A Storm is coming (1979 Mk1 Storm)

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
Rich_Rocco
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: A Storm is coming (1979 Mk1 Storm)

Post by Rich_Rocco »

Its been a while since i updated this so here goes!

prep work has begun!

this was supposed to go into the garage last week to get the downpipe and electrics sorted but the towtruck guy i booked didnt seem to understand the words "Early" or "Between 8am and 9am. the earlier the better" so had to reschedule to sometime next week :/

so whilst ive been waiting about i decided to get the car ready for paint (or do as much of the work as i can)

although the car doesnt have any major rust its got quite a few stone chips and small rust bubbles so its taking ages to chase them all back to clean metal etc. also fillered any small divots etc and fillered the rear arch where the new one was welded in. its come out pretty well but i'll perfect it when it stops raining.

ground back some of the rust scabs to reveal a few holes (its like this on the opposite side too)

ive since removed the tailgate, cleaned and rustproofed the inside as much as possible then put some fibreglass sheet inside to fill the void/back the holes then put filler and primer on the outside

also refurbed the badges when it got too dark to work on the bodywork...

sanded them back and gave them a coat of satin black then used blu tac to mask them off as tape would have been way too fiddly

the result:

came out pretty well to be honest.

Removed the bumpers so i could restore them and continue the bodywork

the front and rear panels are rediculously clean and unrusty. the tunnels which the bumper brackets go into have no rust inside them at all! definately unexpected but it was a pleasant surprise.

test fit the badges just because they look amazing next to the primer lol
(as mentioned above, the rust holes have since been repaired)

the only bits of rust found on the front panel (there wasnt even much surface rust. just small spots)...

everything was ground back to good metal. the crap bits were cut out 2 plates were put into the bad parts then eveything was coated in kurust, stone chipped and painted in black hammerite. i also put a bead of hefty roofing sealant in some of the gaps between the front panel and wings to prevent any water or crap getting in them.

the finished article:

really happy with the lack of rust on this car. the underside is rediculously clean too (had another peep under there whilstlooking for the bumper bolts.... turns out theyre inside the car :blush:

and finallyyyyyy

nice black bumpers instead of horribly grey and mossy ones

tomorrow i'll be prepping and priming the lower rear panel and reinstalling the bumpers and grill (which im cleaning with a toothbrush and soapy water as we speak... it will also get a blast of satin black tomorrow i reckon) then i'll be making a start on the bonnet...

cheers for looking

If it's got tits or tyres it's trouble but I always go back for more.
ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

Looking good. Another candidate for a north east mini meet in the future?

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
G60MAT

Post by G60MAT »

Great progress, sweet job with the badges too, I'll send you mine! :hehe:

Golf R Mk7.5 Estate | '96 Corrado VR6 | '77 Scirocco Mk1 G60 | '75 Scirocco Mk1 USA Barn Find
Trimsport Owner | Trimsport Store https://trimsport.bigcartel.com
Porsche Wheel Trader | WANTED: Eta Beta 17" or 18" Split Rims
Rich_Rocco

Post by Rich_Rocco »

ianaudia4 wrote:Looking good. Another candidate for a north east mini meet in the future?
definately im hoping the car will be on the road really soon so hopefully i'll make the next NE meet
G60MAT wrote:Great progress, sweet job with the badges too, I'll send you mine! :hehe:
cheers
i hope to never have to paint another set of bades ever again haha. too stressful :p

Rich_Rocco

Post by Rich_Rocco »

Also just a note for anyone thinking im the worst guy of all time for fibreglassing and filling my tailgate...

i promise its only a temporary measure and it will be welded as soon as i can get my hands on a welder or pay someone to do it.
i just thought it best to cut the rot out, clean it up and cover the holes as quickly as possible to stop it getting any worse :hugegrin:

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

Rich_Rocco wrote:Also just a note for anyone thinking im the worst guy of all time for fibreglassing and filling my tailgate...

i promise its only a temporary measure and it will be welded as soon as i can get my hands on a welder or pay someone to do it.
i just thought it best to cut the rot out, clean it up and cover the holes as quickly as possible to stop it getting any worse :hugegrin:
I know a good guy in Whitemere Pool, Gateshead, who does some fantastic VW restos, price easy on the wallet as well, pm if you want his number.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
Rich_Rocco

Post by Rich_Rocco »

not really much going on with this at the moment but work resumed today and will hopefully continue tomorrow weather permitting...

finished the back panel, drivers side wheel arch, bonnet and bootlid today
all thats left to do is the passenger wing, door, sill, rear quarter and the roof

and despite only just refurbing my rear badges ive got one of these on its way to me...

its an alloy badge from earlier mk1 models.
"why is he buying a new badge when he already has a perfectly good one??" i hear you cry
well its because this font is the same font used in the "scirocco storm" badge and im that OCD
also the badge itself is shaped like the "scirocco storm" badge too (slanted edges instead of vertical)

cant really whinge for 7 quid all in from eGay

tomorrow i'll be turning the car around so i can start paint prep on the passenger side. i'll also finally be fitting the new wheels.

yayyy

Rich_Rocco

Post by Rich_Rocco »

Car turned round, new wheels on and prep started on the passenger side

mega archgap but this will be cured by some slight lows when i eventually get coilovers/lowering shocks and springs
not gonna be decking this because i cant be dicked on with the hassle and it would take me about 300 years to get out of my new estate and its monumental and numerous speedbumps.

more boring updates later ^_^

Rich_Rocco

Post by Rich_Rocco »

today the postman was good to me

just got these from eBay. the rears are supersport. no clue what the fronts are but i'll find out from part numbers later. they came with newish topmounts ready bolted on too and were a very reasonable price.

so yeah... coilovers... what with them being easily adjustable it'd be rude not to go low wouldn't it? :p
still sort of sticking with what i said earlier in the thread though. daily, the car will be around 40mm lower than standard. i'll deck it for shows and photos though ;)

also bagged these along with the coilovers from the same seller...

3 point rear seatbelts from a mk1 golf. ive been told i can fit them in he rocco so i'll be doing that in the next week or so if i have spare time

got these late last year too

ive pretty much got everything i need ready fro getting it on the road and looking decent
ive even managed to sort getting it painted for the price of the paint and some beer money from a regular at the pub i work at :D

so realistically aiming to have it ready for mighty dub fest in mid june

Rich_Rocco

Post by Rich_Rocco »

not really progress but...

the last few days ive been helping my dad clean up his 1973 triumph daytona ready to sell on and helping him clean up and fix a few bits on his "new" 1976 triumph bonneville (this isnt a motorbike forum i hear you cry) and whilst raking about in the garage i discovered a cherrybomb exhaust that i forgot i'd bought about 2 years ago.

I wasnt mega keen on the red so i gave it a clean up and a blast of some high temperature black paint (which is more like really dark grey) and polished the tip (oo-err) and it came out alright:

may or may not fit it to the rocco for a laugh.

also got a little treat coming over from germany as we speak
i'll post here when it arrives.

Tee3

Post by Tee3 »

Interesting! :geek: Mods - this could end up a thread jack - please move if so.
Good spot Jake.
Just reading this.
Is this a Factory Front Anti Roll Bar thing?
Just fitted the front ARB to my ex-GLS. We fitted the engine and fuel system from a Scirocco GTI years ago, and routed the fuel lines in the same location they were on the original car... but they run right where the front ARB mounts are?
I dont remember the GTI having a front ARB but I would think it should have? It was years ago though!

Great thread BTW :)

Rich_Rocco

Post by Rich_Rocco »

thanks for the kind words mate :)

as far as i know the storms came with front and rear ARBs from the factory. i could be wrong though
mine was fitted when i bought the car.

Rich_Rocco

Post by Rich_Rocco »

got me a G60 rocker cover for when i tidy up the engine bay.

the "details" on it were red when it arrived so i replaced it with black and shined it up a bit

I'll be using the more "retro" metal oil cap from the original rocker cover instead of the plastic one.

/uninteresting update

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

Storms were all GLI's re-badged, GLI's and GTI's were all fitted with front and rear ARBs at factory.

Rich_Rocco

Post by Rich_Rocco »

time for an update!

managed to get a replacement vdo clock for the centre console,
got a rear foglight and oem switch and wired it in.
also got a new front indicator lense for passenger side as the old one was cracked and chipped,
got a set of the correct inertia reel rear lapbelts as the 3 points would have meant modifications to fit,
got a toad/sterling pro CL alarm/immobiliser (getting a professional so that the car doesnt set on fire like my mk2 did)
and got a new set of tyres ready for MOT.

All of the prep work is done on the body and the car is pretty much all in primer

theres been a change of plan regarding the paint however.

I know, I know youre all screaming "DONT RATTLE CAN IT!!"

I'm still a bit dubious about going down the rattle can matte route myself but its come to the point where I just need the car on the road and the car needs a layer of protection after I've painstakingly chased all the rust goblins away but, unfortunately, I cant afford to have it done properly right now.

I've done the prep to a pretty high standard (for an amateur anyway) and will continue to do so throughout the paint process. All panels that can be sprayed separate to the shell, will be. So hopefully it wont look too horrible.

I'm consoling myself with the fact that It's going to look far better than the state the car was in anyway and It's only until next spring when I'll be getting it painted professionally.

....and the more I look at the colour the more I think "this could actually look decent"

so yeah... Fingers crossed.

I'll try to get as many pics as I can during painting.

I'm also toying with the idea of some white decals along the sills, similar to the mk1 golf campaign ones
A thick stripe and a thin stripe and maybe a vw logo at the end of the stripes next to the rear arch if that makes sense?
white on dark green always looks pretty good.

i'll photoshop some stuff beforehand just incase it looks terrible.

so anyway... It begins

Drivers side wing off ready to paint.

thankfully only found surface rust and dirt on the inner wing structure
the wing panel itself is immaculate :D

i'll be painting the wing tomorrow hopefully and i'll tidy up the inner wing then put a good layer of waxoil in there then its onto the passenger side. hopefully it will be as tidy as the drivers side.

Hoping to have the car on the road ready for mighty dub fest on the 14th.

wish me luck.