Blast from the past - Marmite

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
steve bain

Re: Blast from the past - Marmite

Post by steve bain »

I think i'm going to ultimate dubs in telford and the other one that's u that way with the club. Probably go to Bristol volksfest too. Dunno really. I would like to go to a few!

So I'm 55 miles in and all is good. Only thing is coolant temp doesn't come up very high. The fan kicked in though so I've ordered a new temp sensor as I think it's that. If that doesn't help I'll get a thermostat. Bit of arch scrubbage so a bit more trimming required and so far that's it. Not bad for a car that was last on the road 6 years ago and has been taken to bits!

My build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14083
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

so a few more miles under my belt and a few bits and bobs have been done. I have purchased a c-tek conditioning charger which is very nice and gives me piece of mind that the car has as much battery power as possible everytime i use it!

cd's don't play hardly at all due to skipping as suspension is so stiff!! i have found my ipod now so all is good again.

i ordered a temp sensor and they sent me a wing mirror so still working on that! it now reads nothing at all, but engine comes up to temp fine, doesn't overheat etc.

a small coolant puddle in the garage which i need to investigate. i have ordered a new blue coolant cap as i have a feeling thats the issue. no idea why, just a gut feeling! but may be a clamp needs nipping up.

arches need even more trimming....

speedo doesn't work, then at the first stop starts working fine again. i think the connection in the back of the speedo may be a bit loose or need a new cable. tempted just to replace whole thing.

My dash lights on speedo side turned off this morning, then on again. so probably just a wobbly bulb.

heater controls not lit up, again new bulbs ordered and hopefully the cable has just dropped off or bulb has gone.

i think i would like to replace my acc cable as sometimes it acts a bit funny and gets stuck at 1500rpm. no idea what length i need though!

at the mot they pretty much pointed the headlights at the floor to

I love driving her so much!!

i think for recommissioning a car which has been off the road for 6 years and undergone so much work thats not too bad!!

My build thread:
Bill
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Bill »

Brilliant job the finished look is great, you have done a superb job.

Risocco

Post by Risocco »

Looks terrific dude, seriously well done

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

Fitted the new temp sensor and it worked a treat. also fitted a new bulb to heater controls and that's good too. It's been back to the body shop and all blemishes are sorted. Also fixed the small coolant leak. The accelerator seems fine now. So just the Speedo to fix and I think we're good.

Onto the detailing...

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

So I drove to a local retro rides meet tonight and realised my headlight only light up the 3m in front of me before the beam pattern. I don't care what the mot says, I've adjusted them so they have the same beam pattern as every other car I drive. It is now far better and no one has flashed me so must be fine.

Also on the back on milkmans project I decided to add a switched live to the stereo. I used the heater cable too and it took all of 20 min or so. Also relocated the internal amplified Ariel to get better signal too.

Tidied a couple of other bits, so just the Speedo to fix now and get cleaning....

Also get the tracking done.

Damn I love driving it!

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

I have been busy as hell getting the car ready for Ultimate Dubs but its starting to look good now.

Lots and lots of cleaning what looks like an immaculate car already! I have spent 3 evenings on the black body trim and interior so far and plan to wash and polish over the next couple of weekends.

I bought a karcher snow foam gun thingy from halfords for £12! It was £25 in store but they 'price match' their own online prices. Very odd if you ask me! and some foam to use with the pressure washer and it seems to work well. I think it will be even better once the car has been polished and waxed and making the dirt slide off. It was dark so only tested it out.

I also bought this to add to my already too big collection of cleaning products and it really is good value for money. There are a few new products in there i haven't used before which i quite like but only time will tell how they last.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262060979332? ... EBIDX%3AIT

I've been busy with the cotton buds and she's starting to look good. Over the next two weekends i plan to start on the paintwork. 3 coats of machine applied Autoglym Super Resin polish, 3 coats of hand applied Autoglym Extra High Gloss Protection, finished with a couple of coats Faecla G3 Super Gloss - although i didn't get it from halfords. (http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cl ... e-wax-200g).

I have also ordered some cerium oxide to machine apply to the glass to remove any slight scratches.

Then redetail all the rubbers, glass etc and we should be good to go.

Last night i also made up a little cover for the radiator. Its made from a same of kardean flooring from work and its bomb proof (so hopefully melt proof). I blunted 6 stanley blades cutting it!

before

after

Thats all for now and hopefully get you some pics once polished!

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

so i have polished the paintwork up. the car was wet sanded and machine cut and polished with 3G by the bodyshop. I have machine applied Autogylm Super Resin Polish, then hand applied the same, 2 coats of Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection and 1 coat of Farecla G3 Super Gloss Paste wax. I will do another one next weekend ready for Ultimate Dubs. I hope you agree that its pretty flat and shiny! the photos were taken in my garage on my phone so i can't wait to see it in the sun and get some pics with the DSLR!

My build thread:
mk2daz
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by mk2daz »

Looking really good Steve, can't wait to see the shine on the next photos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve bain

Post by steve bain »

cheers mate.

I mentioned before about my rear view mirror looking scruffy on the outside. the glue had kind gone brown

I spoke to numerous windscreen places about taking it off and regluing it on and no one would touch it. they said there was too big a risk that it had been stuck on with epoxy or something and didn't want risk smashing the windscreen. They would sell me a new windscreen though. typical.

My windscreen is not in the best condition and is fairly scratched. I recently polished it with cerium oxide which has helped but some are just too deep and it has hundreds of tiny chips so i will replace at some point in the future. So for now i have a £2 solution which is less techical...its not as big as it looks in this picture!

I also bought some bling dust caps as i am so gangsta.

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

just got a quote from National windscreens for a new green tinted windscreen. £89.10+vat, so about £106. bargain!!

My build thread:
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

That is a good price I paid £130 for a Mk1 Golf green tint windscreen just before Christmas and the Golf screen is smaller and I expect they sell more of those than Mk2 Scirocco.
Auto Glass quoted my £275 but they thought the windscreen was bonded in as I asked about the rubber seal, not sure they knew what they was talking about?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
BlackGTX
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by BlackGTX »

the rad cover looks tidy but is it going to stop the heat leaving the rad?

steve bain

Post by steve bain »

BlackGTX wrote:the rad cover looks tidy but is it going to stop the heat leaving the rad?
vw made a similar thing so it should be fine. we will find out in the summer! i have no side baffles either to direct air to the rad, but never had and its never been an issue. again, we'll find out...

My build thread:
Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Loving your work

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.