Speaker connection question before I start soldering!

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
kidcrewbob
fill in the right answer: 15

Speaker connection question before I start soldering!

Post by kidcrewbob »

Got a set of 4 JBL 6420 speakers to replace the original Blaupunkt setup which have disintergrated over the last 30 years ! They fit perfectly once the plastic surround has been removed. So, the old speakers are connected via the original t-block to a plug that is fixed to a spade and each side soldered to 2 fine wires that head off to the cone. I want to reuse these if possible as it makes life simple BUT I don't know which way round I need to connect to the new speaker - here's a pic.

Theres a large and small spade - question is which wire coming into the t-block would go with which spade??? Here are the old speakers with the receptor I want to reuse.

and here is the cabling feeding the t-block

Any help appreciated - TIA
Bob

GT_II

Re: Speaker connection question before I start soldering!

Post by GT_II »

Good to know you've found speakers that fit.

The brown/blue wire is earth (-ve) so that will connect to the terminal marked "-" which is the narrow spade. The wires for the other speakers are coloured differently, but the earth (-ve) wires all include brown.
Last edited by GT_II on Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
kidcrewbob

Re: Speaker connection question before I start soldering!

Post by kidcrewbob »

Brill - many thanks GT - thats exactly what I needed to confirm - so looking at it as a T shape, the horizontal spade of the connector is -ve and the vertical +ve - for anyone interested, the stock wiring is as follows:-

O/S Front - Red(V) / Brown&White (H)
N/S Front - Blue (V) / Brown&Blue (H)
O/S Rear - Red&Green(V) / Brown&Black (H)
N/S Rear - Green&Blue (V) / Brown&Red (H)

Soldering iron at the ready!