Mk2 prices

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Porsche911
fill in the right answer: 15

Mk2 prices

Post by Porsche911 »

Hi all what is a gtx 95k on clock restored in excellent condition worth today ? Cheers

mr.brown

Re: Mk2 prices

Post by mr.brown »

It depends what "restored" means. Personally, I wouldn't consider a "glass out respray" to be "restored".

Restored, to me, means stripping the shell down to bare metal top to bottom, inside and out, including underneath - and then having a professional, reputable bodyshop respray it.

Completely stripped, professionally resprayed, engine, fuel system etc rebuilt I would say at least £5k, more likely £7k upwards (bear in mind it probably cost the owner over £10k to have all that work done by someone else).

Aardent

Post by Aardent »

Agree with mr brown on all points mine will have cost over £10k to restore when done for a full strip down...

'84 Storm-Cosmos Blue...
'83 GL Single wiper
'90 Merc 500 SEC
plus a couple of daily's
and a few classics on reserve !
scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

Be careful buying any " bare metal stripped vehicle"

Its car abuse not resto if done wrong but the ill informed are ripe and have more cash than sense.

Was the environment correct on strip? was the due point respected and the shell 5c above it? Was corrosion inhibitors used in between bare to paint?

So we're the conditions anywhere near factory or worse?

In most cases no so its good paint off shiney new moisture trap on.

My warning on all the hype after seeing alot of failure and ruined cars.

Signed a Media blaster :)

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

scirocco_ne wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:34 am Be careful buying any " bare metal stripped vehicle"

Its car abuse not resto if done wrong but the ill informed are ripe and have more cash than sense.

Was the environment correct on strip? was the due point respected and the shell 5c above it? Was corrosion inhibitors used in between bare to paint?

So we're the conditions anywhere near factory or worse?

In most cases no so its good paint off shiney new moisture trap on.

My warning on all the hype after seeing alot of failure and ruined cars.

Signed a Media blaster :)
totally agree
not to mention the origenal paint on many cars is better than most aftermarket so to remove it can be foolhardy.
bare metal i dont agree with unless your dealing with a pre 90s car with no pre existing cavity protection, especially when acid dipping has many a horror story!
to be honest put the car up for whatever you think its worth and what you want, the stony silence will tell you if youve gone too high.
this day and age its a very mixed bag for what sells and what doesnt.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!