Not quite new member

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
joe2roccs
fill in the right answer: 15

Not quite new member

Post by joe2roccs »

Hi folks... I'm not quite a new member more of a reinvigorated member .. my first car was a mk1 gli back in 1988... loved it ..no doubt it is long gone now .. bit I've since had 3 mk2 s .. and I've just taken possession of a 91 scala...
And so to the rebuild ... it's pretty food apart from a nudge at the back which it will go in to have straightened ..but more immediate is running problems.. I suspect fuel starvation .
1st question is how do I upload a photo to here .. I have a piece of engine I don't recognise ..I thinks it's aftermarket ... so I was going to show you all a pic in the hope someone can help.. I think it's something to do with breathing ..

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Not quite new member

Post by mark1gls »

If you can download the tapatalk app on your phone then take the picture on the phone and upload it to your post, easiest way I’ve found to post pics.

Other ways is get a flicker account and share a link to your pics.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
kidcrewbob

Post by kidcrewbob »

If it’s got a Weber conversion try blocking the fuel return pipe - it was the last thing I tried with same symptom and wished it had been the first!! Several threads on here about it - basically it can intermittently send too much too fast back to the tank causing momentary starvation and in my case, a stall where a few mins standstill were required to allow it to normalise.

Seen a few threads where where folk are busting a gut to try and make it work with the return but as far as I am concerned it’s just not needed AFAIK and mine is running superbly now with the return neatly blocked off with a couple of snugly fitting bolts.

If it’s a Pierburg carb then that may be different.

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

The 91 Scala is fuel injected. And it's a much more complicated system than your old mk1 GLi.

First steps would be to remove and inspect the lift pump (and fuel tank whilst the lift pump is out). Get a Haynes manual if you haven't already - you're going to need it ;-)

kidcrewbob

Post by kidcrewbob »

Ah right Mr B - my bad!

joe2roccs

Post by joe2roccs »

It is indeed fuel injected .. the is for all the help so far guys ... gonna check the tank for the dreaded filler neck crap first then I've ordered an injector seals kit ..it's a case of trial and error I think .. I will keep you informed ..

joe2roccs

Post by joe2roccs »

I'm back..... still haven't completely sorted the scala.. it's currently with a mate who's a Rocco fan ...it's running but not sweetly yet .... however..lockdown has taken me back to my 92 gt.. it's been sat for 10 years but is now back in full flow ... running lovely ... fitted a new stereo ... and next task is change of suspension .. wish me luck ...