1978 Scirocco GLS

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: My 1978 GLS

Post by the edmundator »

Lovely to see it being used. If only we were all that brave.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

The Golf is back on the road, new front windscreen and a new MOT so it's back in daily action and the Scirocco is back in the garage having a little rest. 250 miles a week for 4 months to and from work, a trip to see Mr Funk on the other side of the country and 3 trips to wales and the Scirocco did well.

Only a couple of small problems, the rear wiper stopped working, it seems the nut has come lose joining the motor to the mechanism and the clock has stopped working, power at the leads so the internal fuse has blown in the clock but the problem is getting into it and the fuse is made from low heat solder so having trouble find some at the right rating solder, I googled a repair guide and a couple of sites out there will info.

The new front Meyle top mounts I fitted when changing over the springs and shocks have not lasted very well, there is a massive gap between the metal and rubber and a knocking noise over rough ground so not pleased with them???

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
james butler

Post by james butler »

mark1gls wrote:The new front Meyle top mounts I fitted when changing over the springs and shocks have not lasted very well, there is a massive gap between the metal and rubber and a knocking noise over rough ground so not pleased with them???
meyle top mounts are naff, i stick to using the febi bilstein ones and theyre only marginally better.
what i found helped was to put some rubber matting between the top mount and the flitch to her absorb the bumps endured by the top mount.
if you have lowered the suspension also check your not riding the bump stops as that will quickly ruin the top mount too when the suspension hits/rides the bump stops.
this was the reason i made my spring caps 20mm bigger so i would get a bit more shock travel because the eibach spring kit i fitted allows the shocks to bottom out and rides the bump stops.

car looks marvellous though :ok:

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
mark1gls

Re: 1978 Scirocco GLS

Post by mark1gls »

I've not had much time to drive the car lately but I've done a couple of jobs,
Rear wiper not working, yes the centre hut had fell of the motor so the arm moving the wiper was not attached. I'd forgotten how tricky it is to get a rear wiper motor and mechanisms out of such a small hole in the boot lid.
I've worked out why I have no side lights when the upgraded loom is fitted, I ran the wire around the battery and it was resting on the engine mount where it slowly rubbed its way through the tape, plastic cover over the wire and the wire had earthed it self on the metal engine mount causing the fuse to blow. I've now cut the bad bit out of the wire and going to solder the joint back together.
Cam belt needs changing.
Oil leak from fuel pump to block needs fixing.
Oil change needed.
Clean and wash the car and ready for this nice weather we are having.

Pictures to follow.

Membership No. 323
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Stone chip in windscreen from drive up to Nationals, overtaking a empty low loader lorry on M5 with mud and rocks left on his deck!

Not sure if it's an MOT fail or repairable?

Some pics from day out to Sherborne Castle with the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Membership No. 323
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

crack on passenger side?

I've had that a couple of times Mark = sorted wth one of those DIY syringe type kits.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

No crack is drivers side, about 5 cm from straight in front of me so when driving it's on the white line in the middle of the road, as you can see the edges of the crack are only just inside the £1 coin.

Membership No. 323
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Car still out and being used daily, I've check with the place that does my MOT and the stone chip is an MOT fail but only just so I'll be looking to fit a new screen before July next year as that's when the MOT is due, lucky it's not got any bigger since it happened.
Still not happy with how high the car is at the front even with the Eibach Lowering Springs, Bilstein Gas Shocks fitted I've still got 60mm between the top of tyre and wheel arch.
Some one mentioned the struts on the GLS Scirocco can be slightly higher than later struts, I've got about 22.5 cm between the base of the strut and the bottom of the cup which holds the spring, any one got a strut hanging around to measure the gap?

Or perhaps the Mk1 golf kit is different from the Mk1 scirocco?
Kit I bought.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eibach-Loweri ... 1605051979

Been thinking about strut risers but they won't work as there is not enough clearance under the bonnet....
See my thread here.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.ph ... ers-height

I've been thinking coil overs but I can't really afford the £600 to £1000 price tag for a good set and not sure I can justify the price for just the way the car looks?

Maybe I could lower the car the old fashioned way, bricks in the scuttle area and slabs in the boot! :-D

Membership No. 323
james butler

Post by james butler »

mark1gls wrote:car looks?

Maybe I could lower the car the old fashioned way, bricks in the scuttle area and slabs in the boot! :-D
big bottles of water work better then you can empty them out after a show so your not weighed down all the time ;-)

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Provided they're bright silver, or polished, I think larger diameter rims would give the illusion of the car being lower. Not necessarily any cheaper, mind.

This one is on Koni adjustables and Eibach lowering springs, the rims are 15":

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
mark1gls

1978 Scirocco GLS

Post by mark1gls »

Managed to find some free time to work on the Mk1 this week, fitted the new lower front spring caps to lower the front a little, still got to set up the camber angle but I was pretty close when just guessing where it should be, 1/2 degree 1 side and 1 degree the other side so only 1 side to adjust a little and jobs done.

The car is about 15mm lower than before but I would still like just a little lower but that will have to wait. Easy to fit the new cups the only problem I did have was the hole for the shock was very tight so I had to file them a little bigger, I guess it’s the thickness of the paint which caused the problem.

I took it out for a good run before I started the work as it’s not moved much over the last couple of months.

Jobs still to do, oil and filter change, sort out stone chip in windscreen I may remove the old screen my self as it’s got the metal chrome trim and I’m not sure if I trust a window fitted with it as it’s in good nick, I want to check for any rust etc behind the rubber seal, when the car was resprayed 9 years ago the body shop did have to repair a hole and used fibre glass to fill it so I want to check what they have done there is no sign of any rust but you never know with a Mk1 ...

Pictures, as you can see they are smaller than the original ones but I found the top of the spring sits happier on the new ones as the spring could move about in the old ones.
Once a get the car out the garage I’ll get a picture of the finished height of the car.

Cheap way of lowering the front and they do seem good quality, £28.50 for the pair delivered from the USA and they only took a few days to arrive in the post.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lowering-Spr ... %7Ciid%3A1

Old cap

New cap

Membership No. 323
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

About time I update this...

The car has had alot of use over the past year as I thought I must use it more and enjoy it. It's not missed a beat or let me down, the only couple of problems I've had is another stone chip on the windscreen and I nail in a tyre but that was fixable.

Now the car is classed as "a Historic vehicle" I've gone for some black number plates and fitted the new/second hand front bumper as mine was bent in the middle, the replacement front bumper which was painted black turned out to be brown once I got rid of the flaky paint so I had to reuse my plastic cover.

The paint has started to micro blister which is rather annoying but it was painted 11 years ago for not alot of money... So saving up for another paint job.

Other than an oil change and a service the cars just been used and enjoyed.

Anyway pictures......

Membership No. 323
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

On holiday with the car.

Stanford Hall 2019

Classics at the Castle, Sherborne 2019

Goodwood revival 2019

Cracked windscreen

Minus the bumper..

Rear number plate fitted

Test fit bumper

Finished.. it is straight, the sun/shadow makes it look funny

Membership No. 323
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Paint bubbles... :-(

Membership No. 323
scrumpyone

Post by scrumpyone »

Top man Mark.

Dave

Register No:1110
'79 MK1 GLS (R.I.P.)
'91 MK2 GT2 (alive & kicking)