Info. Supercharging 1.8 8 Valve EX engine (mk2 Scirocco)

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Hyde
fill in the right answer: 15

Info. Supercharging 1.8 8 Valve EX engine (mk2 Scirocco)

Post by Hyde »

Hello.
I'm a mk2 scirocco owner from North Wales.

I'm restoring a mk2 scirocco on a budget. I have rebuilt the engine, currently porting the cylinder head. Fitted a 6 speed gearbox that i got off of a mk5 golf. Fitted a new fuel tank, all new rear bushes. (Haven't ordered any parts for the front running gear yet). Also waiting on a suspension kit to arrive.
Had to make my own clutch pedal due to the 6 speed is hydraulic and the original gearbox worked on cable clutch. I was lucky to find that when i bought the car i found a sealed box in the boot. It was a new Weber carburettor.(Not sure which type, haven't looked at it much considering I'm concentrating on porting the head at the moment). I've been thinking of converting it to fuel injection mainly so i can then in future go down the route of turbocharging the engine, But i was thinking maybe keeping the engine as is and fitting a supercharger would be a much faster process and also i can use the Weber i found in the boot. Seems a waste to not use it considering its worth is more than i paid for the car.
Has anyone supercharged an engine similar to this one before?
What supercharger did you use? etc.
If anyone has any info on the topic it would be much appreciated.
Thank you for reading.

Hyde

essextom
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Info. Supercharging 1.8 8 Valve EX engine (mk2 Scirocco)

Post by essextom »

there were a few supercharged kits available for the dx engine, not seen anyone fit one on a carb engine. few videos of mk3 golf agg engines on you tube which have been supercharged.

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

it would be more cost effective to go down the 1.8t route from a later audi or vw.
however supercharging the engine isn't impossible as it was done years ago using the weber carb before the charger.
timing might be an issue but worth trawling the internet for research and guides.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Hyde

Post by Hyde »

Thanks for your reply James. Yes that's what i was told as well. Making it work isn't really a problem I'm not worried about that, i was just wondering if anyone had any superchargers to recommend using for this engine. Also the 1.8T might not be cost effective considering I'd have to pay maybe £800 to £1000 for a MK4 golf GTI before starting.

big_wig_074

Post by big_wig_074 »

Get a supercharger from a Merc c230 or the like. Then use a speeduino ECU to control timing(it can retard the distributor ignition) and put the Weber on the inlet side of the charger. You'll need to sort some pulleys, a belt, and a mount for the charger, but if you're making your own hydro clutch set ups this isn't difficult. The later w203 Merc c230 is a 1.8, and runs approx 10 psi for 190bhp. Although it is 16v so you'll need more in all probability but the charger will flow it.