Bonnet Query (Filmidget)

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Slugga
fill in the right answer: 10

Bonnet Query (Filmidget)

Post by Slugga »

The other thread was locked but this interested me....

Did you attack this yourself? Angle grinder? I had thought about doing this but thought I'd end up going through the top skin.

filmidget

Re: Bonnet Query (Filmidget)

Post by filmidget »

Doh! Meant to unlock the thread as a bit of discussion on bonnet weights might be useful... ah well.

Didn't do it myself, it came on a track prep'ed car bought to break.

Anybody weigh a standard bonnet?

Perhaps further cutting could get the bonnet down to 8kg (on bonnet pins)... Now even if the carbon bonnets came out to 3kg the saving will (obviously) only be 5kg. Not sure if it's worth it? Assuming the GRP will be a little heavier, still not sure it's worth it despite the GRP being cheaper.

'82 GTI 'CagedRoc' - MG Midget - Volvo 850 T5 - Citroen C2 GT - Lilac Trailer Custodian
Current owned:roadworthy factor = 75% (personal record)
Slugga

Post by Slugga »

I will weigh my bonnet over the weekend.

Yep, I think the weight saving won't be worth the cost. A cut down bonnet like yours on bonnet pins will do the job for me and probably still be a better fit.

Thanks for the idea :)

Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Was that from the 16v GTX we had?

filmidget

Post by filmidget »

Yup.

Unfortunately there is a significant 'ding' in the leading edge.

'82 GTI 'CagedRoc' - MG Midget - Volvo 850 T5 - Citroen C2 GT - Lilac Trailer Custodian
The Autoad

Post by The Autoad »

I'd like to make it clear that it wasn't a 'GTX 16v' (one of the official 10) but a mk2 Golf engine stuffed into an 8v GTX. phew... :bye:

Your friendly neighbourhood Scirocco restorer for hire
Boumsong

Post by Boumsong »

I'd be tempted to cut away that second skin from around the edge as well...Hell..Get the engine bay looking nice then cut a massive hole right through the bonnet then rivet a sheet of plastic over the top..super light weight then.

filmidget

Post by filmidget »

The Autoad wrote:I'd like to make it clear that it wasn't a 'GTX 16v' (one of the official 10) but a mk2 Golf engine stuffed into an 8v GTX. phew... :bye:
Absolutely! It's not like we'd scrap perfectly saveable Mk1 and Mk2 shells in a crisis of cars, ability and storage space. Oh, hold on... :scratch: :crying:

Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

I think people would have known if we had a genuine 16v Ant lol How big can we make the letters go on this forum? :swoon:

Junglist

Post by Junglist »

What's the best method for making my bonnet like that trimmed back lightweight one at the top of the thread, then? Angle grinder?

Oh, and is it's newfound weakness likely to cause any problems after time? Or will it be fine as long as no-one sits on it!?

Tornado GTII: Koni, Flo-flex, Girling, Weber, K&N, Powerflow, Goodridge, ASA, Yokohama... to fit: stainless 4 branch.
ImageImage
roccodave

Post by roccodave »

a freind of mine took all of the strengthening bars off of a polo one and fitted bonnet pins
doing 40mph down the road the middle of the bonnet would flap about and lift about 4inches in the middle
the drag created probably far outweighed the advantage of the weight saving

Junglist

Post by Junglist »

What about replacing it with a cross shape of thin-ish sheet metal (1 or 2mm thick) perhaps an inch or so wide, spot welded perpendicular to the bonnet in place of the strengthening bars like a big 'X' but much smaller and lighter? Obviously not AS strong, but might do the trick. Or is that totally stupid? :dunno:

Tornado GTII: Koni, Flo-flex, Girling, Weber, K&N, Powerflow, Goodridge, ASA, Yokohama... to fit: stainless 4 branch.
ImageImage
filmidget

Post by filmidget »

roccodave wrote:a freind of mine took all of the strengthening bars off of a polo one and fitted bonnet pins
doing 40mph down the road the middle of the bonnet would flap about and lift about 4inches in the middle
the drag created probably far outweighed the advantage of the weight saving
Like this i guess?

(piccy lifted from a threaad on RetroRides)

Although I imagine that could also be a very light weight grp job.

I think is you are careful with what you remove, a bit of weight could be lost from a standard steel bonnet without it turning into a flappy mess ie keep the bracing on the leading edge. Only worth doing if you have taken steps to remove weight obvious from elsewhere first though, like race seats, stripped interior, polycarb windows, etc etc.

Can't see removing the original bracing and then trying to put back a thinner version being very effective/efficient, and would probably end up with a warped panel anyway...

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Dear God.
That car looks fantastic!

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
filmidget

Post by filmidget »

Sir! Are you not familiar with 'Berg Cup'? Or even 'youngtimer'?

If not, head for Google and you are in for a treat.