Manifold/cylinder head

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Roccomart
fill in the right answer: 15

Manifold/cylinder head

Post by Roccomart »

Hey rocco lovers new owner just joined the forum and having lots of hassle with my 1990 1.8 gt rocky, just bought the car as a project (lots of work and parts required) and although I know a fair bit of mech work,this is driving me nuts!!!! I am changing the head gasket,which looks totally blown, and have stripped the necessary hoses, cables, nuts and bolts I can find but I for, some weird, strange, unknown reason cannot part the intake/manifold from the head!!!!!! Most cars generally fall apart at this stage but this thing feels like it is almost welded on!!!!! Can anyone out there shed a light on this exasperating problem please!!!!! Thanks.... Martin

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Manifold/cylinder head

Post by mark1gls »

A little tap with a rubber mallet might help remove it?
There is a coolant channel from the manifold to the head which has a rubber seal, could be that has rotted away?
As long as all the bolts have been removed it should come off with a little help.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Roccomart

Post by Roccomart »

I have tried with a tap from a block of wood and rubber mallet to no avail and have removed 12 nuts and bolts which I can see and feel all around the intake and manifold so unless there are hidden nuts and bolts which I cannot see or feel I am stumped and every thought I have suggests there is such a thing hidden away somewhere 😳 Thanks for your kind input it's very much appreciated

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

6 bolts for the inlet manifold and 8 nuts for the exhaust manifold

Inlet manifold
https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/scir ... 129-37000/

Exhaust manifold
https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/scir ... 253-70000/

Maybe someone has removed it before and used some sort of sealant instead of the proper gasket?

FYI... get some new copper nuts for the exhaust manifold when you come to refit it as the old ones can easily round off when reused.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK1- ... SwnDxUbael

You can buy them here or loads of 8mm exhaust nuts available.

Membership No. 323
chopperoli

Post by chopperoli »

On some models there is a small bracket which connects the 2 manifolds together behind there too

Roccomart

Post by Roccomart »

Guys thank you very much for your input... You have all covered everything that is going through my mind so far!
Sealant!!!! I really have been thinking hard about that before you mentioned it but was trying hard to waive that past as I like to believe there really aren't that many idiots out there!! Probably wrong aren't i? But I certainly will not discard that thanks
Thank you also for sending those ideas for 7zap but my extensive search brought them very wisely to my communication equipment already and have used them to view break downs of the engine and part numbers for head bolts!!!
Small bracket!!! I have felt behind and thought there was a small bracket! I shall investigate further using my mobile!

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

It's heavy but possible as I've done it.... Pull the head off the engine block with the exhaust and inlet manifold attached to it then you can get a good look at the back to see if anything is still holding it on....

Membership No. 323
Roccomart

Post by Roccomart »

SUCCESS!!!!!! Thanks guys I have located and removed the 2 missing bolts and lo and behold the engine did what every engine I have ever worked on should do.... It fell apart!
Thanks again for your invaluable tips

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Yeah, good to hear you have it in bits and now the fun begins...

Membership No. 323
Roccomart

Post by Roccomart »

So an update.... Had the head skimmed, cleaned the block and now putting it all back together! As mark1 says... Now the serious stuff begins!!!! tightening the head bolts!!! I have 2 different torque settings given by 2 different sources.... The Haynes manual says 30/44 and the head bolt manufacturer says 40/60 !!!!!! Both with the half turn to finish. What do I do?

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

The bolt manufacturers are quoting Newton meters (Nm) which is 40 Nm then 60 Nm then 1/2 turn.
Old school Ibf ft is 30, 44 then 1/2 turn so both are right but depends on what measurements are on your torque wrench.

If you check in the Haynes manual it’s all there for you...

Membership No. 323
Roccomart

Post by Roccomart »

Didnt notice that,,, thanks for that and set at 40/60...