My 88 Scala, summer project *3 years later*

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
KrisB
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: My 88 Scala, summer project

Post by KrisB »

Cheers go-for-it, found the paint code and engine code. its EX which will come in hand quit a lot.

ANOTHER UPDATE.

Decided to strip the engine out clean the bay and clean up the engine and replace most parts. But only removed the alternator, engine oil and oil filter. Will be doing over a few weekends as I'm not clued up on anything but learning as I go along so doing it slowly. Also took seats out and clean interior and rear headlights and front headlights. Found a nice bit of rust as well. Luckily it hidden behind the plastic number plate so can be bodged to a good standard from my self.

Some more pics.

The rust, as said nothing major and not visible when parts on but will be treated and sorted.

Pretty chuffed with the look of the carpets after a good vac and sweep. My mums having the living room and dining room at home re decorated and once its done shes getting a carpet cleaner so will be cleaning the seats with that.

Absolutely love doing this I'm sure at some point I will be gaining more grey hairs and hating it but will be worth it in the end

Kris

Daily: Toyota Hilux Proper Work Yoke
Weekend: VW Touareg R-Line
Project: 88' Rocco Scala

MCFC
DT1

Post by DT1 »

Think that is one of rustiest engines I've seen (including scrapyards). :chortle:

Rest of the car looks fine, shouldn't take long to sort.

I don't understand why people feel the need to put holes in the boot to fit a number plate though. :dash:

Risocco

Post by Risocco »

KrisB wrote:I'm not clued up on anything but learning as I go along so doing it slowly.
I was in the same boat when I started mine years ago. Best of luck with it all mate, you will be amazed how much klnowledge you will pick up by getting your hands dirty :good:

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

go-for-it1 wrote:
ianaudia4 wrote:EW engine code, this will be on the V5 as well.
EX? It will also be on the sticker in the boot. Nice project by the way.
Sorry I sent that from my phone, I hate little keys!

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
MacColl

Post by MacColl »

Man If I was closer or for that matter less busy I could weld it for you. I would cut the rot neatly out and then get a fabbed bit or even off another car welded in there.

Your enthusiasm is a tonic, mine has somewhat waned recently with my Rocco :focus:

KrisB

Post by KrisB »

Cheers all. Will be forever picking your brains etc in the future :buddy:

MCFC
Cpt Custom
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Cpt Custom »

KrisB wrote:Cheers all. Will be forever picking your brains etc in the future :buddy:
Didn't you see the sign ...

:hugegrin:

Image 1987 Alpine White Mk2 GT Lily
KrisB

Post by KrisB »

Hahaha never saw the sign. Think i'll ignore it :hugegrin:

MCFC
alscoob

Post by alscoob »

This thread looks so familiar.... done the same to mine it had been standing for 6 years or so & it was like this all over....

Hard work but well worth it !

KrisB

Post by KrisB »

Bit of an update on the progress so far. Not been on for a couple of weeks. Become really busy in work and the missus has started a new job so every fortnight I have to spend the weekend with her haha.

No pics. But got the front and rear body kit off, with the sides I have rusty screws with no heads any advice on removing these. As for the engine coolant system removed and pulled few other things off :dunno: still learning and reading through the haynes bible.

Also got to change brake fluid and upgrade the Clio 182 to braided brake lines.

Weathers holding out so hopefully have a full day on it tomorrow

MCFC
MacColl

Post by MacColl »

With a Dremel type tool and a cut off blade (careful these snap easy, I'd buy a big pack of them) , cut a groove in the head of a screw to allow the use of a flat screw driver. This has always worked for me, sometimes a real pain but not impossible.

KrisB

Post by KrisB »

LATEST UPDATE!!!

Engines stripped down to the block. In the process of replacing everything have a new rad, new water pump, new coil pack, new sump, slowly gathering the coolant pipes, all new temp switches etc. Some parts i've taken off and clean everything and checked it works, the oil pump being one.

Progress is slow, in the process of buying a house, found out the missus is pregnant so the wedding has been brought forward to January next year (from 2014). I've put my foot down and said the scirocco is staying. haha. :hugegrin:

Slowly getting there to getting the engine running doing the timing belt and tensioner next weekend but looking for some help on that as Haynes Manual is vague and makes it sound scary hahaha. Seen a video someone had posted on helping doing it, getting everything lined up correctly so will watch that a few times.

Will start doing more update as last one was APRIL :blush:

Kris

MCFC
KrisB

Post by KrisB »

Also undecided whether to keep the original colour or have a change something unique (obviously once its on the road and being used and saved up for it).

Was watching a programme on discovery (classic car chaser) and dreaming of the american muscle cars I wish I could own. Anyway they was looking at Yenko Chevy Camaro and I fell in love with the colour. After google searching it found it was called FATHOM GREEN.

Its just a thought for now, as the body work does need some work on it in places.

Thoughts??

MCFC
KrisB

3 years later its nearly done

Post by KrisB »

3 years ago was my last update. A lot has happened in that time got bought a house,got married, have a 2 year old daughter and another one on the way lol.

At the start of the year I decided it was time to pull my finger out and crack on with the car. My mate is a mechanic and has his own garage which was a god send. Having never heard the car run the wife went mad when I dragged her down to Birmingham (from Manchester) to pick up some wheels. If I had a £1 for every time I heard 'You have your priorities wrong'.

Got the car up to the garage and within day and half we had it turning over and firing up. Didn't have it running for long was only half an engine.

Had loads of pictures of this stage but laptop broke and lost alot of pics these are phone pics I managed to save

Box of goodies. Coilovers, Nickel fuel lines, new pads discs and other bits

First part was clean the grime and crap from arches and underneath, having been sat at the previous owners house for 6 years then 3 years garage hopping with me there was a lot of cobwebs. Airline blew majority away but wire brush cleaned it nicely. Was happy to see that the fuel filler neck was in good condition after reading on here how its always the problem.

Old suspension was shot

What was cleaned from the under side

6 cans of Tetra Schutz on the underside after the clean up. New coat of protection

The old springs

Undersealed archies

Old fuel lines had corroded on the bend up to the engine bay

New fuel pipes

Coilovers and painted the rear drums

New exhaust. Just a standard normal one nowt fancy, yet.

I got the coilovers off eBay from Germany nothing fancy and fairly cheap. It aint a race car and I don't do skidz in it. More show than anything, good job seats are comfy though lol bone rattler.

This was it finished but had so much trouble with the carburetor. Two mates couldn't sort it so sent it to a place in Bury called RE Performances couple of old chaps run it and mine was one of the newer cars in so they new there stuff lol. Got it running but was advised it needed a new carb (which is yet to be done). Before it went there it had an MOT passed with Slight brake line corrosion and Heavily under sealed as advisorys. I'm taking the heavily under sealed as a good thing haha

Jobs still do at the start of next year are:
New clutch
New Carb
Brake lines
Roll the wheel arches
Fresh coat of paint
and the wheels refurbed

Since May when I got it on the road to know I've done 550mile lol. Till the carb is fixed I daren't go far.

First trip to the Trafford Centre

The daughter likes it and the wife hates it

Hopefully next year will be making a few shows and meets in the north west area.

Kris

MCFC
mark1gls

Re: My 88 Scala, summer project *3 years later*

Post by mark1gls »

Glad it's finally on the road and going. How funny is that MOT advisory "Heavily under sealed" as you say that's a good thing.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323