Fitting Oil Temp Sender

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Simonpiemon
fill in the right answer: 15

Fitting Oil Temp Sender

Post by Simonpiemon »

Want to fit an oil temperature gauge and sender. Just had the oil done so want to avoid drilling and draining the sump tank. Is there a blanking plate or something I could run it off?

Thanks

mr.brown

Re: Fitting Oil Temp Sender

Post by mr.brown »

Look at the top of the oil filter housing. There will most likely be a pressure switch and a blank where you can fit the oil temp sender. Depending on model you may already have one fitted and/or the wiring may already be there (green wire w/black stripe)

Simonpiemon

Post by Simonpiemon »

Thanks,

There's a yellow cable but that's it. Looks like a spark plug type fitting. The only black and green cable I can find is coming out of a sensor much further up near spark plugs could this be it?

Thanks

Simon

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

What fuel system/engine/year?

Simonpiemon

Post by Simonpiemon »

1.8 petrol 1989.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Simon

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

Since you don't already have an oil temp sender I'll assume you have a 1.8 carb EX code engine. I'll get a picture from an actual EX engine tomorrow but this is the oil filter housing. It may only have one sensor fitted - oil pressure with yellow wire - but the other hole/holes will have removeable blanks which will take a standard M10 thread VDo type oil temp sender as found on injection models.

https://www.mecatechnic.com/img/photos/zoom/C213988.jpg

Simonpiemon

Post by Simonpiemon »

Thanks I've located the housing and yellow wire. Are both those threads on that photo blanks? With one of them being used for the pressure sensor I have fitted?

Thanks

Simon

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

Simonpiemon wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:47 am Are both those threads on that photo blanks? With one of them being used for the pressure sensor I have fitted?
Yes. There should be a blanking bolt fitted in the unused hole.

The picture below is from my 85/86 EX engine but I assume yours will be the same. As you can see mine already has an oil temp sender fitted (it was in a mk1 so only the pressure switch on the cylinder head is required).

Be very careful when unscrewing the blanking bolt as it's made of cheese and will round out that allen head at the first chance..

Simonpiemon

Post by Simonpiemon »

That's great so this one for the temp sender? thanks you've been much help. Will I need to drain the oil first? Also do you think I could piggyback an existing cable off my yellow oil pressure sensor cable for an oil press. Gauge? Or is it just a switch? Sorry I'm a total novice

Thanks

Simon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

Yes that's where you can fit the sender.
No, you won't need to drain the oil.
Do make sure the sender has a washer with it though.

You'll need to get a sender and gauge which having matching range - 0-150 C is the most common.
Typically a VDO gauge will have 3 terminals - power (ignition NOT permanent), earth and one marked G.
There'll also be two connections for the light bulb.

Wiring it in may seem daunting at first but it's not that hard, Just make sure you have wire, spade connectors and a crimp tool handy.

Simonpiemon

Post by Simonpiemon »

Brill thanks. I've wired up a battery gauge already which is a stack meter seems pretty reliable. Going to try get a sender for a stack oil temp gauge but struggling to find one. So long as the range and thread size is the same will any suffice? Found loads of unbranded ones on ebay.

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

The Stack OIl Temp Gauge that I've seen is also 150 C so a standard sender should be fine.

Simonpiemon

Post by Simonpiemon »

Brilliant thankyou for all your help