quarter vent fitting rubber to the glass

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Jerry Atric
fill in the right answer: 15

quarter vent fitting rubber to the glass

Post by Jerry Atric »

Any good tips on how to get the rubber trim around the glass ?

It obviously is a tight fit , but so far have failed to come close to getting the rubber in place around the small triangular quarter vent glass.

Short of using brute force.....but very wary as don't want to break either the glass or the rubber trim surround.

Any ideas , help appreciated .

Thanks.

GT_II

Re: quarter vent fitting rubber to the glass

Post by GT_II »

I'm guessing the rubber has hardened over the years making the job difficult. I don't have specific experience of this particular fitment, but for tight fitting rubber, careful lubrication of the rubber slot with silicone grease should help the glass to slide and seat correctly. Logic would suggest starting with the sharpest angle at the top, then moving to the next sharpest at the front corner and finishing at the rear.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
whiteshark
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by whiteshark »

Do you mean the triangular glass section in the door?
Sounds daft, but try fairy liquid. Makes it a real slippy job, and make sure you have some rubber gloves and a lot of patience.
Then used some plastic bicycle tyre removing tools to ply open the rubber and slot the glass in. How did the glass get out of the rubber in the first place?? If it was me and I had to do this again, I would just buy a second hand glass with the rubber already on.

Jerry Atric

Post by Jerry Atric »

Thanks guys for the advice, had already tried the fairy liquid and indeed it was slippery ; also tried a number of different ways of getting the rubber around the glass starting from every corner of the triangular glass. Last night had a chat to a good mate who has more than a few Sciroccos and he suggested getting the rubber as warm as possible....then stretch.....
Filled the sink with very hot water, just off the boil .....a load of crud appeared to then float out of the rubber gaps , despite my earlier attempts to clean the slots as well as possible. Then started with the forward corner, which is the thickest part of the rubber and then slid the other two side in until i was left with top pointy corner . Rubber there is thin on both sides but with a very strong tug , managed to pull the rubber over that corner so all is well.

Why did I do it ? Because when changing the door I had to take the glass out of the old door and the triangle window was REALLY stuck into the door frame , so much so that I cut the rubber to get the glass out , then was lucky enough to find someone selling just the rubber surround.

Long spiel , but just in case it helps someone else in the future to re-fit the rubber.....

Jeffb

Post by Jeffb »

Experience from fitting glass in my T2 van is to use talcum power as they did in the factory.