1982 1.5 CL Auto

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
The Milkman
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: 1982 1.5 CL Auto

Post by The Milkman »

Well, she finally got a run out for the first time this year,for the MOT. Sailed through, but am seriously considering selling the old girl. She doesn't get enough use and seems to be a waste leaving her sitting on the driveway. Only 231 miles since the last MOT, less than 1500 miles since I bought her just over 4 years ago :-(

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

catch 22 with these things. i think you would regret selling it and it isnt really costing you much if you dont use it so i would keep it.
the amount of work you have done to it andcomfort in the knowledge its solid would you really want to have to go through it all again if you sold yours and later bought another rocco riddled with problems?
ive done 300 odd miles in my datsun since i bought it 3 years ago and has cost me a blooming fortune, but on those few days in the sun with the 6 pot pumping a tune i wouldn't change it for the world!
the twisty country lanes is what does it for me with the rocco, so much fun! i dont drive it anywhere near as often as i used to but when i do get the opportunity it always puts a smile on my face, something no modern car does for me.
as allways its a personal decision whether to sell up or not but i dont think i could do it.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Only a few years to go till it's tax and MOT free.......

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Very few people put worthwhile mileages on these cars any more (me included, sadly) so I doubt anyone else would use it more than you. I'd only sell if you can't justify the expense of keeping it.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Or Summers here, just use it as your daily and keep the mileage off what every car you use every day?

Don't worry Mk2 Scirocco's don't shrink when they get wet. :-D

Membership No. 323
moser

Post by moser »

I'd echo what james said. Sometimes it seems a waste of driveway space for some thing you rarly drive, but those few sunny days when you take it out make it all worth it.

No harm in using them daily. even once a week will strech the old girls legs and put a smile on your face.

91 Scirocco Scala - Too low for MOT ramps apparently
03 Seat Cordoba PD130 - Daily
52 Golf 1.6 - Mrs' shopping trolley
The Milkman

Post by The Milkman »

All very true, cheers guys. I can't really use her for my daily at the minute as I'm working a fair distance from home and get a hire care to use, that's not likely to change until after the summer.
It doesn't help that she sits on the driveway under a breathable cover, keeps the weather off but still gets a bit grimy, so whenever I do go to use her she needs washing and leathering. And jump starting as she's not getting enough use, so it always seems like a palava to bother going out. And for once I also really love my daily so it's the easy option to just jump in and use.
I normally take the Scirocco to Volksworld every year, longest journey she does, but this year the wife and kids wanted to come with me. It doesn't bother me driving a car that may not make the destination or may have issues on the way but when the family are there it doesn't interest me, just has grief written all over it (never has broken down,touch wood, so crap excuse but is what normally sways me)

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Good new battery and disconnect the earth from the battery will help stop draining the battery, I'm sure it will make it to show, they are pretty reliable cars, my wifes newer VW's cars always seem to break down more (usually some sensor goes wrong!!) than my old Mk1 Scirocco or my daily drive, Mk1 Golf (50 mile commute to work each day).

I can understand why you do want to sell as cars don't like just sitting there for long periods of time especially outside.

What ever you decide you have done a cracking job on the "old girl" and I'm sure you will have no problem selling it as it looks sooooo good. :ok:

Membership No. 323
The Milkman

Post by The Milkman »

Cheers dude