Wont turn over or idle

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
RoccoRhys
fill in the right answer: 15

Wont turn over or idle

Post by RoccoRhys »

Someone help me please!!!
So i was driving along all was fine, i gave it some welly and when i came to stop she stalled! , tried to start her up again and she said no!
I managed to get her started with a little bit of gas and gently got it home.

Now it wont start and if i do mangae to start there is no idle?
Any help??

1992 gt2 carb

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

GT_II

Re: Wont turn over or idle

Post by GT_II »

Is the starter motor turning the engine over ok?

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
scrumpyone
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by scrumpyone »

Fuel filler neck?

Dave

Register No:1110
'79 MK1 GLS (R.I.P.)
'91 MK2 GT2 (alive & kicking)
RoccoRhys

Post by RoccoRhys »

The neck fuller is not in a good way, i have it booked in for early next month, i just went out to start her and it started with a little gas then iddle fine. Bloody car just gave it v power and a clean. Never happy

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Find the fuel line coming into the engine bay and before the fuel pump, usually has the little fuel filter on it and where it joins the filter or another pipe disconnect it and blow down the fuel pipe into the fuel tank, you should hear bubbles in the tank.
It takes a bit of puff to blow down it but you should be able to do it just using your mouth.
This will make sure the fuel intake is clear.

Does sound like you have sucked up some dirt/rust and it got stuck on the in tank filter (if it's still fitted) and when the car sat for a while the dirt/rust has fell back into the tank so you could start it again.
Last edited by mark1gls on Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

You said it wont turn over...Do you mean it wont run?

If it wont turn over then you have an issue with the battery, starter, ignition switch or associated wiring,

If your car turns over but doesn't fire it'll be one of the following in some form or another;

1. Fuel
2. No compression
3. No spark

Fuel - To test the first pull the fuel line off the carb and turn the engine over....Is fuel coming out?

If not then perhaps your fuel lines are blocked, you have no fuel, perished hose, debris in the lines, clogged filter, bad pump

Compression - No compression, a little less likely from what you've described, but compression test them, ether using a tester or relative compression.

Spark - Pull a plug out, plug it back into the lead and rest it on part of the engine which is grounded. Have someone turn the engine over...Look for spark...Failure points here can be the leads, plugs, cap, rotor, distributor, ignition module, coil or associated wiring.

Doing those tests should give you some direction to go in.

- David
unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

Also a carb rebuild kit goes a long way...It doesnt take much dirt and grime to upset a carb...Rebuild kits are cheap and it's not difficult to do, just have a diagram next to you..After a couple of goes you'll be doing it with your eyes closed

- David
C 20 CCO

Post by C 20 CCO »

If you have an in line fuel filter catching all the debris then this may not be an issue. On the carb where the rubber fuel pipe locates, check inside the metal neck for a conical filter. Careful not to damage it when fishing it out. Is this ok?
Let us know how you’re getting on.....

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.
RoccoRhys

Post by RoccoRhys »

So little up date, changed the ignition coil after reading someone elses post and seems to have sorted it! Thanks guys