1.8t scirocco

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
nye

1.8t scirocco

Post by nye »

im looking at putting an agu into my gt2 and just wondering how much performance gains this will have over my daily driver mk4 gti 1.8t? i dont want to run the scirocco stripped as it will become my daily instead of the golf and im starting to think there wont be as much performance gains after all lol, anyone running a 1.8t who can tell me otherwise :hugegrin:

Slugga
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: 1.8t scirocco

Post by Slugga »

Even non stripped the scirocco will weigh half what a mk4 golf does so your power to weight ratio will double.

It would be incredibly quick. :hugegrin:

nye

Post by nye »

well thats what i thought until looking on google at mk2 weights( i know not reliable but just an estimate) says over a ton and im sure the golf will only weigh about 1400kgs so by the time i add newer interior and dash il only be saving 200kgs which i no is alot but not as much as i imagined, i mite be completely out with my figures think i might just be a pessimitic (sp) lol, anyway all it means is il need more power :hugegrin:

filmidget

Post by filmidget »

Claimed figures are more like 930kg for an injection Rocco I think?

Even allowing for heavier engine ancillaries and gearbox setup, and heavier interior (why?) should be less then 1100kg?

Is the AGU 180bhp?

180/1.4 = 128bhp/tonne
180/1.1 = 164bhp/tonne

Putting another way, the Golf would have to gain 50bhp to 'match' the AGU-engined Rocco. There are a lot easier ways to find that than putting the engine into the Rocco shell... However given choice between a 230bhp Mk4 Golf and a 180bhp Scirocco I know which I would rather have!

'82 GTI 'CagedRoc' - MG Midget - Volvo 850 T5 - Citroen C2 GT - Lilac Trailer Custodian
Current owned:roadworthy factor = 75% (personal record)
Boumsong

Post by Boumsong »

If your going to the trouble on converting to that sort of engine...Why not fit a bigger turbo at the same time?

2k Painter and Powdercoater
nye

Post by nye »

the reason im doin it is ive got a spare agu engine ( 150bhp) with gearbox and ecu so in theory only need the wiring loom to make it work, i like the golf but not as fun to drive as the scirocco plus sciroccos engine has oil pressure prob so im left with 1 rocco shell + agu so would be rude not to!! as for interior with it being a daily driver i want most of the comforts iv got in the golf minus the a/c plus to update it abit, im also replacing all bushes as not in any rush as got the golf so might as well go the whole hog, im tempted to fit the bigger ko4 turbo but want to know if i could fit this aswell as injectors and then run it on standard ecu so can drive it to get it remapped if that makes sense.

The Autoad

Post by The Autoad »

would be rude not to if the 1.8T is just 'lying around'. Best spannering trousers on squire!

Your friendly neighbourhood Scirocco restorer for hire
nye

Post by nye »

well its out of the golf as needs the crankshaft regrounding/replacing, very tempted to add a bigger turbo whilst im at it but can the oem ecu cope? plus is there any turbos cheaper than ko4s that can be used as ild be more than happy with 250bhp anymore i would struggle alot more to get the power down as much and dont want to be spinning it up at every junction!! iv completely stripped the rocco of the interior and will start a build thread once iv done enough work to worrant one!

Chaps

Post by Chaps »

I have the APX 1.8T engine fitted in my rocco, its the 225bhp version and its great. I really like the way they put the power down. Mine was running about 270bhp but still its a superb engine even in the 150-180bhp versions.

I dont think you can just "use" the standard OEM ECU tho even if your leaving it on the K03 turbo, you either need to de-code the ECU or get a mappable ECU as there is something to do with the Immobilser in the Clocks?? I cant remember exactly what it is but there is an issue with it. I'm running the Qpeng MBE ECU which solves all that trouble which is pretty standard now for 1.8T installs.

i think and you can re-map the engines with a K03 turbo to about 200bhp with a decent intercooler/exhaust system. But you'll need quite a few bits n bobs if your putting a K04 on it, not just a turbo and injectors.

1991 Wide Arched Rieger Scirocco.....

Good things come to those who wait!!!!
nye

Post by nye »

ill be using the majority of the wiring loom aswell as the clocks and ignition halo so wont need the ecu defeating. what else is needed then to run the ko4 as im only aware of needing the turbo injectors and a fuel presure regulator??? did you do the conversion yourself??? any info on it would be great.

Rocco Ben

Post by Rocco Ben »

id love to see a build thread on this when you get to it mate :D
oh and apparently (acording to carfolio) the scirocco GT of 1982 onwards was 927KG and the scala was 920KG ?? carfolio is american if they were any different?
i would have thought you'd be getting about 180bhp per ton out of the 150break model engine :hugegrin:

p.s. there is a great uprated ECU for the 150break engines put the power up to 200break :beers: it from 'qpeng'

nye

Post by nye »

might settle for 150 to start with until its running then see if any more power is needed. just it would make sense to get manifold and downpipe sorted for new turbo as the downpipes the only part im really planning on not doing myself along with remap obviously. if get any time next week will take some pics as it is now and hopefully will have engine out in next couple of weeks just a pain working between this my job and my golf!

Chaps

Post by Chaps »

I did not fit it myself no, i bought the car with the engine in.
I had abit of browse through some other threads 4 some info 4 you. Apparently the TT/S3 225 injectors are too short for the AGU inlet manifold, so the injector seat needs to be cut down, and the fuel rail moved if you want to use these.. or you can buy 440cc delphi's from intengineering and I beleive these fit and have the correct spray pattern etc.

There is alot of info on this page.. and i'd definately recommend reading through some posts on this site for any more advise about doing something like this.
http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150771

Basically you'll need:
K04-020/022/023 turbo...
K04 Exhaust Manifold
New Oil and Water turbo feed lines
440cc injectors or modify TT225/S3 injectors and the Fuel Rail
Turbo intake pipe to suit - ideally a Forge Silicon unit
re-plum the boost hoses as the 2 turbos compressor housing is different
Get a decent Front Mounted intercooler
Fuel Pressure Reg.
Uprated Re-circulating Dump valve.
Mappable ECU..

Quite abit really, i'd say stick with the K03, and remap to 190ish bhp... Hope this helps

nye

Post by nye »

yes, better of getting it all running and spending the money on that rather than a bigger turbo, cheers for the link mate, is it an easy car to live with? is there any other major issues when fitting the engine that you know of? but most of all would you say its worth the money, time and effort???

Chaps

Post by Chaps »

I'd say the car is good yes, its a stong reliable engine and always gives you that nice turbo feeling :yahoo: I guess it depends how much you can do yourself as to if its worth it or not? Personally, i wouldnt do it with just a 150bhp engine. I didnt fit it but from looking at it, its quite tight. This is a pic of it in my engine bay.

As you've got the engine and box, thats your main costs sorted. Thats only the start of it, you'd prob end up spending a few hundred quid more gettin it in and running...I saw on Club GTI the other day, there was a chap advertising everything you got for £1200, you'd get a great 16v engine to prob 180bhp and have change left if u sold it all?