MOT Failure - hwat would YOU do?

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
teacher

MOT Failure - hwat would YOU do?

Post by teacher »

Sammy failed his MOT big style. The list is extensive, but involves welding to sills(outer), broken rear spring, knackered shock, brake pipes, fuel pipe (leaking), seats 'loose' (sic). The advisory lst is long too. Obvioiusly, the sills behind the kit might be v. ropey (no evidence mind(yet))and relay 61 for the carb is not good.

It was my daily until the MOT and so I've bought a newer daily.

So, what do you guys think? Break and sell, scrap and sod it or......store and slowly try to rescue? :dunno:

By the way, thanks for the indy offers but it's all gone pete tong. :shocking:

filmidget
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: MOT Failure - hwat would YOU do?

Post by filmidget »

How handy are you with the spanners? Nothing particularly alarming there except possibly the welding.

Advisories are just that - nothing of great concern (yet), just the tester covering themselves.

'82 GTI 'CagedRoc' - MG Midget - Volvo 850 T5 - Citroen C2 GT - Lilac Trailer Custodian
Current owned:roadworthy factor = 75% (personal record)
markh
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by markh »

Steve, you know I'm not too far from your place mate, I'd be happy to sort those jobs for you or give you a hand if you decide to get it back on the road.

Don't ask me....it was like that when i got here !
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

I bought a GTX for £100 last year and put it in for an MoT to see what happened. Mechanically it needed a few bits that I sorted out myself. It also needed a lot of welding to both inner and outer sills; I paid a local garage to do this for me. I think the total cost of getting it through the MoT (parts, welding, MoT x2) was about £600. You could go out and spend that on another Scirocco not knowing how much of that would need sorting again at the next MoT. Sometimes it makes sense to look after the one you've got, if you like it enough.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

if its just a bit on the sills needing welding its not a big job for anyone with a welder. arches would be a little harder but still not terminal. fuel pipes easy, suspension is easy. i would only get the garage to do the brakes. the seat probably just needs new plastic runners which is a 5 min job.

wiredsubzero

Post by wiredsubzero »

i would keep it but i like to hoard things :good:

stu.gtx

Post by stu.gtx »

It all depends how much you like your car and how deep your pockets are. Bear in mind that if you take the bodykit off for any welding you may find more rust under there. Ideally I'd like to take the bodykit off mine to check for rust but I'm too scared after seeing Mark H's project dare thread.
Last edited by stu.gtx on Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markh
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by markh »

Go on Stu, just do it mate !!! :hugegrin:

Don't ask me....it was like that when i got here !
Boumsong

Post by Boumsong »

Sell it to me! :P

Orrrrr pull yerrr finger out and get on with it!
I don't know why everyone worries so much about pulling the body kit off, pulled mine off and the arches and metal work is perfect, not even a single rust bubble!

2k Painter and Powdercoater
Nate

Post by Nate »

filmidget wrote:Advisories are just that - nothing of great concern (yet), just the tester covering themselves.
i thought advisories were things that, whilst serviceable now, are likely to need attention before the next test or service. i'm sure there aren't any testers that would abuse this system to cover their own arse :whistle:

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3