Original Radio

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
pzscala
fill in the right answer: 15

Original Radio

Post by pzscala »

Hi all,

Just bought a 92 Scala and trying to track down an original radio for it (think it is the Heidelberg unit but correct me if I’m wrong!)

Do these pop up often on eBay or is there a better place to look? And how much should I expect to pay for one?

Thanks!

WreckTangle

Re: Original Radio

Post by WreckTangle »

I think a variety of radios were fitted, mostly Blaupunkt or Panasonic. I tried for a while to get a suitable vintage Blaupunkt and what I found was that anything known to be fully working commanded a very high price on eBay in a market dominated by a small number of commercial sellers. I tried a cheap one from a private seller but it didn’t work and I couldn’t get it to work despite being fairly adept at electronics. In the end I plumped for the reissued Blaupunkt Bremen SQR46 DAB. Although this unit is expensive it looks reasonably correct and has some useful modern features such as Bluetooth. I thought I could easily spend the same amount acquiring a succession of genuine vintage units in my search for a working one.

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

If it's a UK spec Scala (I assume '91 model year as the Scala was dropped for '92), according to the brochure spec sheet, the standard radio would indeed have been a Blaupunkt - the exact version isn't specified. The GT II came with a Panasonic. See here:

http://www.driversfound.com/scirocco/hi ... k1991c.htm

At that time, radios for VW cars sold in the UK were dealer fitted before delivery, I am pretty sure alongside a choice of upgrade options, although notably excluding VW's own alpha/beta/gamma/delta branded range popular elsewhere in Europe.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
pzscala

Post by pzscala »

Thanks, it’s a J reg but I assume it must’ve been sat for a while before it was registered. I’ll keep an eye out for one then but I won’t pin any hopes on it!

GTXGTXGTX

Post by GTXGTXGTX »

I just replaced the Blaupunkt Atlanta in my GTX. EBay 80 quid. Needed a good clean but works fine. They pop up now and then at reasonable prices.

RussGLAuto

Post by RussGLAuto »

Have a look at this link, but make sure you're sitting down first...

https://www.chromelondon.com/audio-for- ... n-60-c.asp

I paid £250 notes for my Blaupunkt London MR21 off e-bay from a bloke in Latvia would you believe. Works a treat though and very period correct for 82.

Daily Driver - 2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Twin Engine - Polestar - Arctic White
Weekend Wagon - 51k 1982 Mk2 Scirocco 1.6 GL Auto - Diamond Silver
Other Half's Wagon - 2018 Mk7.5 Golf GT TSi Auto - White
Daughters Curb Scraper - 2016 Fiat 500 1.2 - White