulator etc.

I will probably have a bash at fitting them over the next couple of weeks so will keep the page updated on how I get on :) I saw them running on another KR the other day and they sounded and looked pretty good. I am hoping to have a bit more space under the bonet once I have removed all the Fuel Injection crap.

Updates to come. If anybody has any recomendations / words of advise then please let me know.

isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

Should be picking up these cheeky carbs later today :)

They are GSXR750 Carbs jetted to work with the 1800. I will also be getting the manifold + pumps etc with it all too.

Chaps

Post by Chaps »

good stuff mate. looks well the car now!! Carbs will be fun!!

1991 Wide Arched Rieger Scirocco.....

Good things come to those who wait!!!!
isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

Thanks mate :)

I am hoping the carbs should make things a little more interesting. I will put some pics up as I convert along with a video of how it sounds.

Car will now just be on the road until November when I will do a full nut and bolt strip down :)

isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

So I finally went and picked up my carbs at the weekend, best £80 I have spent;

GSXR 750 Carbs already jetted for my KR
Facet Silver Top fuel pump
Filter King fuel regulator
Custom stainless manifold

Now I am just waiting for the below to arrive;

Ram Air air filters
Fuel Pressure gauge
Choke kit
Oil Catch Can

Hopefully it will all be here by Friday as I have taken the day off work to fit :)

isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

Sooooo last week I did my motorbike carb conversion. Here is what I did.

Got all my bits;

GSXR 750 Carbs jetted for my 16v
RamAir filters
Custom stainless Manifold
Facet Silver top fuel pump
Filter King Fuel Regulator
fuel pressure gauge
Oil Catch can
Universal Choke cable kit
2 x solder-less nipples
1 x 8mm T-Piece
Couple of meters of 8mm fuel pipe
Lots of small jubilee clips and some big ones.

Engine bay before I started;

It looked cool but fuel injection isn't for me + all that inlet manifold / intake pipe was taking up too much space for my liking.

So, I started by removing anything to do with the fuel injection / air which was basically the inlet manifold, injectors, airbox and fuel matrix. If you un-bolt everything it all pretty much comes off in one.

This is what I was left with under the bay;

I then started by jacking the back of the car up and removing the old fuel pump. Not being technical I have to look at a manual and have a chat with my bro as basically the facet pump is very basic. It has fuel in, fuel out and a live where as the old pump had a live, earth and had fuel in, fuel out but this also then went into something else that split the lines in two...... anyyyyywaayyyy to cut a long story short the current engine had a fuel return reservoir which was now no longer needed.

So remove you old filter /reservoir. Mount the new pump using one the the bolts where your old pump was. I also at this point nipped the end of the earth cable and attached a eyelet so I could bolt this to the body when attaching the pump. Run the pipe coming from the prime pump (square white plasticy looking thing) into the fuel in. Use on of the lines running into your engine bay and connect this to the fuel out on the pump. You may need to use some new fuel line for this bit. I then block off the fuel return line that goes into the prime pump with a big bolt and jubilee clip. Then I connected the live up to the pump.

Once that was done I then moved into the engine bay.

First of all I fitted the manifold. I used my old gasket as I forgot to order a new one. If you do this then make sure you use some instant gasket too so you don't get any air leaks. Ideally though just remember to buy a new gasket.

I then mounted the carbs to the manifold using some rubber pipe and jubilee clips. I'm not sure on the diameter of the pipe as I got all of this with the carbs already BUT just make sure it won't collapse when being sucked.

I then mounted the fuel regulator. I mounted mine down where the air box used to be (as there were already some little holes) using a little custom made mount (basically a flat bit of metal with some holes drilled in it.

I then worked out which line I connect the pump up to under the car. This was easy as I knew i had used the old fuel feed and I knew which pipe originally went into the fuel metering matrix. If you don't know this then you can just turn you ignition on and see which one is pissing out fuel.

I then connected the fuel line to the fuel regulator which I did using some fuel line and jubilee clips. The fuel lines i had coming into the bay were copper so I had to use rubber fuel line to make them reach to the regulator. Nice and easy.

I then ran a line out of the regulator into a fuel pressure gauge (this is needed so you can set the pressure right. You can buy regulators with these built in but again I got all of mine with the carbs for cheeps :) ) I then ran a line from the gauge to the carbs.

The carbs have two fuel lines going in so you will no need to fit a T-Piece to split your line in two. I then fitted some more fuel line to the T-Piece and ran them into the carbs.

I then needed to attach the accelerator cable. I read few different mays of doing this like running a push bike brake cable etc but dont bother. Simply cut the end off your current cable and attach a solder-less nipple. It takes 10 minutes and fits much nicer. The lad I bought the carbs off had made a little bracket to sit the accelerator cable in so it sat nice on top of the engine. He just made that from the bracket that used to hold the cable and bent it to fit;

It's a nice cheap, simple bodge but looks tidy, mounts easily to the back of the block where it used to mount and does the job perfect.

Next was attaching the brake servo line to the side of the manifold which I did by using some of the pipe i had removed when taking all the manifold / airbox off. This again was nice and simple.

I then mounted my oil catch can near the radiator and ran the oil breath pipe to it. You can add an extra pipe on the catch can with a filter or something but for me personally I am only using it so the shit doesn't go directly onto the road.

So with all that done this is how the engine bay now looked;

Everything was now in place meaning I could try and fire the old boy up. Here is the first start...... remember what once your fire up you will need to adjust your fuel regulator to 3 psi (below is a video, just click it) ;

You can hear it sounds bit funny but that was because it was sucking in air from where the carbs were mounted plus it wasn't really setup.

Here is how it looked with the filters on;

Here it is just ticking over later that night (below is a video so just click it);

I still need to go over everything yet tide it up, like cut out all the old electrical bits that are in the bay and insulate them under the dash. Fit the choke cable (not essential but if I want to drive it in winter I will need it) and generally tidy it up and go round making sure everything is nice and tight etc.

I have read a few forums etc and people are always asking about the ECU / dizzy etc. All your ECU is now doing is controlling your spark so only attaches to the dizzy. I think i may need to adjust my timing slightly but thats it you don't really need to touch any of that.

At the mo I think it is still sucking in air as it aint quite running right BUT it runs.

We did set it up ourselves but I am going to take it on a rolling road and have it done properly and see what bhp it's at.

I must say though, off the mark it is something else, it's sooooo responsive it's unreal =)

Once it's all setup I will post some more video's of the sound and let you now the BHP etc.

[REMEMBER PEOPLE I AM 100% AMATEUR SO DON'T KNOW LOADS BUT IF YOU ANY QUESTIONS THEN FIRE AWAY AND I WILL TRY MY BEST TO ANSWER]

isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

Soooooo we have some massive things happening over the coming months;

1 - I have bought "The Bandit" shell :) so will be transferring everything from my car over whilst also making quite a few changes :) Because of buying the shell it will mean my shell will be up for sale. My shell is as solid as a rock.... if anybody is interested in it then please let me now. I wll also be selling my seats which are again mint. No rips or tares at all.

2. I have just ordered my new wheels - http://www.bulletwheels.co.uk/ProductDe ... ET-60-15x9. I have gone for a staggered fitment with 9j rears and 8j fronts :)

3. Engine will be going completely black whilst it is out. I will also be stripping an rebuilding my carbs as well as having my manifold all cleaned up and straightened up by the machining company that makes / supplies all of Brawns F1 parts:) then when it is all back in it will be professionally setup :)

Basically the car should be very different but pretty cool come summer :) Hopefully get it down to the National meet

isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

New wheels have arrived :) Just waiting all the rest of my things to arrive over the coming weeks to really crack on with the Frankenstein :)

treefingers
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by treefingers »

Cool wheels man. Will the 9s fit ok under the arches?

isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

Thanks mate,

Yeah they should do. The shell I am getting is currently running 16" x 9J at the rear so i should be fine. You would usually have issues i think but the arches have been rolled.